6 weeks and holding - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 weeks and holding 6 weeks and holding

Unread 01-04-2005, 08:52 AM
6 weeks and holding

Hi simon,
I'll be 6 weeks tomorrow and doing great. I came back to work full time yesterday. I was really tired last night but I'm probably going to expect that for awhile. I am also having trouble sleeping but I am counting on eventually getting tired enough to sleep through the night. I had my check up last week and was released for all activities. I also had intercourse for the first time last night. VERY GENTLY, not very deep, and for not very long (of course!). It didn't hurt a bit. I did pass a stitch for the first time immediately after. My belly still feels like a slight sunburn when I touch it but it seems to get less and less every day. I had a blood test when I went back and my blood level is still very low at 9.5. The normal is between 12 and 15. I chose to take myself off of iron as soon as my surgery was over against my Dr's wishes because I wanted to try to get my BM back on track naturally. It looks like I may need to continue the iron for awhile. That really frustrates me. I'm looking into what would happen, long term, if I didn't take the iron supplement. I feel 99% back to normal and my life is 100% back to normal. The two activities I still won't do are vacuum and allow my 90 pound golden retrievers to sleep ON my lap. I hope you all continue to heal well and TAKE IT EASY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2005, 09:27 AM
6 weeks and holding

Nice to hear from you jaaj!

I am glad to hear you are doing well! I also have some nights that I cant seem to find the right spot to sleep good. I still get a little achy, and have taken a tylenol pm which does the trick. Other wise, no medications.

I had the same problem as you with the anemia, from bleeding so much for so long. My iron level got down to 8.6. I could barely get through the work day. I would come home and be to tired to eat and go straight to bed. I was put on 500mg iron 2x daily prior to surgery and told to eat tons of red meat, which I am not a big fan of. I also went off the iron when i got home, it can really do strange things to your b.m. Now I have started back with a multi vitamin with iron which I have aways taken. With your iron level so low your return to work must be exhausting for you.

Glad to hear your first "encounter" went well for you. I LOL over the "for not to long, of course!"
Unread 01-04-2005, 10:30 AM
6 weeks and holding

Simon,
I had a blood transfusion two days before my surgery due to low blood count. Is yours still only 8? I guess I can count myself lucky to be at 9 then! I have not had normal BM's in 10 years because of the massive doses of iron and now I'm regular for the first time in a long time. Did you fight with constipation when you were on iron? I would have a vicious cycle of stool softner, fiber, then resort to laxatives and start all over again the next week. Did you have the same problems? Are your vitamins doing enough for you? Maybe I could go that route. You grow use to the feeling of anemia. I think I wouldn't know what to do with real energy! How bout you? Hopefully, for all of us energy will be a welcome result of our surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2005, 11:22 AM
6 weeks and holding

jaaj:

I reached 9.3 1 week prior to surgery, so no blood transfusion was needed. In the hospital they tested it and it was really good. I had to force the red meats to get it there. Since surgery I have not had it retested. Prior to my bleeding problems, I have only been anemic when pregnant, so I dont feel that it is a problem for me right now. I have just always taken multi with iron. I did not have any of the problems with the iron that you had, other than at times it upset my stomach. I know what you mean about getting use to the low energy level. I feel mine will not return till I get back to work, I got so use to being a couch potatoe over the past 6 weeks., its draining. I have a office job, not to strenuous, so it souldnt be to bad, just a long day with the commute.
Unread 01-04-2005, 07:49 PM
6 weeks and holding

Hi, Simon!

Glad you can sleep on the old Metra instead of having to drive, just be sure not to sleep through your stop! Do you have a long walk after you get off? You might want to be careful not to overdo it and if you're downtown, will you be able to take a cab?

Take care of yourself and don't overdo it! Especially with the big snow that's coming!

Sara
Unread 01-05-2005, 07:15 AM
6 weeks and holding

Thanks for the info simon. Still weighing my options on the iron. There are no foods that can supply the amount of iron I am needing to sustain an acceptable level. So my options are to continue to feel the way I feel with low blood count or have difficult BM's. At this point I am choosing the low blood count. We'll see what happens. Good luck to you at work tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you. Now if us 6 weekers could just sleep............
Unread 01-05-2005, 08:28 AM
6 weeks and holding

Sorry that I could not be of more help with the iron. Consider the multi with iron, it should help you a little and not cause you all the problems because of the low dosage. Thanks for thinking of me. I slept in for the last time this a.m.

I do actually work downtown, catch metra then the "L" to work. Otherwise it is about a mile to walk. I am not up to that right now. Especially with the snow!!! You must be close by SaraS?
Unread 01-05-2005, 08:52 AM
6 weeks and holding

I will be 6 weeks on Monday 1/10/05 I have been back to work since 12/13/04 staying 4-6 hours a day. Went back to full time 8-10 hours a day on 12/27/04 No real problems except not being able to sleep through the night. I wake every 2-3 hours for no reason. I am so tired all the time because of not enough sleep. I have been pretty much pain free since about a week after surgery. Had a TAH 11/29/04 kept nothing. I have had a few bad days of just not feeling right but they pass and every thing is good. I feel better now then I have in years. I cant beleive in the UK they give you so much recovery time. I was going nut after 2 weeks of being home.
Unread 01-05-2005, 10:15 AM
6 weeks and holding

kmgau: Wow you returned to work real early!! Are the 8-10 hour days wearing on you? I would like to return for 1/2 days,
but my commute is so long it is not worth it.

I am glad to hear you are feeling well, wonder what it is that causes the restless sleep? I sleep pretty good most of the time. only had a few nights of tossing and turning trying to find that right spot to sleep in.
Unread 01-05-2005, 10:30 AM
6 weeks and holding

Not sure about the sleping problem either see mr Dr 1/6 for check up will talk to hom about it. I was told could me a problem with hrt. When released from hospital didnt want to go the HRT route but after 4 weeks I gave in and put a patch on to see if that resolved the problem it is getting a little better but not much. I am very tired at the end of each day but it gets a little less each day. I do have a sedate job. Work on the computer all day and I am able to get up and walk when ever I need to so it make it easier. But am doing great.

I was scared when I found out needed this surgery and expected it to be much worse but gald to say no where near as painful as I thought it would be

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register