staples & bleeding | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

staples & bleeding staples & bleeding

Unread 01-04-2005, 08:25 AM
staples & bleeding

I had surgery 12/27 & have vertical incision with staples that are to be removed 1/6. Last week I had trouble getting up out of chair & this week I can do that by myself so I guess you call that improvement. I do not have as much burning as last week, just deep inner soreness that gives me fits at night as I just cannot reach a level of comfort. I noticed a little spot of blood on pj's yesterday & today around top staple at belly button, does that mean I am not healing. I expected staples to itch, but no itching & the idea of getting them out makes me shiver, but guess there have been worse things!!!! Here I am again on this wonderful site with question 101
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2005, 08:32 AM
staples & bleeding

It is probably nothing, you probably just moved or hit that staple causing it to bleed, but if the bleeding gets bad, you might want to call your doc and let him/her know about it.
Unread 01-04-2005, 09:27 AM
staples & bleeding

Hello!
I had a lot of bleeding from my incision and my doc kept reassuring me that it would be fine, and now it is! I had bleeding from 3 spots since the surgery, and they took longer to heal, but heal they did.

The staple removal is usually a piece of cake. Since I had complications with surgery, my belly was very sore and some of the staples stung when removed. Wasn't anything I couldn't handle. The vast majority of women experience no pain with staple removal.

Best of luck with a speedy recovery--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2005, 12:04 PM
staples & bleeding

I had surgery on 12/28 and got my staples (18 of them) out yesterday afternoon. I was aprehensive about having them removed and I'd noticed that my incision was a little red yesterday morning so I was worried about infection. Well, the nurse said that staples can irritate your skin and that is why I had the redness. When she removed the staples I didn't have any pain - would describe it more as a little sting or pinch - nothing too bad at all.
Unread 01-04-2005, 01:10 PM
staples & bleeding

I ended up with stitches instead of staples, but like you had no itching to speak of. My stitches came out exactly 1 week after surgery and everything was fine. I had little scabs were there had been a small amount of bleeding, and I was TERRIFIED that my incision was going to pop open - couldn't convince myself that I was healed enough at 1 week to have stitches removed! But I was and I've had NO trouble so far. I'm now 4 weeks post op today!
~Tammy
Unread 01-04-2005, 02:12 PM
staples & bleeding

I had sixteen staples, and after all that I had been through with the surgery having them out at one week was a piece of cake! However, my staples did bleed a bit before and after they were removed. The worst part was that the MD put tape over my incision after he took the staples out and I was allergic to the tape. I was supposed to leave that tape on for two weeks until it "fell off" but I scratched it off after three days! Please don't worry though, the staple removal should be nothing for you to worry about, you have already been through the worst of it.:-)
Unread 01-04-2005, 05:40 PM
staples & bleeding

I have 21 staples and am having them out tomorrow AM. In the hospital I noticed some staining from the staples. Since I've been home they are red and get sore about every 6 hours. I have a low grade fever but no discharge from any of the staples. I'm glad to hear it doesn't hurt because I'm a little nervous also. I will take my pain meds before leaving the house!! Good luck.
Pat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register