5 days post op looking for eating tips | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 days post op looking for eating tips 5 days post op looking for eating tips

Unread 01-04-2005, 09:12 AM
5 days post op looking for eating tips

Hello!

I'm home and doing pretty good other than I can't get a handle on constipation vs diahria and always either blocked gas or my stomach feeling like it has a brick in it. I'm moving around great, it's just that my stomach is always acting up.

They gave me stool softners before I left. I took another that night. Another the next night. Finally tried Milk of Mag. Tried it again and whammo! diahria for 24 hours.

Also went off painkillers day 2 thinking that might be adding to my constipation.

I've been trying for my typical foods. Chamomile tea, cereal w/raisons w/soy milk a.m., salad or half sandwich with broth lunch, and light dinner of same sort. prunes, popcicles for desert... This doesn't seem to be working. Any foods I should try/avoid? Have I been eating too much too soon?

Maybe I shouldn't be trying to eat "normal" yet? My Mom said my does my stomach feel "bruised". Yep, but why, they weren't messing around with it?

Any tips would be helpful. As soon as I get this "gas" or lack thereof figured out, I think I'll be feeling great and write my castle story.

Hope all my Dec 30 "mates" are doing well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2005, 09:43 AM

I ate pretty much my same stuff too, but much less. I didn't have much of an appetite yet at 5 days. I also didn't get the gas/b-m issue resolved until about 2 weeks. I think moving around helps things move along inside too. I think the anesthesia still in your system does something to your appetite, and the taste of the food. I didn't get back to enjoying my meals until a couple of weeks. I found that everyday was different, and I gauged my progress on a weekly basis, it was easier to see the improvement that way. Best wishes and take care!!
Leslie
Unread 01-04-2005, 11:46 AM

Anesthesia slows EVERYTHING down and pain killers (even oral ones) turn everything inside into cement. You need to drink lots of water and take Sennacot (sp?). There is a hormone that your brain produces called Senna that makes you regular. With anesthesia and pain killers, you need to give it a kick-start. Sennacot is a natural laxative and it really works! Another great product is Equalactin --- it is very mild.
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2005, 12:06 PM

Kimberly,
I have to say that these issues have been the most challenging part of my recovery. I am trying to eat more fruit, vegies, and whole grains. I take stool softener 2 times a day. I have not been able to eat any garlic or sauce. I drink a LOT of water. I am just starting to feel better with this and I think walking around the hose has helped a lot. Good luck.
Unread 01-04-2005, 01:34 PM

It took several weeks for me to feel as though everything in my GI tract was working properly after my surgery. I also went back and forth between the various bathroom troubles in a matter of hours sometimes!

In my case, there was an organ the size of a soccer ball removed from my abdomen, which meant my intestines, stomach, and other organs all had to rearrange themselves. No wonder my system rebelled against me......

I finally found relief with smaller meals, and a more bland diet. I found I really needed to take the stool softeners religiously, and I found I couldn't eat many strong-flavored foods because they just didn't agree with my system or my tastebuds.

Good luck to you!
Unread 01-04-2005, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to do them all!!! Today is better, but maybe 'cause I'm hardly eating. Same meals, just even smaller. I have been walking around everyday. From day 2 I've been taking care of myself with meals and such. Today I even unloaded the dishwasher (very slowly). Anyway, I'll keep moving, keep the meals real small, small amount of nuts and fruit in between, and I'll look into the Sennecot and meanwhile I'll take a stool softner tonight...

Thanks again!
Unread 01-04-2005, 03:02 PM

Postop what worked best for me was eating a few small meals a day. It took a while to even "feel" like eating as for some reason I did not get hunger pangs. As long as you remain hydrated do not worry so much about eating huge amounts. Take a multivitamin if you are worried about getting enough nutrients and just give it some time. Hope all goes well
Unread 01-04-2005, 03:17 PM

I found that jello and pudding was nice to have. And plain old white toast with butter. It will get better!
Unread 01-04-2005, 04:04 PM

I recommend fruit smoothies and creamed soups -- do you have a blender or can you borrow one? This way you get good nutrition but in a form that might be a little easier on your innards till things get going. That's what I did. Small meals, & about 3 smoothies a day, plus soup -- any veggies you care to throw in a soup base, then just puree it all.
Hope that helps a little & that you get feeling better soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register