Why more of a restriction than from a TAH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why more of a restriction than from a TAH? Why more of a restriction than from a TAH?

Unread 01-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Why more of a restriction than from a TAH?

Hello
I was just wondering why there is more of a weight lifting restriction from a posterior repair, than from a TAH?
My dr. said I will not be allowed to lift over the equivelance of a gallon of milk for 4 weeks. It was 2 weeks for the hyst.
How is the recovery compared to the recovery from the TAH?
I am just curious and wondering what to expect.

Thanks
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2005, 07:57 PM
restrictions

I really don't know-I had the rectocele repair at the same time as the hysterectomy. I only had restrictions that said "no strenous activities for 4 weeks" The doc said he used some dissolvable stitches that would take up to 3 or 4 months to dissolve so that area would be extra strong while healing.

He told me not to lift over 25 pounds, and not to jog, do aerobics or strenous exercise. These were the same restrictions as for the gynecologic surgeries.

When I started back on more strenuous activities with the doc's approval, the trainer said to remember to breathe-that helps reduce the pressure that can cause hernias.

All doctors have slightly different instructions, and you should ask yours about the restrictions. Everyone has slightly different repairs and areas of tissue removed, etc.

Good luck with your repairs
Unread 01-04-2005, 08:10 PM

Hello Sweet Peggy!!
I would assume that it would have something to do with your history, or he thinks if he says 4 weeks, you will be good for 2!!

Follow his orders!! If you really need to know, ask him. I am sure he has a good reason, and you will follow those orders Dear Peggy or I will be down to deal with you!!

Love
Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2005, 08:21 PM

Hi (((Peggy))))

I had the posterior repair at the same time as my hyst, but my doctor insisted that I needed to continue being careful not to lift or strain even beyond the initial 6 weeks of recovery. He told me that it was to protect the repairs.

I know that those stitches (I knew it was the ones involving the posterior repair because the associated aches were at the back of the vagina and along the back of the perinial area) took a looooong time to disolve. The last ones I noticed were as much as several months down the road . So there might have been an added vulnerability.

It may also be because once we've had a prolapse, we're vulnerable to further prolapses. By avoiding any strenuous activity for as long as possible, we're giving those stitches a change.

That would be a good question to ask at your Pre-Op, since your doctor may have an explanation other than the one I was handed.
Unread 01-05-2005, 12:28 AM

thanks sisters

I will be having derm graft applied during the procedure. He said he usually uses sutures, but because I already have pain with sex he will use a derm graft and will explain that to me at pre op appt. Now, I think I have a cystocele too and am leaking a small amt. of urine when I bend and stand up from sitting down. I told this to my dr. Monday, so he ordered the urodynamic testing for Thursday. He said I may also need bladder repairs. He doesn't know if I have another prolapse, so I will have the urogyn I see Thursday check this out for me. The worst part is not knowing if bladder and/or anterior repair is needed too and if my surgery will be moved back.
I have become very impatient as of late. I just want it all over with!

Peggy

p.s. I plan on being a model patient this time. no more being superwoman. It just didn't pay. I think this has caused me some of these abdominal problems. My house can fall apart this time. As long as I have a warm home and food in my mouth I will be content!
Unread 01-05-2005, 07:33 AM

Dear Peggy:

I'm sorry to hear about the additional surgery needed

Factors that can worsen prolapse are: being overweight, smoking (that darn coughing!) and a job/lifestyle of heavy lifting. I have read that some docs want their patients to avoid lifting over 20 pounds forever.

I hope you are able to achieve satisfactory results this time. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 01-05-2005, 08:44 AM

My gyn told me the restrictions are to keep the repair from failing. After all, you don't want to have to go through this ever again!

He also said that with the graft repair, once I heal fully I won't have any restrictions on lifting. I couldn't lift more than eight pounds for the first four weeks, and under no circumstances am I allowed to become constipated or to create additional abdominal pressure for a full three months. After that I can work my way back to normal activity levels.

I have to do Kegels too even though incontinence has never been a problem for me. I had three prolapses which he says means I'm pre-disposed towards a weak pelvic floor, and building the muscles up there will help prevent more problems.

Be prepared to have trouble sitting though. I felt great otherwise after the first couple weeks, but it took six to seven weeks before I could sit comfortably.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register