10wks post op. More sore now than earlier?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

10wks post op. More sore now than earlier?? 10wks post op. More sore now than earlier??

Unread 01-05-2005, 05:36 AM
10wks post op. More sore now than earlier??

Hi all

I am a bit worried as I am now 10 weeks post op and I have had to go back to taking my pain killers three times a day, having not taken any for about 2 weeks or so and even before that, I was just taking Ibuprofen about 1 or 2 times a day.

I was feeling great around the 8 week mark, but maybe started to do too much?? I did quite a bit of Christmas shopping in the week leading up to Christmas and made most of the Christmas Day meal, although I had to get my husband to serve it up as I was absolutely exhausted and SO sore. I have been really sore ever since, although maybe the pain is abating a bit now. I am back on the pain killers I was prescribed when I left hospital and am also back to doing almost nothing in the way of shopping or housework, leaving it all to my poor husband again. He doesnt mind but I feel at 10 weeks I should be feeling well enough to go back to work and cope with household tasks etc., but if anything I feel worse now than I did 2 weeks ago. I really cant see myself being able to go back to work next week and I just feel I am going backwards.

I have a really sore lower back and my sides (left side especially) are very painful too. I have also put on about 1 stone in the 10 weeks I have been at home and wonder if that could be putting pressure on my internal stitches etc.

Anyone else had similar experience??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2005, 07:18 AM

Hi Anne11,

I'm sorry you're feeling bad.

I had my surgery the same day as yours. I too found that over the Holidays I felt worst than I had in some weeks. I would get tired early afternoon and had to take a few naps!! which I quit after the first 3 weeks post op. Swelly belly was more present and had to unbutton my pants a few times (fortunately I wore long shirts/sweaters). Before the holidays at home, I was feeling really great & doing everything or so I thought. I guess this brought reality back...
I put it down to doing more: more shopping, sitting in straight chairs too long, picking up my sisters babies, 3 hours car ride, handling luggage, helping my mom with dinner for 16 people, etc.

I went back to work on Monday (desk job), I felt tired after work, big case of swelly belly and sore soreness. Tuesday was better so I had the stupid idea last night to exercise... I had exercised in the last 2 weeks and felt fine (low impact aerobics tape). Well it seems newly going back to work + exercise don't mix well. My belly is very sore with a burning sensation and I had to take pain killers last night. This morning is slightly better.

Fortunately I work 4 days/week and I'm off today, so I'll be able to take it easy.

Take care and I hope you get better soon.

Annie
Unread 01-05-2005, 07:19 AM

Dear Ann11,

I am sorry to hear you are hurting like this. I can relate,because all the shopping, cooking, cleaning and fun of Christmas took it's toll on me too. I am further along than you and it wasn't as bad, but I pulled out my pain meds a few times to get through it too.

I think you need to take a couple of days and just rest. It may take a little time for you to work back into what you were doing before. If this continues it might be good to call and just check with you dr. It is always a good idea to find out instead of worrying and wondering if you are going to be ok.

If you think about it 10 weeks isn't really that long in a recovery that takes 6 months to a year. It sounds like you have overdone and are experiencing a little set back. I hope you can get some rest and be back to feeling good soon.

s, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2005, 09:12 AM
recovery

As some other sisters have recently posted, this 4-6 week recovery time is not true for everybody. For some reason the medical community (maybe so we won't have to take too much time out from work whether it be at home or away) says we should recover in this amount of time, and any one who doesn't is a "slow healer." I think just giving us that label makes us feel worse, like the old "self-fulfilling prophecy." My surgery was on 10/25, and today is the first day I feel halfway decent, knock on wood. It just seems that some people bounce right back, others don't. Let's just pray that all of us will be "fine" some day! B.
Unread 01-05-2005, 09:19 AM

Isn't it nice to hear from others that have experienced what you're going through?

My surgery was the first week in October, so I'm just a few weeks ahead of you, but sometimes it feels like just last week.
The holidays took it toll on all of us, I'm sure. I had those burning sensations and "lightening bolts" that went across my stomach area. I still have the puffy feeling and sometimes it's worse than others.
Rest is the best cure - and when I look at all the Christmas decorations that need to be put away- I get more tired!!

Just take it easy - get lots of rest - the work will be there tomorrow and/or the next day (or week)

Hope 2005 is a good one for you.

Goldstar:
Unread 01-05-2005, 09:35 AM

Oh I am so glad I am not the only one going through this!

I honestly thought I was gaining weight. I could barely fit in any of my pants. I went and tried shopping over the holiday with some of my gift certificates and could not purchase a pair of pants that fit. I had to go a size up. I am joining Weight Watchers tonite but maybe its mostly swelly belly that is more prominent. OH yeah and those lightning bolts of pain are definately something for me too.

Ladies I have to say that we have just worked WAY TOO hard over christmas and we all need to jump on a cruise ship and take off 2 weeks just to rest!

Linda
Unread 01-05-2005, 09:53 AM

Hi. I am almost 6 months post op. I had a xmas set back. Pushing a 14lb. turkey around the grocery store is not recommended! Several months ago I recall reading a post here about a 4 month post op. person who did a bit of gardening. She had to go to the doctor the next day! The doc said she had set back recovery by weeks. The adhesions(scar tissue) forming inside are fragile for many months. You 10 weekers.. BEWARE and, more importantly, SLOW WAY DOWN!! Recovery fron the acute trauma of surgery may take 4-6 weeks but the internal healing takes much longer...6-12months. (I think that "slow healer"thing refers only to people who are having incision problems. )After my grocery store adventure,I was back to round the clock advil for a couple of days. I still take it at night. My swelly belly situation WAS much improved . It puffed back out for the holidays. But all is well today. I am here to tell you it takes TIME(note my surgery date). Don't set back your recovery FOR ANY REASON ! That's my New Years advise to everyone. It's tough because of family pressure,work pressure,wanting to feel well,testing the limits of how you are doing etc.
Unread 01-05-2005, 10:00 AM

I am 8 weeks post op and I too have had to go back on my pain meds this week! I over did it through New Year's driving to my sister's an hour and half away, stayed the night (4 hour nap), sat in uncomfortable chairs for over 8 hours playing board games. I felt like a truck hit me Saturday night. Took pain killers and went to bed. I layed around again on Sunday by Monday up and did major laundry (stairs needed) and felt back to square one again on Tuesday. Today I am doing very little. I start my Girl Scout meetings again tomorrow (haven't been with the girls since Nov. 7th for Camp) eager to make up for time lost. But also promised to carpool another GS troop to Build a Bear after my meeting!

All my girls start their sports up next week. I will be very busy driving them around to practices at night. I am that mom that stays through those practices too! If not coaching, watching. I can't imagine jumping back into work and then being carpool mom at night. No couch rest for me after work!! I might take an additional month of since I still can't do more than 3 hours at a time without needing a nap or a pill by night!!

This thread really made me feel not alone in the recovery process!! I felt like if I am not 100% in 6 weeks something was wrong with me. My husband questions why he can't have sex the next day after? Because (don't want him used to that!) I don't think physically my body can handle that. Only allowed him 3 times so far and I worry is that the problem??? But I am sure it's me overing doing the daily stuff. And of the course the holidays had me really popping pills on the day of just to get through it in one piece and not in pain!!
Unread 01-06-2005, 07:52 AM

Thank you all so much. It is so good to know that we are not alone in this healing process and that others feel the same way too. On the plus side, I am starting to feel human again and taking less in the way of painkillers each day. I am almost back where I was before Christmas and if nothing else this has been a painful lesson in not doing too much. I will just have to learn to take things more slowly.

Thank you all for taking the trouble to reply to my post.
Anne
Unread 01-06-2005, 09:04 AM

Wellll....JEEPERS what a relief to read this! Not that I wanted anyone else to feel the same way, of course. Anne, you and I even have the same date. (and we're the same age!) I was really wondering what the heck was going on???

I have to say, I've done nothing to bring this on. Not one thing. I'm back on otc pain meds too - all the time since last week. It's like it just came out of nowhere! I just can't believe it. Awhile back, I had marked on my calendar the 70 days from my first emergency to my hyst - and then 70 days to the future - which was last Sunday, and I always thought at 70 days out....(oh well)

And I was just saying on another post that it was so great to be able to say 'this all happened LAST YEAR'. Um....well, most of it, anyway!

joano

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register