emotional breakdown | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

emotional breakdown emotional breakdown

Unread 01-05-2005, 07:33 AM
emotional breakdown

Hi

I am sorry for not posting following my op in early december, but have had a few problems and not been up to much atall.

Well, last week my hubby managed to push me to see a gp as I have been very weepy and emotional since the op. The gp was very nice and says i am having a kind of emotional breakdown.

I am very upset, about most things, cant think straight atall, I am losing my grip on reality.

During the op i had the 6cm cyst removed, the right ovary and the ovarian mass on my left side, along with adhesions and 'various cystic forms' in the adhesions on the left side. surgery took 3 hrs.

So now i am on hrt patches, was sent back into hosp 10 days post op as i had a pelvic infection and a UTI

I am still getting pain, but it seems to be my bowel now... am so fed up with it all. I have been signed off work for the forseeable future.

I am so tired, but my nights are filled with nightmares. I cant take the sleeping tabs as they make me unable to function during the following day too.

my husband says i will get better, but i even though i have had depression in the past, i have never ever felt this awful.

can anyone offer me some hope? have you felt like this and find things getting better now? how long till i can think again?

love to all

kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2005, 07:41 AM
emotional breakdown

HI
I'M SORRY TO HEAR YOUR HAVING THESE KINDOF PROBLEMS.. ALL'S I CAN SAY IS "GIVE YOURSELF TIME" IT'S SO SOON. I HAD MY HYST LAST YEAR AND I'M JUST NOW FEELING LIKE MYSELF. YOUR BODY HAS BEEN THROUGH ALOT AND IT NEEDS TIME.
TAKE CARE AND LOTS OF GOOD LUCK
Unread 01-05-2005, 08:17 AM
emotional breakdown

klangran:

The nightmares and depression sound like a tough row to hoe.

I want you to give this a thought. If you are off work for the forseeable future, then why do you need to be alert? How do you need to function?

Why not try other sleeping pills? They don't all work the same and maybe your doctor can help you find one that doesn't impair you the next day, if that matters while you are recovering.

I think you are being WAY too hard on yourself ...expecting too much and that might be really fueling the depression. Also sleep deprivation can cause depression. Seems to me like you need to do something to get the upper hand here.

So, please, give yourself permission to heal. You have been through so much and deserve a complete rest. Don't be afraid to ask for all the help that you need to get through this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2005, 08:33 AM
emotional breakdown

I am sorry that you are going through such a difficult time right now. I agree with Michelle, try another sleep aid and see if that works better for you.
although you may be groggy during the day, if you are not getting any sleep that is more harmful to your well being. If you are not working, I also agree, then the grogginess shouldn't be a deciding factor.
I am glad you sought out help, I also experienced some depression after my hyst and after this last surgery.
Unread 01-05-2005, 11:14 AM
thanks for reply

thank you for replying

i suppose i am asking a bit much of myself, i just hate feeling so out of control.

as for the sleeping tabs, i have to be alert the following day as i have my son to take to school and just dont want to feel any less human than i already do. I dont want to have to ask people to take him to school I know, i should ask for the help, but i need some pride and it makes me feel even more of a failure.

I have delt with chronic illness for so long now, i am 31 and feel that life has passed me by so much already, i feel i am missing so much.

sorry to run on again
Unread 01-05-2005, 01:21 PM
emotional breakdown

Kate,

You really need to find a way to give yourself permission to just heal. There is NO shame in taking care of yourself. I do think the sleep deprivation is affecting your mental state. No clear thinking person would feel guilty about getting the needed rest to heal properly.

I'm going to fuss now .... Your child will not be permantly harmed if someone else takes him to school, provided you ask a responsible adult. I promise. No more guilt trips!

You need a break. Please, please ask for help. Maybe if you could ask for a couple of days help, you could catch up on your sleep. Once you are rested, your mind will be more clear and you will be less depressed, in my opinion.

Take care and do keep us posted.

Unread 01-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Tough to get through

I read your email and although I have not been through what you have been experiencing I want you to know I have had the weepiness my hormones ggive me.
Hang in there and I do hope you get soime relief soon
Susan H:
Unread 01-05-2005, 10:54 PM
emotional breakdown

Kate,

I just want you to know that each and everytime I was put to sleep for surgery afterwards I got so depressed. My mother told me that the anesthesia caused that, and to just be patience, it would get out of my system and I would be fine. If your surgery lasted 3 hours, it might take you a bit longer to get over it. That and your body has to recovery from the trama of surgery.

Just give yourself some time...you'll be feeling better before you know it.

Jeannie
Unread 01-06-2005, 01:30 AM
emotional breakdown

Hi there,

I am here in Perth Western Australia and I have the same prob of feeling like a zombie if I take any sleep medications. I then found a natural medicine called Valerian and that is wonderful. I take 2 tablets an hour before bed and I sleep well (no waking up all night) and I wake up feeling refreshed and zombie free. I found with conventional medicine I couldn't function the next day either so maybe give natural medicine a go.

Good luck
Sasha
Unread 01-06-2005, 06:04 PM
emotional breakdown

klangran, do you have people who are willing to take your son to school? If so, let them at it. This will actually give you MORE control. You are not in control of your health if you let driving your son dictate your healing. You need to take charge of your health. You are trying desparately to control the wrong things. We all do this, when the things we are able to control seem overwhelming. You CAN do this. By letting go you are controlling the situation, not in the manner you would like, but in the way that is best for all concerned. Does you son understand you are recoverng and that driving him is a hardship? If so, this is not healthy either. You really need to give yourself permission to heal. If you want control (as I know I do) sometimes you must let go. This will infact impower you more. If you do not let yourself recover, you will sabatage yourself into being out of control for much longer.
Be blessed, and rest!
Carrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register