Anyone observe new things about DH since surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone observe new things about DH since surgery? Anyone observe new things about DH since surgery?

Unread 01-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Anyone observe new things about DH since surgery?

I'm willing to bet that there are some women out there who never really knew just how good (or not so good) their DH/BF could handle things on their own until their significant others had surgery with a mandatory recovery period. What have you found out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2005, 10:46 AM

I found out that my DH is totally capable of...

1. Washing and drying dishes!!
2. Washing sheets and making a bed!
3. Vacuuming, sweeping and mopping.
4. Loading and unloading a dishwasher, washing machine and dryer!
5. Folding laundry.
6. IRONING...all be it a crappy attempt at it.
7. Cooking me an omelet for breakfast every morning and making me coffee.
8. Cleaning a TOILET and bathtub! With his hands...not a scrub brush!

And the grand daddy of all...

REPLACING THE TOILET PAPER ROLL!!!!!! Men can DO this! They just chose not to! Oh the deceit!

My 13 and 11 year old kids have been amazing as well! They CAN be domesticated and we, as moms/housewives have been deceived! If it takes a MAJOR surgery to get these guys domesticated, the BRING IT ON!!

Happy healing, sisters!

Sarah
Unread 01-05-2005, 10:57 AM

My DH puts the toilette seat down after he goes to the bathroom now. Unbelievable improvement! I guess he'd feel too guilty if, in the middle of the night, I went to the bathroom and fell down right in the toilette. That water underneath wouldn't be very good in my recovery process...

Vera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2005, 11:06 AM

All I can say is I fell in love with my DH all over again after 18 years of marraige! Mine was an emergency hysterectomy so we were not prepared AT ALL. Dishes in the sink. Not a slice of bread in the house. No Christmas shopping done. I went into the ER expecting to get a transfusion and head home in few hours. I, instead, came home 4 days later after a hysterectomy. Well my DH immediately took two weeks off work. He NEVER left my side in and out of the hospital. The house was spotless with flowers on the table when I came home Thanksgiving day. He helped me up. Helped me down. Helped me up. Helped me down. Helped me up. Helped me down. (I guess you get the picture!) Helped me potty. Helped me shower. Helped me put lotion on. Helped me dress. Made me meals. Cleaned our house. Did our laundry. Fed our dogs. Grocery shopped. Helped me get comfortable with pillows, blankets ect. on a minute by minute basis sometimes! He was with me in the same room for the first week. He was never farther than a "Honey?" away. He also kept telling me how he would never want anything to happen to me, how he worried about me (all this because of the ER hyst I'm sure) and how he loved me. He has been the gem of a hubby. My surgery has brought us closer together and made us appreciate each other all over again.
Unread 01-05-2005, 11:34 AM

I haven't had my surgery yet but my DH is learning that he doesn't need a "list". He can figure it out all by himself. We have been talking about how I like the house to be clean when I lay in the living room recovery. So he has taken it upon himself to start cleaning it up and keeping it clean. It has made the stress before the surgery so much less because I know when I come home it will be clean.
Unread 01-05-2005, 11:42 AM

So christee is yours a postive DH or negative DH story? You can't start a thread without participating in it yourself!
Unread 01-05-2005, 12:12 PM

JAAJ

Sounds like you have a wonderful husband. He wouldn't happen to have a twin? I think that is one wonderful husband. Makes me wish mine was like that. Best of luck in your recovery.
Unread 01-05-2005, 12:16 PM

Dear Sisters,

My heart is warmed by your stories and positive experiences. We all know we are blessed when we read all the threads of dh's who don't do so well when put to the test.
I need to add here that my dh has been a gem. He also took time off of work and has been right here cleaning, cooking, driving the kids everywhere and making sure I don't over do. It has been awesome. I am sorry to say I was pleasantly surprised.
I know he has a new appreciation of me and all I do, plus is demonstrating his concern that I heal and be well. He is still doing most of the vacuuming, and carrying the laundry and if anything else heavy needs moved he is right on it.
I wanted to express my appreciation in some way on Christmas so I found a very sweet and mushy card and wrote my thank you's and I love you's in there. I also told him I had been bragging about him all over the internet. When he read it, he cried! We were both a mess.
My advice for the day is to find some way to let those guys know how much you love them.

's, Rita
Unread 01-05-2005, 12:52 PM

My DH is acting like he was the one who had surgery!! The first week I was home I would get out of bed in the AM to wake him and REMIND him to take the dogs out. He had the first week off from work and was sleeping almost all day in front of the TV. He did make dinner a few times and some dear people brought food over. he took care of the bills for the 1st time ever. ( It took him 45 min. to write 3 checks and he did do laundry. Because of the holidays he only had to work 3 days the next 2 weeks. I finally asked him 2 days before he had to return to work full time if he could clean some of the house. He got up for 10 MINUTES and vacuumed the dead flower petals off of the heater and then sat down in front of the TV again. The next morning I woke up and started cleaning. I cleaned for 3 hours ( slowly ) and was soo tired. He started to help about 2 1/2 into my cleaning and then sat down and watched TV when I sat down. GRRRRRRRR!!! One of his family members saw him at the store ( my 1st week home ) and thought he looked ragged ( I sent him to get a bath mat ) and called his Mom and they called to make sure HE was okay!
I have been doing light housework but getting very frustrated. The Christmas decorations and tree are still up and we are having new furnture delivered this Sat. Nowhere to put it because DH hasn't made any attempt to take out the old furniture or put Christmas things in the attic.
I'm trying to take care of myself as my recovery is not going as well as I had hoped. I had a lot of pain between my 3rd and 4th week. I'm feeling a bit better now and have increased my walking outside but still very sore at times and swollen.
Thanks for letting me vent and all of you who's husbands have been great --- CHERISH THEM!!!!!
Unread 01-05-2005, 01:47 PM

My DH has been wonderful through my recovery. I think more than I appreciate all he has done around the house and taking care of me....I'm grateful there has never been a mumble or complaint while taking on all these new jobs. He's a keeper!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register