South Beach Diet.....anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

South Beach Diet.....anyone? South Beach Diet.....anyone?

Unread 01-05-2005, 11:02 AM
South Beach Diet.....anyone?

I did this for a few months last year, but gradually went off it as the Holidays drew near. January I went back on it and am doing well. Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2005, 12:13 PM

As is usual with my attemptes to change eating habits, I went on then off the South Beach diet, but I did lose weight. I plan to resume after my surgery (and after all the comfort food is gone - LOL). I think it is a more balanced plan than some others out there For me, limiting carbs to whole grains, eliminating white flour products and sugar, is a good plan, I think I'm carb-addicted. Have you tried the cilantro-mayo on thinly sliced roast beef wrapped in bib lettuce? Yum! The ricotta desserts are good also. My doctor suggested I read the Suzanne Somers book on being sexy after fifty (not likely to happen in my case), and not only does she talk about hormones, she has some diet recipes and fitness books that kinda fit in with South Beach.
Unread 01-05-2005, 02:11 PM

I've on/ off lost a fair amount of weight over the past year or so, but am not the best at sticking with a particular plan. I don't like to "diet" as I've seen too many of my friends/coworkers go on and off different diets. South Beach seems to work for me, although wouldn't you think if I could do that I could just give up the sugar (my weakness) on my own? I too stay away from all the white stuff, but have an occasional potato of some kind.

I'll have to try the roast beef "wraps", they sound good. Have also heard from others about the ricotta desserts so will give those a try too.

I'll keep an eye out for Suzanne Somer's book as I like anything that may help me

I see that your surgery date is approaching....what I did before mine (that helped a lot!) was to eat pretty healthy and work out a lot. I really believe it helped my recovery.

Feel free to PM and I will keep in touch with you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2005, 02:15 PM

I've been on the SBD for almost a year. I lost 50 pounds on it and feel great. Of course, I pigged out over the holidays but am back on it to some degree. I cannot handle Phase One for very long so i just do Phase Two as best as I can. I love it and find it easy to follow even when I eat out. Still have 40 or so pounds to lose......

Emily
Unread 01-05-2005, 03:28 PM
YOU pigged out?

I ate so much I was waiting to wake up one morning as a Christmas cookie! Regular ones I can resist, but add those little red and green sprinkles and I'm a goner!

I'm one of the lucky ones that work in an office so between potlucks and bake sales, I ate a huge amount of sweets! My husband and I also have our New Year's Eve tradition of fancy snacks, champagne and decadent desserts, so that was my last splurge and I started back on SB the following day.
Unread 01-15-2005, 11:26 AM

I started the South Beach diet in August and did well for about 2 months then got so caught up in my gyn problems and ate whatever I wanted. After my surgery I didn't have much of an appetite, but ate small portions of whatever the neighbors sent over. At about 3 weeks I decided to try back on South Beach and it's much easier to stick to it now. I love the Laughing Cow cheesse as a snack and also the fudgepops1 The ricotta desserts are fabulous. I borrowed the cookbook from a friend and am trying new recipes and loving them especially the Souffle Chicken, Grilled Pork Chops, and Chicken Capri, and I am so looking forward to trying the cocnut Chicken.
Unread 01-17-2005, 08:10 AM

I started SBD May 1, 2003. I have lost 52#. The weight came off real fast for the first 4 months---then at a more medically accepted rate of 1/2-1 # per week. Of course, the Holidays did cause me to stray some. I survived Thanksgiving without cheating and only briefly cheated at Christmas/New Years'....but then I've started back on Phase 1 (the first time was easy, this time is harder) I am hoping to loose quickly at first again!!! I want to loose another 30 #!!! For me South Beach has been the easiest diet I ever followed!!! And, my lab work shows it worked! My triglycerides were above 500 and in 4 months dropped to 150!!!! I also have been able to drop one of my blood pressure meds!!! My Insulin level went from 40 back down to 12!!! My glucose went from avg. 130's to 80's!!! So, even though I'm not wearing the size of clothes I'd like to, I know my health is improved!!! I definately feel better!!! I go to CURVES 3 days a week and walk every day and do weight lifting 2 days per week!!! I have lost 42" since June!!! I HIGHLY recommend SBD!!!!

Good Luck!!!
Ronda
Unread 01-17-2005, 11:56 AM

my dh and I both started the SBD 10 days ago. I've lost 5 lbs as of this morning.

We're finding it quite easy- it just took a bit of thinking for how to organize ourselves for the snacks and a different kind of breakfast.

We're both enjoying it and don't really feel that we are dieting at all (ok.... I miss my bread, but apart from that it is really easy- and pleasant) we aren't suffering, and we feel good.
The first few days I felt hungry all the time, but I think it was largely psychological! lol

(

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register