Why won't my head stop pounding? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why won't my head stop pounding? Why won't my head stop pounding?

Unread 01-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Why won't my head stop pounding?

Ladies... I need real help here. My head is pounding and it WON'T stop. It seems only to respond a bit to Tylenol. I see other posts where it is mentioned that others have frequent headaches.... any idea as to what is causing it? Is it becaue of the BSO and not on HRT? HELP. I just took another dose of Tylenol and I pray and hope it will work. I just can't function like this.

My other problem is SLEEP .... or lack of I should say. I just can't sleep. I have tried everything. I did the Ovaltine stuff, and it was wonderful to drink... but did not do too much for me. I just lay there and flash and stare at the ceiling and pray for sleep. It just won't come... and when it does... I flash again. I can't do HRT with my endo. I just don't know what else to try or do to get some sleep. I was so cold when I finally did wake up this morning.... and I was soaked with sweat. (sorry... ewwwwie gross).

Any ideas? I am about open to anything at this point. I have begun to realize that surgical menopause is no fun!

Thanks!
Andi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2005, 12:45 PM

Hi, Andi...I'm Sara...I could've written your post last week...I had my surgery 12/8...I was not put on any HRT, but chose to start minimal today...I also had/have endo, but I couldn't/won't live with the migraines...from what I've learned, it can be a combination of the drop of estrogen and/or rebound headaches if you've been taking motrin/tylenol for pains...I spent 3 days last week w/headache, started throwing up that lasted for 12 hrs...had to have phenegran supp called in and firiocet for headaches, that when I took 2 it took the headache away in minutes...

It really ***** having a headache...they make the cool gel compresses that stick to your head that really helps me...also, strong doses of caffeine (but not chocolate) can help...I hope you feel better soon!
Unread 01-05-2005, 01:20 PM

It definitely could be the drop in estrogen, called mini migraines. Have you thought about HRT???? Talk with your doc about it and also check out hormone jungle or hormone alternatives message boards, they are very helpful, hang in there, hope you feel better soon

Kitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2005, 02:32 PM

When I had my hyst and decided to remove my ovaries too, I thought it would be the end of hormonal headaches. Well, Surprise! I too have been having daily headaches and didn't really relate them to hormonal changes until I saw it here and checked it out! I suffered from migraines before and I read that if you were suseptable to them prior to menapause, then don't be surprised to have them as a result. Boy! We just can't win, can we?
Unread 01-05-2005, 02:38 PM

I still have my ovaries, so this may or may not apply. I too had a difficult time sleeping. I noticed that after the nights I got very little sleep, I got a killer headache the following day and it would last for hours. Have you tried Excedrin Migraine? That's the only thing I could get to stop them.

Good luck to you! I hope this gets better for you soon. I agree with whoever posted that headaches ****.
Unread 01-05-2005, 02:44 PM

I thought I was alone! I was doing fine until yesterday when by blood pressure shot up and the headache began. Couldn't have been timed better as I was at my doctor's appointment. He said it was that my estrogen cream had not kicked in yet, so he gave me a script for an oral as well. Oh, and BP meds. At least until the hormones get balanced. ugh! Maybe the hot flashes and cold spells will now end. Oh how I hope so!
Unread 01-05-2005, 02:50 PM

Kim, speaking of Excedrin migraine, when I can't sleep, I take Excedrin PM and that usually helps.
Unread 01-05-2005, 03:50 PM

That's why I love this site so much. Just when you're dealing with something ELSE, someone comes along and posts exactly what you're going through!

I had my two week post op yesterday. I'd had a migraine (just like during my periods last week Wed. I thought it could be a switch in pain meds (Vicodin and I don't mix well). I've had a slight headache (not quite like the migraine) for two days now. I also had higher BP at the Dr.'s yesterday, so he put me on BP meds. (labetalol) He gave me a refill of my percocet, and something for headaches that he said he takes (butalbital). He was so good, even when I said I don't want to feel like a druggie...he just said you can't go on with those headaches!

So I took one this morning and slept until 10, then got a call from the dentist to get my teeth cleaned. I had been waiting for an opening, so I went. I felt like a wimp in the pain department, but she gave me straight oxygen instead of gas and I feel better now. She said it often helps with headaches.

Anyway, call the Dr. and ask for something, it could be (and most likely is) a hormonal thing, but that doesn't mean you should just live with it!!

Good Luck,
Virginia
Unread 01-05-2005, 03:59 PM

Dear Beaut,
I think you are doing the menopause stuff and that's part of the headaches and especially the sweating. Honey, you are so young!! This must be hard for you. I sure would talk to my doc about HRT.

I had started natural menopause before my surgery. I'm 52. I was sweating, having insomnia and some headaches. I kept my ovaries, but since surgery have no symptoms. Weird, huh?

Another thing? Are you taking narcotic pain pills? I got hangovers and headaches from Lortab and some doozy headaches when I withdrew.

Have you tried any herbal remedies? I like to take Valerian, Scullcap and wash it down with Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime tea. If you are taking narcotics ask the doc first.

Sending hugs-Melissa
Unread 01-05-2005, 07:22 PM

Andi,

I went through the same treatment for endo several years ago. It was really hard, but I had Stage IV endo that had destroyed one of my ovaries and I was still in my twenties. So, weigh the pros/cons of taking your chances for a reoccurance.

My doctor "starved" my body of estrogen for 6 months to be sure all the endo at a micro level died. I can say that I did not have another bout with endo for 10 years.

I worked closely with my family doctor to help treat the symptoms I was experiencing. I had a terrible time sleeping. Some of the things I tried were, an occassional week or two of Ambien or some type of prescription sleep aid. I also made sure I exercised everyday even if it was just walking. I also drank some camimiole or "sleepy time" tea just before bed.

For night sweats, I found that the suppliment of black cohash worked great for me. Some doctors are hesitant for women to use this for the rest of their life, but no one denies that it's safe for a year or two.

Most of all, but as kind to yourself as you would be to one of your dear friends. I also told my family and colleagues who were very sensative and often helped me to find humor during frustrating moments.

Who knows, maybe your doctor will agree to a time of treatment that is shorter than 6 months. Let us know how you're doing.

Gina

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register