could not find ovary on ultrasound...? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

could not find ovary on ultrasound...? could not find ovary on ultrasound...?

Unread 01-05-2005, 08:19 PM
could not find ovary on ultrasound...?

Hello
I am glad you found a new dr. The one who did your surgery sounded like a real jerk!!! Sounds like he only cared about using the new technique and not about you.
I had a cat scan for abdominal pain in August. The results said my left ovary was undetectable. It didn't seem to worry my dr. He knew he only removed a large cyst off of the right one.
I had a lapro in Sept. by a adhesion surgeon and he said both of my ovaries looked good. I was given a picture of them, so I guess I didn't have anything to worry about.
I hope you can get the story straightened out. You deserve to know what really did occur during your surgery.

Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2005, 08:19 PM

Curiousity leads me to ask, and someone here will surely have the answer. When they send away the uterine tissues, do they send the whole thing, or just samples? If they send samples, it could very well be that he only sent the uterus samples. If he sent the whole thing, my theory is blown out of the water....

I really really hope he didnt take it....It would however explain where it is!! Did it possibly go AWOL and is floating up higher in your abdomin??

I have wanted to be a social worker since i was 16 and my principal told my dad I would be terrible since i get so wrapped up in my emotions....Isnt that kind of why people do that job, is cuz they care?? Duh.....

Hugs to you
Kat
Unread 01-05-2005, 08:28 PM

LOL they sent my whole complete (well complete hahaha) uterus to pathology and they opened it up and found it was abnormal inside too and I have been promised piccies of my opened up uterus along with my surgury piccies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2005, 11:29 AM

Peg, I also saw pictures of what I'm assuming were both ovaries. Could it be possible that they showed the front and then the back of the same ovary? The doc didn't know which was which. Even though his explanations didn't make sense, I didn't feel too worried because I'd seen a picture of a "pristine" ovary along with the one with the cyst. I asked him how we would monitor my ovaries in the future and he went on and on about Ashkanazi (sp?) Jews (which I obviously am not) and CA125 tests. Then he said that functional cysts happen all the time and the only way to avoid them would be to have them removed, as if I were making a big deal out of nothing. I pointed out that *he* was the one who said I had a complex cyst that had to be removed. He ignored the comment. I wasn't going to bring this up because it would have been pointless, but by this time I was hopping mad: I said "From what I've read, you encouraging me to keep my cervix after having carcinoma in situ just last year seems pretty unconventional." He said "We discussed the pros and cons of keeping the cervix before surgery," and started to walk out the door. Then he turned around and said "But, if we do need to take your cervix in the future, we can so it with the robot!"

Kat, I'm pretty sure the whole uterus (albiet in pieces) went to pathology. Under tissues it says "uterus NOS" (not otherwise specified).

Here is the other issue. Ordinarily I would be on this doc like white on snow, and I have considered talking to the director of the practice (who assisted). But, I live in a smallish town where everyone seems to know each other. I am trying to start a private psychotherapy practice, specializing in post partum depression. This OB/GYN office is the main one in town and the only one affiliated with the hospital. So, this is where I'd get most of my referrals from. If I alienate them by pointing out how my case was mishandled....

Any thoughts?

Margot
Unread 01-08-2005, 01:12 PM
update on missing ovary

I finally talked to the doctor yesterday. She was not concerned about them not being able to find the left the ovary. She says "Great! That means there can't be anything big growing on it.!"

The functional cyst on the right ovary is about 5 cm. She gets concerned if cysts get to 7cm. I'll have another ultrasound the beginning of March. If it's still there and has grown she will remove the ovary. At the same time she would remove my cervix. She said "Having a period every month is going to drive you crazy!" It's nice having a female doc who cares! We'll try silver nitrate 2 more times and if that doesn't do it we will just remove the cervix regardless of the ovary status.

I feel much better now. Except that I'm cramping all the time!

Margot

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register