Unexpected blessings from surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unexpected blessings from surgery Unexpected blessings from surgery

Unread 01-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Unexpected blessings from surgery

My unexpected blessings were also no more urinary leakage/incontinence, no more getting up to go to the bathroom 2-4 times a night, no more shortness of breath, no more mood swings, and the best was NO more backaches. Life is good post-hysterectomy!!!!

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2005, 08:56 PM

Lessee....I can pass gas anytime I want to . I can poop and it doesn't look like it was squeezed out of a toothpaste tube! (TMI?!) I don't have to wear maxis every day, or ever. NOTHING is coming out of that orifice any more! I have found a new appreciation for life, new perspectives, and Hystersisters is my favorite place. Yay!
Unread 01-06-2005, 05:58 AM

My unexpected blessing is that I just didn't know how good it would feel to say...

All of that happened LAST YEAR!!!

I'm enjoying a nice feeling of distance from it.

joano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2005, 06:54 AM

Hey, just wanted to add my two cents...
Not to bring the board down (because this is actually a good thing) but my surgery helped me end my dependency on narcotic pain killers. I had been on Vicodin (Lortab), among other things, for about two years prior to my hyst and I guess I can now admit that even though nothing else worked and I had no other choice, I was addicted. Now that the surgery is over, and being 7 weeks tomorrow, I'm no longer on my post-op meds, there is no need for me to be on the drugs anymore, because I don't have any more pain.
I was getting really scared at how much these pills were controlling my life, and I was terrified to get off of them, but now that I am, I really feel like myself for the first time in a LONG time. So this surgery has saved me from perhaps a lifelong battle with painkillers.
On a lighter note, since my uterus and everything isn't pushing on my bladder anymore, I can go more than 30 mins without peeing, and I can FINALLY enjoy myself during "intimate time" with my DBF and not be in pain.....life is good!
Unread 01-06-2005, 07:11 AM

Boy am I ever glad to have had this done! I wasn't having a lot of problems like some of you ladies had. I did have the heavy gushes now and then,( which usually happend as I was waiting on a customer at work). I was also having a prolapse problem. I was very blessed to find a caring, knowledgable GYN, who I trust dearly. In my annual he found fibroids. He did a hysteroscopy. During the hysteroscopy he found a fibroid that was nearly blocking the opening of my cervix, he was not able to remove it. He did give me several non surgical and surgical options, I chose a TAH because I wanted all repairs to be done at one shot. I was glad I chose that route, because during surgery he found a deep gap between my rectum and vagina, that he filled with an implant. He said I would have had major problems in a few years! God is good! I am now 43, I don't want to waste more time - Just glad to be moving on to a better quality of life! Bless you ladies for the support and caring that you show others!
Unread 01-06-2005, 07:53 AM

My blessings after surgery include waking up postop with no back pain for the first time in over 10 years! All the money I am going to save on sanitary supplies. I am saving for an Apple Ipod and being at home when my twins come home from school - at least for a little while.
Unread 01-06-2005, 08:38 AM

Blessings,yes!! We must concentrate on these and not the negatives.
I too, have lost the acid relux.YAY!!! am looking forward to no more month long periods or weeks of just spotting or missingand then almost bleeding to death!! Never knowing when or where and carrying a huge purse full of "supplies" tha flew everywhere when I opened it.
I have taken this time to get to know myself again , without all the influences of coworkers, deadlines, demanding customers and selfish grown children. I'm 52 years old and I'm going to go for it. I might even change careers!!

I've also learned who my true friends are and those who just needed me for something.

I am so grateful for my wonderful doc that helped through all this with compassion and sense of humor and the fun and nice nurses that promise we're going to go out and get to know each other.

and...especially my hyster sisters that I can referrance and relate to. Thanks!!!
Unread 01-06-2005, 08:54 AM

I have had several blessings from the surgery. The most unexpected is for the first time since we've been together, DH and I both like the house kept really cool. No more thermostat wars!!!
Unread 01-06-2005, 09:35 AM

For the last several years, I had sciatic nerve pain that went all the way from my right hip down to my knee. My chiropractor tried everything to relieve it, to no avail. Since the surgery, that pain has been entirely gone. Praise God!

Another unexpected blessing was that my disability payments are 4 times larger than I thought they would be, and they are tax-free! Woot!

My dog, Brandy, is grateful for her unexpected blessing... her momma takes her for walks, now! Woof!

Is being able to lay on the couch for hours on end... with NO GUILT... an unexpected blessing? It is for me! "Honey, what did you do with the remote control?!"
Unread 01-06-2005, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 5152

I've also learned who my true friends are and those who just needed me for something.

It is a shame that we had to learn this the hard way, but in the end I am glad that I found out now. I have a few good friends, but no best friend anymore...I would have to say that my best friend now is my mom and my DH---I know I can count on them for anything.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register