bladder pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-06-2005, 11:51 AM
bladder pain

I am new to this group, and I am so glad to have found it! I had a total hysterectomy on December 27th. I went in with an undetected bladder infection. As the nurse ran the tests just prior to going in to surgery, I was found to have a fever. My surgeon suggested I wait to have the surgery as the catheter would cause discomfort, but I chose to go ahead with it anyway. He put me on intervenous antibiodics as well as a 5 day antibiodic at home. I recovered very quickly from the surgery, and feel very little pain anywhere, however, I feel my bladder infection is back, even though I went in to the clinic yesterday, and the urinalysis came back negative. Has anyone experienced the feeling of urgency to urinate, or a feeling like your bladder still holds urine? I just need to know there is hope this feeling will subside! One doctor told me I may be pushing myself too hard, and need to rest, as I have been walking up stairs, sitting up, riding in cars etc. I guess I just feel so much better than I have in the past, that I need to remember that I still need to heal!

Any encouragement will be appreciated! I am really scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2005, 12:03 PM
bladder pain

I'm sorry you're having this problem. It could very well be that your bladder is still swollen from the surgery. My bladder was the last thing to get back to normal, it seemed.

Everything inside get jostled around during surgery and the bladder can get pretty angry about it. Please do listen to your dr and get lots of rest. This is major surgery and it takes a good 6-8 weeks to heal properly. This is your one chance to do it right to avoid complications down the road. Many women have over done it early in recovery only to have problems show up weeks or months down the road. You are very early in recovery. Please do get lots of rest, drink lots of water and do some walking each day without over doing.

Taking care of yourself now will pay off in the future.
Sending you healing

Blessings,
Judy
Unread 01-06-2005, 12:04 PM
bladder pain

Hello,
I had bladder issues after my surgery that also had me very concerned. But by week 3 they slowly began getting better. I can certainly understand how you must be feeling. My problem was it would be hard to start the flow then it would be a series of stops and go. It felt like I was always retaining urine. The catheter isn't kind, so maybe you have some irritation from that as well as the swelling from your surgery. If you still think you have a bladder infection call your doctor. Maybe you need more antibiotics. Sometimes you have to be persistent to get them to really listen to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2005, 12:05 PM
bladder pain

Hi Lornagram.

I have an bladder infection When I returned home from hospital. Antibiotic's cleared it up.

What I think you are suffering from is the pain many of the sisters is having. I really dont have a feeling that I need to pass water anymore, I feel very uncomfortable and find my way to the loo. Thats when the pain begins.OOOOOOOh

As I pass water I have a pushing down feeling and at the end of my pee it hurts real bad. I have read on this site that its due to the bladder being moved around alot during the op. Some lady feel better after only a couple of weeks, others it can take 2-3 months.

If you have a fever, feel like you have to pass water all the time, burning sensation and very little out put, PLEASE SEE YOU Dr.

You must drink plenty , at least six pints a day.

Im 3 weeks post op, TAH RSO and its getting better for me daily. Hope this helps you out.

x x x
Unread 01-06-2005, 12:09 PM
bladder pain

I also have some of those feelings with my bladder after my TAH/BSO on Nov. 30.

Morning seems to be the worst. I wake up needing to go and my bladder hurts afterwards for a while. Then I feel like I need to go again within just 30 min. or so. I would say for the first couple hours after waking, I feel the need to relieve my bladder about every 30 min. But, then I feel okay the rest of the day. I always feel though like I can't hold it...if I feel like I need to go, I got to GO!

I think it is just our bladders healing from our surgery. I hope it doesn't take much longer to heal up though. I go back to work on Jan. 18th - 1st grade teacher. I know I won't have the ability to just run to the bathroom whenever I want and that is starting to worry me!

Take care, Barb
Unread 01-06-2005, 12:39 PM
bladder pain

I, too, had a bladder infection and fever going into surgery. My doctor just gave me some antibiotics in my IV, and all went pretty well. I can't tell you if I had bladder infection symptoms afterward, as I had bladder surgery at the same time and I don't know what problem caused what pain, but it didn't seem to be a big deal to go into surgery with a bladder infection, at least to my doctor.

My doctor has told me that bladder irritation, spasms, just different urinary symptoms are fairly common after this kind of surgery...just think of the close proximity of the uterus/ovaries and bladder.

That being said, however, you may very well have a bladder infection. Catheters are about the most reliable way to catch a bladder infection, I think!!! A simple urinalysis can tell you, and they are easy to treat. If it doesn't turn out to be a bacterial infection, don't dispair!! It is pretty normal for bladder irritation after pelvic surgery.

Take care!
Unread 01-06-2005, 12:55 PM
bladder pain

Your bladder is held back by a retractor during your surgery, so it has been through a lot too. I have the pain when I am almost finished peeing as well and I have noticed that it hurts worse if my bladder is full (such as first thing in the morning) so my suggestion is to pee frequently so that your bladder never gets too full and it doesn take a long time for that to go away as well.
You definately are doing too much and need to follow the princess rules...click on 'CHECKPOINTS' at the top of the page and it will give you guidelines onwhat to do and what not to do at each stage of recovery.
Please stop and rest and take it easy, you are doing too much. Sitting is an activity after a TAH and you shouldn't be sitting up all day, that really makes your tummy sore.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register