What Unexpected Items Did You Come Round With? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What Unexpected Items Did You Come Round With? What Unexpected Items Did You Come Round With?

Unread 01-07-2005, 09:17 AM
What Unexpected Items Did You Come Round With?

I woke up with an IV in crook of my arm and every time I moved that arm the alarms went off, Inflatable boots, PCA Pump, Catheter, BP Cuff, Pulse ox on my finger, and a nurse digging and pinching me in the chest telling me to breathe because my pulse ox was down to 35. And another Nurse forcing me to drink cause I only put out 30 cc of urine in the last 4 hours and was injecting me with Lasix to make me urinate more. And a very annoying room mate who talked the whole time (she had an Lap GB surgery and was not in my room before surgery).

Boneta
TAH/BSO 12-21-04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2005, 09:44 AM

Ok, just to make you smile...I was convinced that I would die in theatre and was so terrified that I had re made my will and left instructions with all my friends for my funeral...I came round in a private room all bandaged up with some kind of breathing tube so I couldn't speak, but I was in pain and I knew that the nurse had said she would leave me with a call button in my hand, so I rooted about and found it and squeezed hard....a couple of minutes passed...no nurse...tried again...and again....still no nurse, am in lots of pain and now am feeling tingling sensation down left arm,'oh no, this is a heart attack' immediate thought, so press again for nurse but by now am fairly hysterical! Pains in arm increasing and can no longer feel fingers...terrified! Finally, nurse races in through door in response to my loud moans it appears, and pulls sheets back off bed only to start laughing! 'oh great!' I think 'major surgery, monstrous pain, heart attack and all the nurse can do is laugh'!

Turns out that blood pressure cuff was still attached, not new electronic one, but old fashioned type that you manually inflate..and that wasn't the call button in my hand but the bulb to inflate the cuff and as I was pressing it. it was tightening around my arm and stopping the circulation hence the tingling and 'heart attack' symptoms!

Needless to say, I recovered!.....
Unread 01-07-2005, 10:28 AM

@ Rebecca.

The only things I had attached to me were the leg cuffs to increase circulation (which I was informed about just prior to surgery), the catheter (which I wasn't informed about at all), the IV, and I was on oxygen (nasal tubes) for the first 24 hours after surgery because the oxygen level in my blood was extremely low.

I was told I'd have the machine to administer my own pain meds, but woke up to find I didn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2005, 12:20 PM

All I remember is waking up in great pain and them giving me 4 doses of pain meds and for the next four hours the nurse keep telling me to breath. They over dosed me and I stopped breathing.
Unread 01-07-2005, 12:24 PM

I'm a hard stick for needles/iv, so before i went in the one they had started was acting up...my fingers were tingly and cold, so they told me they'd switch it after i was under...i only had that one line when i woke up...auto b/p cuff...i'm chlosterphobic (sp?) and told them NOT to put warm blankets on me...and i didn't think i'd like the pressure leggings that would pump up...i LOVED them! i was upset when they took them off! LOL the catheter...and oxygen nasal tubing...so while i hadn't asked before i don't think i was surprised by anything...
Unread 01-07-2005, 07:02 PM

I woke up in pain, and had to remind my doc that I wanted the PCA with morphine and he had it set up. Then there was the inflatable leg things. That was it. Everything else was the same.
Unread 01-07-2005, 08:01 PM

I'd never had surgery before so I didn't know what to expect. I was informed in advance of the leg squeezers, the PCA and On-Q pumps. Had tubes in my nose, but I didn't think anything of it.
Unread 01-07-2005, 08:31 PM

Rebecca - your story was hysterical!!!
Thanks for the laugh - so glad you LIVED to tell it! eeeeew whatta nasty nurse!
When I finally woke up (1st surprise) the next day - I had pretty much everything everybody talked about, and 5 IV's, heart monitor, oxygen and another unit of blood (my 15th and LAST), and ICU. The big surprises were the blood, which they finally 'found', and the ICU that I found out about NOT until I picked up my hospital records 2 months later - see why to have someone there for you?)
But the real surprise came later that 2nd night, with the arrival of LUWANDA, Patient Warrior, Roommate from Hell...(my castle story)

joano
Unread 01-07-2005, 08:33 PM

LOL Joano I read you story, that is what inspired me to write mine so thank you
Unread 01-07-2005, 08:36 PM

I woke up with fluid in my lungs, unable to breath. When I woke up again they gave me a breathing device to exercise my lungs. I did this so that my lungs would clear and I would not get pneumonia.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register