Cleared for activities earlier? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cleared for activities earlier? Cleared for activities earlier?

Unread 01-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Cleared for activities earlier?

Has anyone with a TAH been released for all activities before the 6 week mark?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2005, 06:36 AM
liberal doc's

I was cleared for hot tub and chipping and putting around the golf course at 2 weeks post op, everything else at 4 weeks post op-except the sexual intercourse. I was always cleared for stairs and driving after one week.

I think that was pretty liberal of the doctor's. that was from both the plastic surgeon and the gyn. I think I had a pretty good recovery-

Why do you ask?

Unread 01-07-2005, 07:44 AM

I was released for everything after my TAH at my four week appointment (which was actually at 3 1/2 weeks.) However, I felt that my doctor was a bit hasty saying I could return to normal activities, because at that point, I was just starting to drive short distances myself, and still had some pain when sitting long periods of time. Of course, my doctor was a guy who had never had this surgery, so how could he possibly know what I was and was not capable of!

So I continued to take it easy, adding activities back slowly, and listening to my body. It was 5 1/2 weeks before I went back to work part-time, and 8 weeks before I finally felt totally normal again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2005, 07:53 AM

Hi there,

I had my 4 week check up yesterday. It was early.. as I will be four weeks on Monday the 10th.

He cleared me for everything. He said, all restrictions are off. I about fell over. My husband's eyes lit up like a kid at Xmas.... LOL. But he of course said he won't go near me till I am ready and not scared. So... Luckily I have some time.... hehehe.

But yea, he said I was good to go. Checked out my internal and external wound. Said just in case of granulation he wanted to put some silver nitrate on it... so he did that, said it looks like it is just about totally healed up and that was about it.

I really thought I was going to yelll at DH as when we got home, he looked at me and said... you have had about 4 weeks off... get busy, the house is a mess. (HE WAS KIDDING... TEASING ME... REALLY). I laughed. But he knows that I am still healing and for that I am thankful.

So yes.... same for me. 4 days short of 4 weeks and he said I could do as I wanted. I was going to want to start work on Monday next week... but after the appointment, I was really tired and I thought about it and don't want to push work. I still need an occasional nap and I don't want to risk it.

Andi
Unread 01-07-2005, 08:09 AM

Andi,

You are so fortunate! Have you been very active up to this point? I am trying to guage how I am doing, if I am overdoing it or not. I feel pretty good except the need to lay down several times a day! I have my post op January 11.

ITlady
Unread 01-07-2005, 08:27 AM

Praire Lady,
Thanks for moving the thread, I'm still not so sure where to post things. I appreciate your help.
Unread 01-07-2005, 08:29 AM

Well... again I was shocked he let me 'go' as I get so sleepy at times. I was the dummy that asked about work, thinking I wanted to get back in the game... but came home exhausted after the apt and now I think I am goimgm to hold off at least another week. I am really tired today again. but I had a rough sweaty night.

Now, mind you, the day after I came home from the hospital I went shopping for 3 hours with my Mom.... so I'd say my recovery went ok. I think I really over did it there in the beginning with Christmas. And at the end of 2 weeks, I was super tired again. I just need to learn to listen to my body.

On a positive note... I quit smoking today and starting HRT and hope in a few days to be free from all the sweating that is keeping me up at night.

Good Luck with your appt. Remember to take in a list of any questions. I made out my list, and left it on the table at home. Lucky for me DH read the list before we went and remembered most of my questions.

Andi
Unread 01-07-2005, 08:35 AM

Thanks! I will need to rely on his memory for the things that I will surely forget!
On the good days I feel ready to do everything and then the exhaustion sets in! It seems pretty typical. If the doctor approves I am hoping to ease back into work maybe 20 hours a week for a few weeks and then gradually more hours.

Hope all continues to go well with your recovery!

ITlady
Unread 01-07-2005, 08:36 AM

I ask this because my restrictions were lifted and I am terrified of this. I am so afraid that I am not ready and that I will do harm to my healing process.
My doctor was on vacation so my 2 week appt. got moved to 2 weeks and 6 days. At that time he said I'm healing well and lifted all restrictions. I was speechless. I am still quite sore and uncomfortable and up until this have only done stairs once a day, short walks inside the house. I tried outside but my driveway exhausted me. I get exhausted taking a shower. It is uncomfortable to sit up like at the computer for more than 20 minutes. The car ride to the doctors was so uncomfortable. I told him I still have baldder and bowel discomfort. He said this is all normal but that I should still resume activities. I normally have complete trust in my doctor but this makes me uneasy. I have always been a very active person who tends to do too much. I need advice! Thank you.
Unread 01-07-2005, 08:48 AM

Mindfulness,

Only you can know what you are and aren't capable of - doctors can only use a general guideline and one size does NOT always fit all!

Even though I was released at 3 1/2 weeks post-op, I continued to take it easy. I maintained the 10 lb. lifting restriction for several months, simply because lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk caused discomfort. I also didn't vacuum for a long, long time (I was trying to convince my family that I had a permanent "No vacuuming" restriction, but they didn't buy it!)

Listen to your body - if it tells you to rest - rest, if it tells you that whatever you're doing is too much or causing pain - stop. Add activities back slowly and as tolerated. And continue to pamper the Princess.

s,

Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register