A&P repairs w/o hysterectomoy...how long were you off work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A&P repairs w/o hysterectomoy...how long were you off work? A&P repairs w/o hysterectomoy...how long were you off work?

Unread 01-07-2005, 09:40 AM
A&P repairs w/o hysterectomoy...how long were you off work?

I go next week to set my surgery date for Anterior repair and possibly Posterior. I had a hyster over 3 years ago and was wondering how much time I should consider taking off work?

With just the anterior repairs my doc was guessing about 2 weeks, but now I believe a rectocele has returned and may need to be repaired.

Is two weeks reasonable with just anterior repairs? It seems like an awfully short time.

If the posterior repairs are needed as well then how much time would be reasonable?

I know everyone is different and it depends on the work a person does, but I just wanted to know what length of time those who have been through this needed. Docs are sometimes a bit optimistic And I want to get things in order so I can move ahead and get the surgery done ASAP.

Thanks so much!~Carebear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2005, 09:58 AM

Greetings from Montreal, Canada!

I am 4 weeks post-op from Cystocele and Rectocele repair. My gyno-uro did the cystocele and my rectal/colon surgeon did the rectocele. I saw him this past Tuesday, he has given me a tentitive date back at work February 1st. I'm seeing him again next week as he had to coterize my wound. I don't see you going back to work after two weeks! How big is the rectocele? I had a 4 hour surgery on mine, very large.

Good luck!
MARIE
Unread 01-07-2005, 12:03 PM

Marie thanks so much for responding I hope your recovery goes smoothly!

I'm not sure the size of the rectocele or if it will need repairs. I had a rectocele repaired with my hysterectomy 3 years ago and hadn't noticed any problems until the last month or so. Now in the last week I am finding it difficult to pass stools. I'm not sure if a cystocele can affect this or if the rectocele has returned so I will have the doc give it a good check next week when I go in.

Thanks again and take care!~Carebear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2005, 01:24 PM

My rectocele repair really affected my return to work. My gyn said I could have gone back to work after three weeks if all I'd had done was the TVH. He pushed that out to six weeks with the rectocele repair (I have a sitting job and a long commute), and I was only able to work part time until seven weeks.

The great thing was at seven weeks it was like night turning into day. Sitting no longer bothered me at all even though up to that point I was very uncomfortable.
Unread 01-07-2005, 01:54 PM

Hello Jane,

Thanks for your posting. I have a hard time sitting with the repair at 4 weeks. It's good to know that within the next 3 weeks things will improve. As I mentioned before I had a transperineum approach for my rectocele and it seems to be giving me problems with healing. My surgeon cauterized it this pass Tuesday but it doesn't seem to have done the trick. I will be seeing him next Tuesday so I gather he figured I'd need it to be cauterized again. I wonder if I'll ever feel normal again.... sigh........

Marie
Unread 01-07-2005, 06:04 PM

I had a stage 3 rectocele repaired at the same time as my TVH. While the external pain from the repair was over, for the most part, by the 3rd or 4th week post-op, the internal healing went on for quite longer. While I was cleared to return to most of my normal activities, including work, at 6 weeks post-op, I had to be sure that I had extended lifting and straining restrictions long before that time, so I would think that I would still have required 6 weeks off work with a rectocele alone.

A co-worker of mine had a cystocele repaired, vaginally, a few years ago and she was off work for 6 weeks. She said that the recovery had been pretty much along the same line as her hyst recovery.
Unread 01-08-2005, 05:18 PM

2 weeks does not sound long enough-what do you do?

Unless your doc has ever had this repair, you should take the advice of those who have.

My hyst recovery is going well, but the down south repairs are more painful and s-l-o-w than I was prepared for.

My female urologist did my repair using mesh and told me that things were a little messy and hard to work with.
Not due to the mesh, but due to my mess!!!!! (Go figure-2 c-sections-but overdue twins weighing almost a total of 17 lbs at birth is what probably did it!!)
She has given me strict lifting restrictions, and said that those will last well over 8 wks.
At least she is being realistic, and was honest about the amount of pain that might be involved.
I hope this helps.

Take care,
Marcia
Unread 01-08-2005, 08:23 PM

Hi
I am scheduled for a posterior repair the 25th for a large rectocele and a enterocele. My dr. said no lifting more than the weight of a gallon of milk for 4 weeks. He also said I may need much longer than that off because of my physical job. (aid in a mental institution).Now I find out I may also need bladder repairs and possible anterior repair. I am having stress continence problems.
I also wonder if any of you sisters can give me a estimate of time needed off with all of this. According to my job spec I am supposed to be able to lift 50-100 lbs at any time.
Also, what is recovery like and restrictions other than lifting?
Anything I should know before going in would be appreciated!

Thanks
Peggy
Unread 01-09-2005, 09:32 AM

Hi Peggy

Well, I had my rectocele repaired at the same time as my Hyst, so it's sometimes hard to tell which part of the recovery was due to the hyst, which part due to the posterior repairs and which part to both , but I do know that I had a large, episiotomy-like incision on the perenial area. That was very, very painful, initially and made sitting very ackward and uncomfortable. However, this pain was very easily managed with extra-strength Tylenol from the 3rd day post-op.

While recovering, sitting was the most uncomfortable position. So make sure that you have a small, rather firm, pillow to sit on. I used my "tummy" pillow for that purposed and it was quite effective. Others have used "donut" pillows (it's a pillow with a hole in it's centre, that is used to limit the stress on the stitches), however, personnally, I found those more of a bother than the small pillow. It should also be noted that sitting should be done in extreme moderation. For the whole time of my recovery, I lounged in a recliner, feet up, pillow on tummy and sitting on another one, while working on the PC.

One thing to keep in mind is that you really shouldn't strain. This also means that you have to avoid straining for BM's. That's why I went off any meds with codeine or morphine as soon as it was humanly possible, in order to avoid constipation. I also added enough fibre to my diet to ensure that my bowels remained loose. Adding too much fiber can result in painful gas and can also be counter-effective and result in constipation.

Other than that, it's the same as for the hyst recovery: avoid lifting, bending, straining, vacuuming, pushing a grocery cart, etc. In my case, I was released to return to work (a sedentary but demanding job) at 6 weeks, but had prolonged straining restrictions. It's been 4 years since my surgery and I still avoid lifting my now 9 yo DD, as much as possible.
Unread 01-10-2005, 01:47 AM

Thanks for the info Dany. It sounds like hyst recovery all over again, but this time I will stick to my doctors orders! No more being superwoman.
I never had a episiotomy (had 4 c sections) so I don't know what one feels like. I can only imagine!
I go in for my pre op appt the 19th, so I kind of know what to expect now and what questions to ask my dr.

OOOOUUUCCCHHHH!

Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register