Is it even possible to pop a stitch at 3-4 weeks? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is it even possible to pop a stitch at 3-4 weeks? Is it even possible to pop a stitch at 3-4 weeks?

Unread 01-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Is it even possible to pop a stitch at 3-4 weeks?

Hi everyone

My TVH was on 12/13/04 and I only have internal stitches. I will be four weeks out of surgery on Monday, 01/10/05. I had a bout of hemorhhaging at two weeks that sent me to the ER, but I have since been cleared to go back to the gym for some light activity. When I had the bleeding, my Dr checked my stitches and they were still all in tact and looked good. (blood was seeping through open areas in the stitching where the stitches had dissolved) I have been back at the gym for three days now and I tried my hand at jogging today for the first time since surgery. I am wondering if it is even possible to pop an internal stitch open (causing an damage) this far out of surgery? I assume that even if I lose stitches or if one should happen to pop open that my incision is basically sealed at this point. Am I wrong?

Has any had any experience with this? I would love to get some other opinions. I dont want to overdo it, but it is so frustrating to hold back when I want to do more. (I am sure you all understand that feeling)

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

~Anne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2005, 01:03 PM

I don't know about the "damage" part. I do know that I had a sneezing fit right around 3-4 weeks and "popped" a dissolving stitch. This allowed a hematoma to drain for the following week.

Now, the point with the stitches is that if they are allowed to dissolve and let go on their own, the body is supposed to be healed enough by then that it doesn't need to be held by stitches anymore.

I'm excited for you that you feel up to jogging! Wow. I was doing good to walk a full mile by that point of my recovery. You must have been physically fit and fairly active prior to surgery.

As you probably know, part of the workout process is that you are active to a point and the next 24 hours your body is rebuilding tissues/muscle fibers that were used in the workout. I guess my worry is that if you are making your body busy about rebuilding leg and arm muscles, when does it have the reserves to rebuild the internal tissues that need healing?

If you're having any pain or discharge, I would check with the doc's office. Also, I'm not sure that jogging is a part of what they would classify as "light activity". If you overdo, your body may not send out an SOS until the next day when you go to bend or sit.

Yes, it can drive you batty to "hold back" from activities you did before surgery. But, the last thing you want is to lengthen your recovery process, right?
Unread 01-07-2005, 01:12 PM

I don't know about popping a stitch, but you can do some damage to yourself if you overdo too early
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2005, 04:05 PM

I'm not even going to do situps until 6 weeks, much less jogging. I think that is way too harsh on your abdomen to be doing this early.
Unread 01-07-2005, 04:26 PM

Hi ladies!

Thank you all for your responses. It's so nice to have other women to talk to about these things.

What sort of damage do you think could be done by pushing myself too hard? I already had my uterus taken out, so if I pop a stitch then nothing else can fall out! (just kidding!!!)

I don't mean to sound silly and I hope you all understand. It's just so hard to limit myself and listen to my body when I don't really hear my body putting up any objections at this point. (do you know what I mean?) I have been out of shape for most of my life and I started working out regularly with my sister about a year ago. I was unable to jog for even two minutes before and I have worked myself up to 2-3 miles at a time. There is a wonderful woman at the gym who is working with my sister and I to be able to enter a St. Patty's Day run (5 miles). I have never been able to run 5 miles in my life and it would be a huge accomplishment for me. I have already fallen behind in the training since my surgery and it just feels like I'm starting from scratch. It is very frustrating and a little depressing. It feels like I'm just kind of stuck.

I hope you all understand. I don't want to injure myself and I don't want any setbacks...I just wish my body was telling me to slow down like my doctor wants me to.

Is there any real danger to pushing it a little bit?

Thank you for being here.

~Anne
Unread 01-07-2005, 04:37 PM

Adhesions would be the first concern that comes to my mind from overdoing it.
They can attach to your bowels and cause some serious consequences down the road.
Unread 01-07-2005, 06:13 PM

i don't know if you noticed, but... i just posted something about possibly having adhesions.

i did push it too early (at two/three weeks i was walking a half-a-mile up hill and half-mile down hill and ended up at the drs in severe pain)--and now i might have adhesions--so maybe it would be better to wait a little.

i know how hard it is to do that, but maybe you should--now this pain thing i have that the dr. THINKS is adhesions is causing so much pain i can't really do ANY exercise--so maybe you should wait just a little bit more.

mindi
Unread 01-07-2005, 06:33 PM

I'm dying to get back to the gym myself, but my doctor told me that the internal stitches do not heal for 8 weeks.
Unread 01-08-2005, 07:52 AM

Jan 6 was day 20 for me. I went for a lovely 30 minute walk. That night, I started bleeding bright red blood. I laid on the couch for the rest of the night, and by morning, was just spotting.

Jan 7, I did no exercise, just laid or sat around all day. That evening, I was getting ready to go visit a friend in the hospital. I turned to go into another room, and felt a horrible pain go through my vagina. It happened again while I was visiting my friend. I got home, and my pad was soaked in bright red blood. I was pretty scared. Today, it is just spotting again. I will have to call the surgeon on Monday, and go for another internal exam.

I hope you learn a lesson from those of us who think we are superwomen.
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:22 AM

Anne,

I know exactly how you feel. I've have been trying to become a runner for a number of years and something always seem to get in my way. Last spring I joined a running group and started running with the beginners. I was running about 2 miles 3 - 4 times a week. Well - then I had my TAH - that was August. I am just now starting to build back up - I'm only doing 3/4 of a mile 3 - 4 times a week. Last year when I started running I made a promise to a runner friend of mine that I would run the Shamrock Shuffle (that's the same race you want run - right?) and a Turkey Trot with him this year. I missed the Turkey Trot - I just was not willing to compromise my healing. And who would have thought that my running the Shamrock Shuffle would be this uncertain at this point? My goal still is to do that race but I had my surgery in August! I've been healing for 5 months now!

I know you had a different type of surgery than I did but the outcome is the same - you had body parts removed - your insides were re-arranged. It takes a long time to heal from that. Just because you don't have a visible scar doesn't mean it was any less traumatic to your body! My Dr told me I was 75% healed at 6 weeks and the other 25% would take 6 - 12 months. This was major surgery - please don't take your healing lightly!

The Shamrock Shuffle is an annual event. If you can't run it this year, you can run it next year and your sister will understand. You can go and cheer for her as she crosses the finish line. And then you can be sure to be healthy enough to run it next year and for many more years.

For the record - patient is not one of my best virtues either! All this has been very difficult for me (and my poor DH). It's frustrating to start training over again! But I came to the realization that the only way I would end up and continue to be healthy is to give my body the care it needs. So - I'm working on being patient. And I started my training over from the beginning!

Check with your Dr. and be sure that he understands what you're doing and approves!! Listen to your body!! And most of all remember - you only get one chance to heal correctly - don't mess it up!

Please be careful and take care of yourself!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register