How will I know if my ovaries are working? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How will I know if my ovaries are working? How will I know if my ovaries are working?

Unread 01-07-2005, 01:01 PM
How will I know if my ovaries are working?

I had a TVH on 12/28, and am feeling pretty good, though I need a nap every day and am in no hurry to get back to work. Twice since the surgery, once on New Year's Eve and a few nights later at dinner, I had something alcoholic to drink, and both nights afterwards, I got hot flashes. I've avoided alcohol since then and haven't had any more hot flashes, but I wonder how I will know if my ovaries are working, other than symptoms of menopause if they are not?

Is there a test? I have not had my post-op appointment yet. Any advice on what to ask?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2005, 01:15 PM

Please allow yourself more time in your recovery. Ther is a blood test that your Dr. can perform to test your hormone levels.

There are also symptoms to look out for;

mood swings
night sweats
sleeplessness
hot flashes
depression
I'm sure others can add to the list.
If you can keep a journal daily on how you feel, so that when you see your Dr. it will help to refresh your memory on how you've been.

Good Luck
Unread 01-07-2005, 01:17 PM

It is my general impression from other responses that I have seen here that having one's ovaries go into a bit of shock or on strike or out to lunch (depending on how you want to think of it) is very common for a couple of months after surgery.

I had the experience of night sweats the first two times that "should" have been my period after surgery. And, like you mention, I do notice that alcohol will set my personal thermostat on par-boil a whole lot faster than it ever did before in my life.

So, it's not unusual to have symptoms for a few months - some have them up to 6 months before their ovaries decide to get back in the groove. Likely your doc will start by wanting to "wait and see" for a certain number of weeks. Then if your symptoms persist, they can do a blood test to check your hormone levels to see where you're at.

I remember hearing a year or more ago about an over-the-counter menopause predictor test that could be purchased at pharmacies. I don't know how accurate they are, or how expensive either. But, I would hazard a guess that the test checks for hormone levels in your urine and therefore if they are "normal" it won't say that you're in menopause.

Since you've only recently had surgery, I'd start by checking with the doc at follow up to see what you may or may not want to do to stay comfortable until you're sure that they're back in gear.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register