please read!! check ur meds! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

please read!! check ur meds! please read!! check ur meds!

Unread 01-08-2005, 06:18 PM
please read!! check ur meds!

I was in the pharmacy and a lady came in and said the color of the pills were wrong and she wanted them checked to see if they were the right pills. They were not the right pills. At the place I use I'm not surpised that they make mistakes.

airamathea

What kind of pain are you in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2005, 07:04 PM

I always double check my meds. Habit I guess. I have been given the wrong meds before, and also seem to have been short counted many times. I just call them, tell them they are short, and they usually just recount their stock, and I can pick up the difference.

I also question new pharmacists. It is not because I believe them to be incorrect... I just want to know. I had this one script filled by a pharmacist I had never seen in there before, he can't find me in the computer, can't find my meds, can't find my insurance... and low and behold... gave me the right meds in a mis-labled bottle. AGGHH. So, I always ask and make sure.

Plus now, I just make sure I see the same pharmacist. He knows me, knows what I take and all that. It is a benifit of smaller town living.

Glad you are still with us! and Welcome.

Andi
Unread 01-08-2005, 08:16 PM

I agree! As Maralyn said, Ask for a consult! Many mistakes can be avoided that way. Last year I had a record amount of mistakes at our grocery pharmacy and ended up contacting the licensing board hoping they do something to correct the problem before they kill somebody.

#1We had 1 lost written Rx I'd dropped off.

#2 We had 2 Rx's that were filled with the wrong amount. 30 tabs on bottle and on label but the Rx was written for 45! *Watch this one* Always read your Rx before turning it in IF you can. (This was one of those where you get the med in the manufacturer's bottle, but the Rx was for more than the standard bottle size)

#3). Given someone else's Med. (The co-pay wasn't right, so caught this one at the register)

#4) I was given an antibiotic instead of an anti-inflammatory (Left the store with that one - my fault for not checking)

#5). The straw that broke the camel's back was DH rx'd Nexium by Dr. "A" with 5 refills. The Rx they handed back had the wrong Dr. and said "No refills" Aaak! I blew my cork with this!

Pharmacist (RPH): "I fixed the refill amt. in the computer and all that would have happened would have been that we would've needed to call the Dr. for refills, no need to get so upset"

Me: Yes, and who would you call?
Rph: Dr. X

Me: Right! You'd call Dr. X but that's not his Dr.! They'd tell you he's not their patient. Dr. X didn't write the prescription.

RPH: Well, it looked like Dr. X's signature to me - I wasn't sure since it's written on a hospital Rx pad.
Me: I was sitting right here. Why not ask me?

RPH: Dr. X has an office in the same bldg. as Dr. A, so that's why I thought it was Dr. X's signature. I fixed it. No harm done.

(I know this is long but it gets even better.) --- I go home and look to see if Dr. X has an office near Dr. A. He doesn't. No Dr. X even in our phone book. Directory assistance doesn't have any number for Dr. X in my state!

As a matter of fact, the closest Dr. X we found was 300 miles away and I don't think he'd be giving my DH Nexium - - - Dr. X is a GYN!

Pharmacist, store manager and store owner were speechless when I showed them the history of multiple errors and her bogus story where she wouldn't own up to her mistake. I'm glad my parents live 600 miles from that Pharmacy!

No harm was done to me. I know people are human and make mistakes. My complaint with this pharmacy was that they always had a clerk check you out and never once offered counseling. Our previous pharmacy always had the pharmacist give a new med. and always offered consult with refills.

Sometimes I think it might be a good idea for a consult when you DROP OFF the Rx. Look at the Rx with the pharmacist:- "it's written here that Dr. Blank is giving you Such & Such. He wants you to take it 2 x day and he's giving you so many refills" - THEN when you pick up the Rx you get that info again AND any precautions or suggestions, etc.

Sorry so long. But had to share. Like it was said, some mistakes can be deadly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2005, 11:34 PM

Glad you are OK Aramathea!
Unread 01-09-2005, 08:41 AM

Pharmacicsts can definately make mistakes, I have been short pilled before, so when I receive the bottle, I dump it right there on the counter before i pay and count them. I caughta mistake like that and the people behind me in line were horrified and said they would be doing the same thing from now on.
Ifyou can't read the prescription sheet, ask doc to read to you what he wrote and that way you ahve some knowledge about it.
I know at one of my drugstores the patient booklet will give you a description of the pill presribed, so you coudl check it against that. Ih ave been taking percs for over 3 months now and my tech STILL asks me if I have any questions or would like to speak with the pharmacist. And it is not because she doesn't kow me, she does, i am in there all the time between mymeds and my DH meds and supplies (he is diabetic)...they even recognize his voice on the phone if he is calling in refills and they ask him :"Is Marian picking them up for you?"
Sad..LOL
Unread 01-10-2005, 10:47 AM

Wow!!! ladies!!
Reading this is so scary. I called my sister, who is a paralegal and even though I am not a sue crazy person, I would seek legal counsel if I was ever given the wrong meds.

The beginning of this thread is so frightening and I'm so glad that you are okay. I'm also glad that there are you others that can offer advice and are on top of rechecking.

I've been off meds since the first week because I hated the way I felt and am a fast healer, but I do home health care and fill prescriptions for my dear ladies and will be more concerned now.

EEK!!
Unread 01-10-2005, 12:55 PM

The way I look at it, it is just like checking your money before you leave the bank to make sure it is right (or McDonalds) so check your meds before you leave the counter and that way you can get it resolved quickly and correctly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register