living with adhesions - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

living with adhesions living with adhesions

Unread 01-08-2005, 02:00 PM
living with adhesions

marla--that is a VERY good question. i have no idea how he ruled out an ovarian cyst w/o doing an ultrasound. i wondered that myself. the more i think about it, the more i think he just thinks it's all in my head. my dh, who is the biggest pacifist on the planet, wnats to go "punch him out."

ya know, my incision got infected when i was still in the castle and he acted really strangely when i asked him about how that happened--i think if anything comes up that even in the least questions his skills and procedures, he turns the table and tries to make me think it's my imagination (i might just be being paranoid, now).

when i get my second opinion, i am going to ask if they can truly rule out the ovarian cyst for me.

mindi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2005, 03:04 PM
living with adhesions

HI Mindi,
I wanted to tell you my story, or at least what i have found. I do not have adhesions but I have libido and hormone issues since my surgery. My surgeon tells me I am ok, otherwise he may have to admit somehow that things do happen during surgery! I dont know how they figure, but even my Gp has told me that...My GP is the one I go to for the honest answers. He has been so very helpful to me, and is doing everything he can. If I was you, I would be asking your family doctor for answers. My GP is in no way belittling my gyn, and has all the respect in the world for him, adn has told me that sometimes the surgeons just dont want to acknowledge that there are other issues related to their wonderful work!!

Hugs to you, and I hope you get answers
Kat
Unread 01-09-2005, 09:37 AM
living with adhesions

I just grit my teeth and take it. Last time was really rough and she kept saying are you ok? I said finish what you are doing. I want this to be over and I guess I have just been through so much that I am willing to take this. In the last 3 weeks I have improved so much! Finally! I want to be well and it looks like this is what I have to endure to get to the end of this road. I go back on Tuesday. What used to be hard as rock is now pliable in most areas.

Marla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2005, 04:33 PM
living with adhesions

OMG marla,

I would just die if someone was doing that to me, fists would be flying..you are a better woman than I am. There is no way I could handle that. I pray that it does give you much deserved relief
Unread 01-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Sounds so familiar

Oh, Mindi.

I remember those days early after my hysterectomy where I was cautioned that my pulling, tugging pain might be adhesions. I had no clue at that time what adhesions even were. My doctor told me that sometimes people will "adapt", for lack of a better word, to adhesions and they may not cause them trouble down the line. It's so hard to know what to do because, on one hand, you think the hysterectomy is going to take care of all your issues and you shouldn't have to be playing a guessing game about more surgery. But, doctors generally don't like to go right back in after surgery because it's true that more surgery usually creates more adhesions. Here's how my physician handled it with me - - she told me signs to watch for other than my own pain. If you begin having lots of nausea, lack of bowel movements, vomiting, etc., then this is more critical and you need to have something done right away. If you're dealing with a pain issue, see if there's anything you can do for yourself (with your physician's guidance) in the meantime that you're "giving it time". Maybe Physical Therapy, massage, stretches, etc. After I had done this for six months, my pain was still there and worse. That's when she decided to go back in laparoscopically which, like some of the other ladies experienced, turned into an open incision. Yuk!! It was confirmed at that point that I had massive, dense adhesions and even though she placed Seprafilm barrier, they have returned, though not all in the same places as before. That second surgery has been well over a year ago and I do as much as I can to keep my bowels working, in addition to as much exercise as I can stand. Like some of the others, deep tissue massage (I go to a certified Rolfing Massage Therapist) helps me, though it does feel uncomfortable at the time. I've noticed that hardened places on my stomach have gotten a little more pliable over a long period of time. Still, I do have my trouble spots that seem to be as irritated as ever. Best of luck to you. Just remember to stay very connected with your physician and if you're not happy with the answers, keep digging.
Unread 01-17-2005, 11:54 PM
living with adhesions

I experience the same problem, only to have it become even worse. I started feeling the pulling, and it became a ripping feeling. When I went to the doc he said it was adhesions and put me in for a laparoscopy immediately. When he looked inside, he found that not only were there adhesions, but my bowels and intestines had slipped into the area where the uterus used to be and were now adhered to the abdominal wall, as well as enveloping my right ovary. He did what he could to fix it, but 6 months later and I am scheduled to have another surgery this thursday because the repair was what he called like "spitting in the ocean." I have to go through the entire abdominal surgery again to reroute my bowels and intestines and try to save both ovaries that are now compromised because of the damage, as well as to have the adhesions and scar tissues that resulted removed also. I recommend going in for the laparoscopy asap, the scar rissue that results is minimal compared to the complications that arise.
Feel Better
Unread 01-18-2005, 05:37 AM
living with adhesions

I was talking to my MIL who is an old school nurse. She said she used to work with a surgeon and he was the one who did her hyst when she needed one. He did adominal surgeries and when he was done with his work he poured warm saline over the area he had just worked on. It kept everything moist and separate durring the initial healing and than was absorbed by the body. He never had anyone have adheasions. She tried to tell the newer suregons about it but none of them would listen. I can't immagine having this done to me because my surgeries were all vaginal but it is an interesting thought.

Marla
Unread 01-18-2005, 06:17 AM
living with adhesions

Marla,

I had this done with my surgery some 10 years ago -- I had a laparoscopy for adhesions and went to a doc at USC, and was studying adhesion prevention at the time -- she did a warm saline infusion into my belly. It helped, but adhesions still formed. It did, however give me a day in the bathroom once my body absorbed the saline! She later told me adhesions still form, but it seems to help somewhat. What we saw with my hyst surgery in Dec was that instead of having millions of thin adhesions (like egg drop soup), I had huge monster adhesions this time, like rope. I later read that saline doesn't really prevent adhesions.
Unread 01-18-2005, 06:44 AM
Same experience

Yes, my doctor filled my pelvis with 2 liters of warm saline during this last surgery. They're back, but as I stated in an earlier post, not in the same places. I guess there are a lot of variables in adhesion surgery and the truth is that it's the luck of the draw whether you'll get them or not. Although, a surgeon's technique is very important in prevention of adhesions, some people are just more prone to create them than others. Also, if you happened to have hemhorraging when you had your hyst, you may have been more likely to develop them. Before my hyst, I had a laparoscopic appendectomy and had no trouble. I had adhesions around my appendix but apparently only as a result of the chronic infection. When my gyn went back in to do the hysterectomy there were no adhesions to her surprise. But, unfortunately, I popped an internal stitch a day or so after my hyst and my pelvis sat in blood. She told me that blood is an irritant to the tissues and it's very common to develop adhesions after internal bleeding. I almost wish they would have gone right back in and cleaned me out immediately but I suppose they weigh the chances of adhesions versus the potential complications of another open surgery so soon.
Unread 01-18-2005, 01:29 PM
living with adhesions

Quote:
Originally posted by MarlaQuack
he poured warm saline over the area he had just worked on. It kept everything moist and separate durring the initial healing and than was absorbed by the body. He never had anyone have adheasions.
Some docs still practice this however, this doc said he never had anyone have adhesions. There is no way for him to know that unless he went in later to look at everyone he operated on. Everyone develops adhesions, everyone that has had surgery...most of the people don't have any trouble at all, some of us have trouble with them. It is a natural process after surgery and/or trauma and we all get them. When I had my gallbladder removed, my doc said he saw the adhesions from an umbilical hernia repair from when I was 2....but they never bothered me. I had 2 lap surgeries before my hyst and never had a problem with them until my lap. I even had adhesions from the endo that was found.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register