I am addicted... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am addicted... I am addicted...

Unread 01-08-2005, 08:15 AM
I am addicted...

to Hyster Sisters Post-op forum. You guys are the best. Thanks for helping me through this, for all the great answers and posts.

At 3 weeks, I think I am already addicted to my Effexxor, too. Last night, I forgot to take it. I woke up a couple of times during the night, and again this morning, with brief flashes of migraine headache (intermittant flashes instead of steady headache, very weird). Took the Effexxor when I woke up this morning, but now my schedule is all off. I am supposed to take it at night. Such is life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2005, 08:30 AM
I am addicted...

What is Effexxor?
Unread 01-08-2005, 09:34 AM
I am addicted...

me too...what's Effexxor??

Maralyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2005, 09:38 AM
I am addicted...

Effexxor is an antidepressant that prevents hot flashes. It is prescribed for women who can't have HRT due to endometriosis or cancer concerns. It has been a godsend for me, as it also stopped my emotional roller coaster. I was so depressed that anything would make me cry. I feel completely normal, now.
Unread 01-08-2005, 09:39 AM
I am addicted...

Effexor is an antidepressant, used a lot in the hormonal mood swings, for a short period of time, to regulate the moods, and emotional turmoil of this surgery. It is also used for other people with depression.

Ravenna, I would take a pill tonite before bed. Check with your doctor today, or your pharmacist. I have done this and am lucky enough to be able to skip a dose, as I still get the odd day with breathing issues, and missing one dose helps me out. What dose are you on? I am taking the lowest dose, 37.5mg, which my doctor tells me shouldnt be helping!! Little does he know....Isn't it just the bestest thing to be on it and feel normal!!

Hugs and let me know what you find out!!
Kat
Unread 01-08-2005, 09:43 AM
I am addicted...

The doc started me out on 75mg. Now I wonder if 37.5 would have been sufficient? I did read you are supposed to start out low dose like that, and work up to higher.

I wonder if I could take half of one tomorrow morning, then a full pill that following night...
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:26 AM
I am addicted...

Hi Ravenna,
I am a special case when it comes to antidepressants!! Dont go by me!! I get some pretty awesome side effects from these things, and had an anaphylactic reaction to zyban so I am certainly lucky to be able to take what I am!! The normal doseage of Effexor is between 150 and I think 350 mg per day!!

I would call and ask the pharmacist what your best method would be. Tell them that you take them at night, I certainly find if I take them 1 hour before bed, I am sleeping within minutes of falling into bed. If I take it shortly before bed, then it takes me longer. Call and ask how you should do it.

If your doctor put you on 75mg, I would not be questionning it. I wish I could take more, I am concerned that the benefits, the brain starting to react correctly to the serotonin in the brain, is not going to be working correctly when I go off. Does that make sense to you?

Hugs to you
Kat
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:34 AM
I am addicted...

I have been taking 10 mg of imiprimene daily for 5 years. That is an anti-depressant that my Dr prescribed for chronic pain. It has been such a help because it helped me sleep and get out of that cycle of pain/depression.

10 mg is also the lowest dose available (I think people usually take 75 mg). I never knew that I had endometriosis throughout my abdomen until this surgery for ovarian cysts. My back pain has been gone since surgery even though the tummy hurts like anything. I never thought I was depressed before, but now that I am on HRT I feel like my old self.

Kat - do think that I could taper off of that imiprimene. One thing that I hate about it is that it increases one's desire for sweets a hundred fold! Not a good thing for a chocolate lover.

Tarheel
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:55 AM
I am addicted...

Hi Tarheel,
Dunno about coming off the imipramine, however my doc said I would not have any problems with coming off. Ask your doctor, I am not a doctor....I would THINK you would not have an issue but are you ready?? You have to let your doctor know if you are, and only they can tell you for sure!!

As for chocolate, did you know it is one of my most important food groups?? It is a good thing within the body, as it does the same hormonal changes as having sex, which is a good thing. It allows the...dont quote me.....I think it produces more serotonin, the feel good hormone. Very important to us women!! That is how I defend my chocoholic habits!!

Hugs to you, and enjoy that chocolate!!
Kat
Unread 01-08-2005, 11:02 AM
I am addicted...

Hi Ravenna! I have been taking Effexor, also. I take 75 mg once every morning...it keeps me up if I take it at night. This medicine has been a godsend for me, as well. I finally feel completely normal and not like I'm going to break down every other minute. :hair: lol. I stopped taking it for a few days after the sugery because I was in bed so much and I would forget. I got the same headache symptoms that you did when I stopped taking the Effexor.

I don't mind being addicted, as long as it keeps helping me when I take it!

I hope everything goes well for you. Talk to your doctor and see what he/she thinks about switching the dose.

~Anne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register