Almost 3 Weeks & Still Constipated? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Almost 3 Weeks & Still Constipated? Almost 3 Weeks & Still Constipated?

Unread 01-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Almost 3 Weeks & Still Constipated?

I too, was very constipated. I had so much trouble afterward I got PAINFUL fissures.:cry: I was using Colace and acidophilus. Dr told me I should have used Peri-Colace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2005, 02:00 PM

Hello
I can feel your discomfort. I had problems moving my bowels for the first 4 weeks, then I ended up being sent for a cat scan. I had impacted bowels and boy that was no fun. My gyn sent me to a gastro dr. who put me on Miralax and also told to me continue using colace 2 times a day. I was also taken off of my iron pills. After the iron was out of my system ( I used fleet oral saline laxative)I got emptied out. I felt better better for a few months, until I was diagnosed with a rectocele and enterocele, which was also contributing to my bm problems.
I have read on postings some months ago that several ladies used Miralax and said it works wonders. Maybe see if your dr. can order you some.

I wish you luck. I know exactly how you feel!
Peggy
Unread 01-08-2005, 02:16 PM

I took stool softeners every day for about a week. I ate lots and lots of oranges (3 a day!) and drank only water, hot herbal tea, and oj and that helped me a lot! I also walked a lot--2 miles a day at 48 hours post-op. No pain meds after I got home--30 hours post-op helped me a lot too. Now a little over 3 weeks out things seem to be working normally--thank God!!! I hope things will start "moving along" for you soon. After I could have a normal bm I wasn't sore at all. EXCEPT, when dh and I decided to dance in the living room and I lost my balance. I'm still sore from that .

Love and blessings,
Angie K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2005, 02:34 PM

I take metamucil -IS colace better? any one know? my dr said to take colace but i already had metamucil he said that was okay to.i havea bm every day which is good -2capsules aday.100% natural angie k i thought the was cute you and dh wanting to dance
Unread 01-08-2005, 02:43 PM

IMHO, Colace is GREAT. My constipation was EXTREME, and it took 2 months before I was regular. I had to take 4 colace per day and to get things "rolling" I took Phillips NON STIMULANT Milk of Magnesia. I know this sounds like the commercial but I got "gentle, overnight relief". No sudden sprints to the bathroom. It was a miracle--so easy and no straining. I just sat there and it happened. Yet you don't lose control, so it's not like you will poo yourself if your in public!!! (sorry for that visual...) I only used the M.O.M. about once a week.
Unread 01-08-2005, 02:53 PM
finallyready

Is colace natural?is it a pill? sorry so many questions? I may try that because i feel like i need to go more than i do- milk of magnesia is it natural?
Unread 01-23-2005, 06:34 AM

I'm 3months post op and although I go most days I still feel as if my back end does'nt remember what to do or when to do it.If I go for a wee I get the feeling that I need to have a bowel motion
when I know that I dont. I suppose it all takes time to get back to normal.
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:30 AM

linda.march, It dose take a while to heal . Hope you eat and drink alot of fiber and water to keep your bowels moving sure makes things easyier, I do , i dont Even like being CONSTIPATED!
Unread 01-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Constipated and need advice because I gained 15 pounds

You're very brave. I was about 2 1/2 days home when I called for help. Nothing worked, not M of M, colace, prune juice in large quantities, so I finally called my Dr. yesterday. You're not going to like this, but he prescribed an enema or suppository. I used both and it worked within minutes. Today I did the same thing with success.

I need to lose water weight too. When I came home I had gained 15 pounds since my operation last Tuesday and my stomach was enlarged and very hard. I'm glad I went my Dr.s route. I feel much better now and can concentrate on getting over the pain of the stitches and walking around the house. I even felt well enough to play a couple of card games with my six year old this morning.

Hope this helps.
Malie

Hysterectomy, ovaries removed, vaginal suspension, bladder suspension, repair of rectocele. Had vaginal prolapse with cystocele and rectocele after having 3 babies in my 30's and 40's.
Unread 01-23-2005, 10:56 AM

What is colace, BTW?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register