Almost 3 Weeks & Still Constipated? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Almost 3 Weeks & Still Constipated? Almost 3 Weeks & Still Constipated?

Unread 01-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Almost 3 Weeks & Still Constipated?

courneyJ HOw long has it been since you had a bowel movement?Always ask DR>about stoolsofterners REmenber you just had surgery takes every thing to get going normal again. cereals are good like cheerios-rasin bran-wheaties -oatmeal.lots of water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Pictures

I know this sounds crazy, but.... do anyone know of a web site that has pictures of a woman insides after a histerectomy? I have both ovaries, 11 weeks out and I'm just curious of my insides. crazy huh!
Unread 01-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Constipaction was a drag! :frazzled:

I had terrible constipation following surgery.

I still have some issues as I feel I never regained the same muscle strength.

I used Fleet brand liquid glycerin fast acting suppositories to relief the initial constipation period ... it was so bad I was up for days and pacing the floor. I used colace pills to soften the stool and ease my bowel movements & Gas X pills or chewables to reduce gas before & after meals. Getting off the Vicodin early is also key as the pain meds can and will promote further constipation.

Just keep thinking -- the worst will soon be behind me!
It all does get so much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 12:44 AM

I am 3 days post op from rectocele/enterocele repair. I heard that it is so important not to strain again or the prolapse can come back. My dr. ordered colace and said to add a fiber supplement and eat non constipating foods. I am doing great. I take Kroger's brand of peri-colace twice a day.. It has a gentle laxative in it.I also add Benefiber to my yogurt or applesauce twice a day. I go easily with no straining. What a mildstone! I also drink alot of water.
Good luck sisters. I have been in your shoes!!

Peggy
Unread 02-04-2005, 07:02 AM

My doc said not to go more than 2 days without a BM.
Unread 02-04-2005, 08:09 AM

I think we should have a bm everyday. KEEPS you cleaned out.FIBER-FIBER -WATER-WATER JANF- ASK your DR. WHAT you can take to keep you Regular-like Mtdewpeg said something gentle
Unread 02-04-2005, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nell.australia
I posted something similar in the pre-op pages as some advice to sisters as preparation for their hyst.

I saw a colo-rectal surgeon who said that when you have a hyst the nerves to the rectum are bruised/damaged. So there is not really constipation but great difficulty actually defecating. That is, the stool is there to go, but you can't push it out. This is not really due to lack of muscles, but because the muscles cannot co-ordinate the relaxation of the anus together with the squeezing of the rectum (sorry if too much info).

Also, this trouble is made worse because of pain post-op so it hurts to give any extra pushing.

He said that if you keep trying to strain then there is a very high chance of rectocoele in women who have had a hysterectomy, whether they have had children or not (but worse in those who have had kids).

He recommended stuff we call Movicol in Australia - it comes in a sachet form and it is really a mini-bowel prep. It is designed to make the stool very watery so there is no straining at all to go (basically gives you a little bit of diarrhoea). He advised I start post-op with one sachet morning and night for at least four weeks, then for the usual fibre/water advice probably for the rest of my life.

I am hoping that this works - anything to avoid a rectocoele post-op (would be cruel if I got one and didn't even have the chance to have children which usually cause it! Also want to avoid futher surgery to reduce chance of lymphoedema later on).

Hope this helps others.xxx
This is exactly my problem. I'm not constipated but my bowels do not move in harmony with my anus. The first day I tried too hard and had some bleeding. Now, I'm trying to just let the colon do it's work. It's quite painful. I feel like I'm walking around with a full rectum and sitting hurts so much. I'm taking MoM morning and night. My doctor gradually increased the amount. I think he wants to spark things to work on their own. I'm also eating lots of fruit and vegetables as well as holding my nose drinking prune juice. I'm taking short walks and drinking lots of water. The worst time is evening/night. I break out in a sweat when the stool reaches a certain point in the process and seems to hang. My legs shake and I feel so weird. I've been putting a washcloth to my forehead and trying to just take slow breaths. This whole bowel thing is obsessive.

I can't really complain though as my other recovery is going very well. I can eat well, sleep a bit on my sides, walk well. My incision is only minimally painful. The swelly belly is mainly annoying at times. I keep praying that this bowel stuff doesn't debilitate me too badly. Living alone, I get in this little hell for awhile imagining a stroke or clot in my leg from the pressure. Sometimes, I get a very small, round-ish stool for all my suffering. heh. I've thought it through and can't imagine an enema as tissue down there seems so sensitive. I hope this slow awakening of nerves clicks soon.

Anyways, thank you, Nell, for explaining exactly what I seemed to have going on. Makes a lot of sense. I'm trying hard not to strain as I certainly don't want anymore surgery. Best of luck to others with this lovely problem.
Unread 02-04-2005, 03:35 PM

Colace is a pill (stool softener) you can get at most pharmacies.
Sirap

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register