Comfortable clothing post TAH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Comfortable clothing post TAH? Comfortable clothing post TAH?

Unread 01-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Comfortable clothing post TAH?

I am 3 weeks post TAH and still wearing mostly stretchy, knit-type pants for comfort. This is not my usual style! When can I get back into denim jeans? Right now, the zipper rubs against the incision and is uncomfortable and most of the jeans won't zip because of the swelly belly. I'd appreciate some thoughts on how long this will take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2005, 09:35 AM

Hi
I went out and bought myself a pair of stretch jeans at about 6 weeks. I have been wearing them, and do sometimes have aches when I take them off. I would find a pair of relatively cheap stretchy jeans, and then at least you feel dressed. You will know when you have worn them too long!! Good luck....
Hugs
Kat
Unread 01-08-2005, 09:41 AM

Last night, for a few hours, I tried wearing my jeans, which are a size too big. I was miserable, not from the outside incisions, but on the inside, because the material doesn't give or stretch. Luckily, I have 4 pair of light weight pants to choose from instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2005, 09:42 AM

i love my velour "jogging" suits...and all my athletic stretchy pants...a lot from target...i can wear a dressier shirt and feel dressed up...but the pants are soooo comfy during this time...
Unread 01-08-2005, 09:46 AM
surrender to the tummy (for now)

All of us are different. I was not able to be comfortable in a regular waistband until after the 6 month mark.

By the 2nd month, I had just surrendered to the tender....and, usually swelly....belly thing, totally. Got really creative with my outfits....ALL of them yoga pants or stretch pants/jeans (Found ones with bootcut legs to be VERY flattering.). Actually, received more compliments on my attire than ever before! Seemed like such a longterm imposition at the time.........but, here I am now....it is all but a memory.

Guess I compensated for the very plain pants with tops, accessories, hair and make-up! Learning new tricks in how to care for my skin and do makeup was a fun project during my recovery. Made me feel more attractive than ever, and still does.....
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:45 AM
fat pants

I'm day 12 from my TAH and can't imagine trying to zip up my jeans anytime soon! I wear sweat pants mostly, except here in Texas it's been hot ....today 70 degrees.......so I made a trip to Walmart (wish I had done this before surgery) and bought cheap but comfy "fat pants".Goes well with my granny panties! Elastic wasted denim pull up pants a size larger than I would wear. I am not ashamed to be wearing these....comfort is everything for now and as long as it takes. Putting on makeup and earrings does help make up for it. Getting dressed everyday is a must.........even if you end up lying around all dressed.........it makes a huge difference. So does making the bed.Anyone driving at this point? I am ready to go out on my own...........Jenny
Unread 01-08-2005, 12:21 PM

I am six weeks post op and LIVE in my velour track pants and t-shirts.

I am not even going to try to get into any zippered pants ... I know it will depress me if I try and not succeed!

I have resorted to the fact that comfort is more important than fashion right now. Not only are we dealing with sensitive, sore belly's but most of us have swelly ones too! In addition, my vagina is sore as well, so a stiff-crotched jean would only irritate me! It's not worth it, in my opinion, to try and shove it all into pants , zip it up (if we can!) and pretend we comfortable!

I figure by three or four months post op, I will be able to slowly reintroduce my other clothes!

Here's to hope and faith!

Jenny.....I drove at four weeks. It felt nice to get out!

Sarah
Unread 01-08-2005, 01:51 PM

I was able to wear all my clothes, including jeans by 3 1/2 weeks post-op. I bought fairly heavy support underwear (from K-mart), that material kept zippers from rubbing my incision. The support undies also kept the swelling down for me.
Unread 01-08-2005, 03:03 PM

I wore pj's for the first two weeks, then moved to sweat pants or anything with eleastic waist. I will be 6 weeks post-op on Monday and I am wearing my regualr jeans. They are a little uncomfortable but no to bad. Still get the swelly belly as day goes on. Jeans don't give as much as other pants and I don't wear them often, it was killing me not to wear them though. I am due to return to work on Wednesday, I may be in my sweats, haven't tried my work clothes yet. But since I can wear these jeans I am hoping to wear my other cllothes to, just don't know how long I will last with them.
Unread 01-08-2005, 03:27 PM

I have been wearing velour jogging clothes, and dress slacks, ones that pull up. I tryed a pair of slacks that zipped up and am still so swollen I could not get close to even closing them. Jeans for get it.

Anyone wish someone had marketed gause dispossable underwear you get at the hospital?? They were great! My own all came to the wrong place.. I have a vertical incision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register