went to grocery store too early? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

went to grocery store too early? went to grocery store too early?

Unread 01-09-2005, 09:26 AM
went to grocery store too early?

I'm 13 days post-op and feel pretty decent. The walls have been closing in on me and I thought going to the grocery store would be a little bit change of scenery. My DH and I set out cheerfully, I even found a cute little outfit that covers my swelly-belly pretty well. All is well, right? I got so dizzy, my DH had to bring me home after about 15 minutes in the store. Of course, he had to complain the whole way home about weak women, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. He has been very supportive but he does have his limits and I guess I'm not improving fast enough for him.
So, now I'm mad at him and depressed because I thought I could have done this little outing. I'm starting to wonder if this surgery was worth all this crap. I didn't have an option but enough already.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Leena
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2005, 09:43 AM

I also went to the grocery store too early... at 7 days post-op, by myself. I hadn't yet read the checkpoints on this site, so I had no idea I wasn't supposed to be pushing a shopping cart around. The next day was Christmas, and I was so exhausted that I missed out on going to a big family dinner.

Maybe it would help to print out the checkpoints and show them to your husband.
Unread 01-09-2005, 09:48 AM

On my first trip to the store I made it to the door of the store...and had to turn around and go home! I tried to early and my body just wasn't ready....
My hubby has his moments also....I can see in his face when I ask him to lift or move something for me that he's kind of "over it" if you know what I mean....but too bad!
We have one chance to heal right and we can't mess it up!
~ tc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2005, 09:58 AM
we are weak?

Hey there ladies,
Don't let anyone call you weak or a whimp. Tell them unless they can crawl inside your bodies they can't possibly know what you feel like-they have to trust you to tell them.

I have seen others say they just used the cart you can drive the first few times.

I went early to the store-at a few days post op- with hubby pushing the cart but I was fine. You will never know how it will go until you try. Most of the time I sent him with lists, but I always got surprised by what he brought home! Sometimes what I wrote down was interpreted in a unique way. I wanted a small box of thin daily mini pads for the little discharge. I got one box of each kind of tampons, pads, thick pads, etc. He said since he didn't know what I wanted he got one of each!

It will come back-all too soon you will be doing the shopping again, the housework, the cooking, the cleaning.

's
Unread 01-09-2005, 10:00 AM

Hi,

I think all new Princesses try to test the limits at around 2 weeks, and most end up realizing that they're not ready for shopping yet!

For me, it was a killer trip to Wal-Mart at three weeks post-op. My mom drove me to the store and I went in, just for a few minutes, to buy a printer. Well, they were remodeling and had moved everything, so it took me some time to find the printers. When I finally found one, there was no one around to help me put it in the cart, so I shoved the heavy thing off the shelf and into the cart myself. Then, of course, I had to go find paper for the printer, so another trip wandering the aisles looking for paper. I finally found the paper, and lucked out and found my DD who was working there. She took me up to the front check-out, then helped me out to my car.

I'm telling you, my knees were knocking and I was about to pass out! I was so exhausted when I got home that I couldn't move! And did I learn from this hugh mistake - NO! Later that same evening, I decided to hook the printer up, which entailed going out to the car and CARRYING the box in, carrying it into the living room, moving a table by my recliner, and crawling behind it to hook up all the wires. BAD Princess!!!

Anyway, just wanted you to know that you're not alone - we've all tried it, and we've all learned that it takes time. But the good news is - it does get better!! For now though, just rest and pamper the princess!

s,

Lisa
Unread 01-09-2005, 11:25 AM

Those little motorized carts are at almost every store (never really noticed before!). I used them the first three times I went to the store. Went out yesterday and didn't use one...DH carried all the groceries in a little basket. Try them, they're fun, but watch out!

Virginia
Unread 01-09-2005, 11:58 AM

Hello,
Those carts are fun... However, you do get those old ladies who are walking around the store who look at this young person in the cart. All you can hear is the tut tut, because you are young and vital and why are you riding in the cart!! I almost wanted to run one over in our Safeway!! I think if you dont ever try, you wont ever know if you can do it or not. I had surgery Sept 21, and we went shopping for Thanksgiving I think around the 12 of October. I was exhausted when I got home, but I cannot let the boys, pardon me, TRUST the boys to get the right stuff for a big turkey dinner....I had to go, and I did it, but I slept the rest of the day. i did not even really do much in the line of shopping for Christmas. I would figure out what I wanted to buy, do the quick trip and come home. I must have made 10 trips in total. It was all I could do. But if you never tried, you wouldnt know, and maybe would plan something, like shopping with a friend, and then not be able to do it....

If we push our limits, and try things, we will eventually learn what we can and cannot do. If we sit and home and tell ourselves we cannot, we might miss out on stuff, like a great sale or the best deals in town!!

Hugs to you, wait a week and try again!!
Kat
Unread 01-09-2005, 07:02 PM

Thanks for all your replies. It is nice to know that at least I'm not alone. And btw, my DH apologized later for being insensitive. That's ok, I got him back by sending him to the store twice more today LOL.
I'm hoping to try again in a day or two to just run into Walgreens and grab a few odds and ends which I really need, but trying to send DH to get them would be like me going to buy fishing gear etc, would be totally clueless.
Wish me luck!
Leena
Unread 01-09-2005, 07:10 PM
2 weeks & first outing

2 weeks out of surgery tomorrow & my daughter wants me to go with her for lunch & then I want her to go to drug store & bank for me & when I listen to all of you maybe I am not ready for this, but I think, she thinks I need to get out. Just getting ready to go will probably wear me out & then what will I wear-slacks that are comfortable now are few & far between.
Unread 01-09-2005, 09:48 PM

smfor- just ride and remember to take a pillow. That's a lot of stuff for one day - spread it out some.

I send my fiance to the store and I write down the EXACT name of everything I want. I also cut out its picture from the Sunday paper (so he knows what to look for) and glue it on the grocery list. I have nothing else to do and I hate getting the wrong stuff (he's only messed up 2 things in almost 3 weeks - Jello & broth flavors).
i had a grocery store experience but I waited until after I had been walking to my mailbox for a few days so I new I could walk for at least 10 minutes then I sat down at the front of the store.
When you feel tired rest.
Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register