How long before the anemia goes away | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long before the anemia goes away How long before the anemia goes away

Unread 01-09-2005, 05:57 PM
How long before the anemia goes away

Just wondering, I know everyone's different, but about how long will it be before the anemia goes away, or about how long?

Sarree
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Anemia...

Hello, I'm sure everyone is different but my anniversary date was on the 7th and I'm still taking over 650 miligrams of Iron...my levels are close to normal but not close enough to eliminate the pills according to my doctor last month...I feel great best wishes!
Unread 01-09-2005, 06:36 PM

I can't take the iron pills they make me very tired and constipated. So I'm hoping the anemia just goes away normally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Anemia

wellll that is between you and your doctor...me myself did not have enough iron in my daily diet and forget eating beats and liver...not my favorite...so the iron pill was my only option because not enough iron in your system eventually causes other complications and not just being tired...the difference it made when i made the change...night and day the energy is great...best wishes...believe me i anxiously await the day she tells me to try and maintain the levels from normal diet methods but after surgury i lost a lot of blood so i am just getting the supplies back in order...best wishes...
Unread 01-09-2005, 07:50 PM
Anemia

Hi! I had my surgery July 22nd (they took everything). I, too, had been very anemic for I can't even remember how many years, but when I went for my appointment with my regular doctor, which was four weeks after my surgery, he said I was not anemic. I was soooo excited. I know it takes everyone a different amount of time, but if you try and eat foods that supply you with iron, it will really help. Iron tablets always made me sick to my stomach, but when I would get really, really tired from being low on iron, I would go to a health food store and get natural iron tablets, and I was able to tolerate them. However, I prefer to do it with foods, and I still read labels and try to get it all in the foods I eat and I don't ever take iron tablets. Good luck to you!
Unread 01-09-2005, 10:36 PM

I started out with a hemoglobin level of 5, requiring a blood transfusion (2 units). When I left the hospital I was up to 8. It took 4 months to go from 8 to 12 -- of course that's with taking 325 mg of iron twice daily. I also ate foods rich in iron: red meat, chicken, shrimp, spinach, strawberries, raisins, etc... BTW, a hemoglobin level of 12 or above is considered normal, but on the low end. Good luck!
Unread 01-10-2005, 04:20 AM

sarree,
What a great question. This is exacty what I have been wanting to ask! I have relied on massive amounts of iron pills for years and years. With that came horrible constipation which required stool softeners, fiber, eventually laxatives at the end of the week for some relief only to start the cycle all over again. I had a transfusion on 11/22 two days before before my surgery and left the hospital with a count of 9. Dr said to double up on my iron when I got home! That is almost impossible. Well I chose to take myself off the iron completely after my surgery against my Dr orders to see if I could get back on track naturally. I had my 6 week check up and my levels were still at 9. So my dilemma is do I get back on iron and be miserablely constipated and back where I started before this surgery or stay at 9? I feel fine but I know I would feel better at a higher level. My choice at his point is to take the low count. My BM situation was horrible to deal with. It was way worse than the slight fatigue I feel with the anemia. Eating iron rich foods is a noble idea for me but it just doesn't have nearly the mg's I need. I can't even put a dent in the iron with red meats or greens. I'm wondering if I take iron for awhile and get my count up if it will stay up? Will it eventually come up on its own? These are questions I need to ask Dr but if anyone has any suggestions or personal experience please let me know. Dr left samples of a new less harsh iron tablet at her front desk for me to pick up and try. They are still sitting there and I'm wondering if I need to even try them or not. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated!
Unread 01-10-2005, 04:53 AM

I recommend Slow-Fe. It's an OTC time-released iron supplement. I am able to tolerate it with no noticeable side-effects, whereas I've never been able to take prescription iron supplements.

Your hemoglobin in the bloodstream can recover in a matter of weeks, I think. But I've read that it can take a year to replenish the stores in your bone marrow.
Unread 01-10-2005, 08:44 AM

Hi there, I'm 6 months post and still very anemic and iron supplements aren't doing the trick so were going to iron shots now........Good luck!!!!!!
Unread 01-10-2005, 10:10 AM

Make sure you take your iron at the same time you take or eat Vit c foods ie OJ, citris fruit, leafy greens, red and green bell peppers, tomatos, currants, strawberries. Your body is better able to ABSORB the iron when its with Vit C. I had suffered from anemia for a long time and was taking 1000 mg a day with no improvement until a nutritionist told me about the vitamin C connection and that has made all the difference in the world, I no longer needed the iron pills. Now I make sure I eat iron rich food with Vitamin C rich foods at the same time. Good luck,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register