How long before the anemia goes away - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long before the anemia goes away How long before the anemia goes away

Unread 01-10-2005, 11:11 AM
How long before the anemia goes away

I am five months post-op & anemia is worse than ever! I went to a hematologist who thinks it is due to absorbtion, so rather than go to a gastroenterologist right now, I am taking liquid iron that comes in the bottle of Geritol & children's chewables because the other iron pills did not absorb at all. They just caused constipation. I also make sure that I don't have any caffeine on an empty stomach, or dairy products or calcium. It will not absorb at all with these factors. She was going to give me a shot at my next visit, but I didn't go back because I had bladder surgeries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 02:13 PM

Before this thread, I never knew that anemia could continue on after the blood loss stopped. I mean, for THAT long! Wow. I have taken the Slow-Fe without any side effects that I noticed. Right now, I'm taking one called Ferro-Sequels 50mg (otc, but prescribed by my Doc) which is also a timed release, however that one does cause some constipation.

One of the sisters a few months back, told me about an iron supplement called Floradix that's only in health food stores. She was very anemic but she said it built her up very fast - no constipation at all. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to get some when I run out of my supply.

I don't know if I'm still anemic but I was very anemic when I left the hospital - going to the Doc tomorrow to check, among other things, so I'll ask her about the Floradix while I'm there. Anybody tried that?

jaaj - 9 is not generally considered high enough for surgery, but it probably wouldn't postpone it (ask your Doc) Most say you should be at least 10 - but 12 or better is optimal. (Woops! I see you've BTDT anyway 9 isn't high enough for now either. You don't want to stay there!)

Sarree - you can't just do nothing. You're putting your health at risk by staying anemic. It affects everything in your whole body and the long term effects are bad.

joano
Unread 01-10-2005, 10:58 PM

It is not okay to survive with a hemoglobin level of 9! With a blood count that low your red blood cells are not plentiful enough to deliver oxygen throughout your body, and your heart which is a very powerful pump requires a lot of blood to work properly. At 9 you are critically anemic and need to build your level up to at least 12 before you're out of the woods. You are at a much higher risk of heart attack right now. To quote my Dr. when I only reached 8 after a blood tranfusion "people die in your condition" -- followed by a strict order to take 650 mg of iron daily and to eat iron rich foods. Please try to find a way to keep building your red blood cells -- I'd hate for anything bad to happen to you! Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 11:11 PM

joano

Hi, I'm a big fan of FLoradix. It's a herbal iron supplement and comes in a liquid or tablets. Liquid is best.Tastes ok and DOES NOT give you any constipation problems at all, all natural.Some supermakets now sell it making it cheaper than getting froma health shop. check you B12 also because some docs don't look at that and you can go a whole year, like I did with low iron and very low B12. I have B12 injections now monthly,used to be weekly, hoping to stop these once my levels are up. Waiting on results now!Fingers crossed.
Unread 01-11-2005, 04:22 AM

First of all what's BTDT??? Thank you Thank you Thank you for everyone's input and thanks sarree for letting me jump in on this thread this has been soooo helpful. I just picked up Chromagen iron from my Dr yesterday. It has vitamin C and B12 included. I am sill looking at the package trying to make my decision. My constipation was THAT BAD! All the suggestions I got from here are great especially the information about floradix. Let me know joano. I'll be waiting to hear what your Dr says about it! AND after reading all these posts this morning I am determined to take my iron tonight before bed (It's the only time I can and not throw it up. One lovely side effect that I have been able to overcome).
Joano,
don't forget to keep me informed about what the Dr says.
Sarree,
I sure do know how you feel about hoping it will increase on its own.
Unread 01-11-2005, 05:28 AM

jaaj

BTDT is a horrible condition - I'm sure you HAVE it, otherwise you would not be on this site. Most of us in Post-Op have it too.

(been there, done that)

I'll run the Floradix question by my Doc and see what she says - she may not be familiar with it, but I plan to try it anyway, especially after what helennzy just said.

Forgot to say before, but my Doc said to take folic acid with the iron. I think it was to help absorption. Anybody else doing that?

joano
Unread 01-11-2005, 06:49 AM

My doctor has not mentioned anemia at all. I had no idea this could be an issue.... Is he wrong in not checking me for this?

... more confused than ever.
Unread 01-11-2005, 07:06 AM

VT Geri

Um, yes - I would say he SHOULD certainly have checked, given your history (read your prior posts)

Good luck in getting a new Doc. I'm sorry you're having so many problems, and glad you have 'advocates' going with you. Good idea!

joano
Unread 01-11-2005, 10:38 AM

joano,
Believe it or not I DO take folic acid. I have a gene mutation (MTHFR) that causes my blood to clot too quickly and folic acid along with aspirin therapy help me keep it in check. Waiting to hear how your visit goes!

ohsoconfused,
What are your levels? I have never heard of caffeine effecting your iron absorption. That's a new bit of information for me.

vtgeri,
My anemia was part of why I had a hysterectomy. I think more women than not have problems with anemia before their surgery so I am very surprised you haven't been checked. Mine was constantly monitored.
Unread 01-11-2005, 11:19 AM

my blood count got down to 7.3 and i was so dizzy. i asked my doc and he said it takes about a month to go up 1.0. i think normal is 12 or so. so for me i guess it will be about 5 months. i'm only dizzy on occasion now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register