Any Smokers? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Any Smokers?

I have been a smoker (just cigarettes) for a long time. I have had countless speeches and lectures and and and.... But the simple fact is ...I don't want to quit. I really enjoy it and I really don't think now is the time to quit. I did honestly try a few times especially before my breast reduction back in 2002. Was told that if I didn't there was a higher risk if loosing one or both my nipples.

Anyways.....If you are a smoker like me....How soon after surgery did you smoke?

Angel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Any Smokers?

My surgery was at 8am on the Friday, I was outside the hospital (down a flight of stairs & quite a walk, not even allowed to smoke on the hospital grounds), & having a smoke by 6am on the Saturday morning....
Guess that means that I am addicted
Unread 01-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Any Smokers?

Boy, unfortunately, I am the wrong one to talk to..... My Mom dropped dead from smoking 20 years ago. About 14 hours before her death, she was telling the doc that she would never quit.... From everything I have read, I feel that you don't heal as quickly if you smoke.... If you feel the need to smoke, I would wait until you are completely healed... I have one friend who refused to quit prior to surgery, and she has had major healing probs..... Good luck... just think if you do choose to quit , you have lots of cool sisters to help you through... good luck!!!! We care!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2005, 07:24 PM
I am a smoker

and had a cigarette on the way home from the hospital after not smoking for the 3 days I was in there (no smoking on the hospital property). I am not a heavy smoker so not smoking wasn't too much of a problem but I did have one on the way home from the hospital the day I was released to go home....
Unread 01-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Any Smokers?

Well ladies... I quit..... cold turkey..... 3 days ago. I had my stop date set for Jan 1st, but it did not work out that way.

Now with all the flashes, I was going mad. I was told can't smoke with HRT, and so I had to quit. I have heard all the lectures and had all the speaches..... and I now know I had to do this.

Tonight has been awful..... I have just been terrible crabby. AGGGG. But I agree with the others. Try not to smoke, as it prolongs your healing.

I too had 3 days of no smoking in the hospital. Now I am back to square one. My husband has the patch on, and he is fine. He feels nothing craving wise. I am now here having a FIT and he is the picture of calm. GRRR.

I do wish you good luck... try and hold out. It will help you feel better!
Unread 01-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Any Smokers?

I am a smoker and I smoked as soon as I left that dreaded hospital (7days later). I quit during both my pregnancies and started again after each one. One thing I learned during my "near death" from this surgery is that I am happy with my life and who I am. I do not want to quit. I tried several times because everyone else wanted me too. I look at it this way, I don't drink caffine, I don't do drugs, and I only drink occasionally. So let me have my cigs. "IF" I was addicted to coke or heroine the family would be happy if I went to cigs. Another thing I learned is that you can't please everyone so you might as well please yourself. I sacrafice everything for my family but this is one thing I have just for me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is mine. Why constantly suffer from trying to quit when you could be smoke free and get hit by a car. I believe when it's your time it's your time. Makes it seem pointless. I don't smoke that much (approx. 1 pack per 24 hr.) My mother smokes 3 to 4 packs a day. She is in her 50's and still ticking. I just wanted to let all you non-smokers know that I respect your wishes and don't smoke near nonsmoking people nor around children. I didn't write this to offend anyone but I felt that some of you could relate to me. Just about everything a person consumes can kill them in one way or another so let us be happy.
Tracy
Unread 01-09-2005, 09:11 PM
Any Smokers?

Hi,

When I was getting ready for surgery, I asked to doctor if I could have a patch. He said a lot of times women are motivated to walk around the hospital so they could go out and smoke.
My first two full days in the hospital I was too miserable to get up and smoke. When they took my IV out the day I was released, I pulled off my patch and took the elevator to go smoke. I know I am not to smoke with the patch and that could make you real sick.

I am thirty and have been smoking for maybe eight or nine years. I get a lot of lectures from my family. This year I really am going to try though. Both sides of my family have heart disease.

I feel bad saying this, but I love to smoke! I know how bad it is.

Anomis
Unread 01-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Any Smokers?

Hi,
I too am a terrible person, a smoker!! I smoked as soon as I could get down to the smoking room. DH walked in smelling of smoke, and I said lets go!! I even went AWOL from the hospital to come home and get smokes!!!! My bad.....

I am trying to quit, but I am also doing a lot of personal work, and dieting and on and on and on.... I really dont have the will to quit right now. I seem to get these little digs from my kid (You are stupid mom, my friends cant come over cuz they have asthma mom) and the list goes on. I simply will quit when i am ready. I really wanted to walk into my doctors office on Tues. and say I quit, but i dont think that is gonna happen. I dont want to risk a breakdown right now, and I think that will trigger it fast!!

As for healing, you ladies may be right. I had no issues with healing, no infection, am feeling great at 3 months. My biggest problem was the little smokers cough in the morning before I was awake enough to grab my pillow....

Hugs to you
Kat
Unread 01-09-2005, 09:52 PM
i quit new years eve

and let me tell u,,,i feel so much better now.

smoking messed w/my hormones big time, seems as if the method of hormone delivery that i was using failed too early
and it did not last too long w/me. i recently discovered that smoking and hormones do not mix well. now that im off cigs,
i did go thru withdrawals badly, but i survived it and now i feel somewhat human again.

good luck in what u decide, but it is u that has to want to quit
for the right reasons and really mean it.
Unread 01-10-2005, 03:58 AM
Any Smokers?

Thanks ladies for all your opinions and advice.
Mayanlily....sorry for your loss. My mom has been a smoker since she was 18 (father got her started on their blind date). She is now in her 60's and still as feisty as ever.

I honestly think that this is not the time to quit ...This is two stressful of a time. I have tons of things to worry about (worry wart) since I am a single mom now for 16 years and pretty much doing this on my own. So to stop smoking .....well ....that would be the last straw! I have always been respectful of others and their wishes and don't smoke around them or my children. Being in Ontario Canada we can't even smoke in hospitals or restaurants anymore not even in their property and they are trying to kick us out of any public area. So it is getting harder to smoke when you are away from home.

Like I said I have tried to quit in the past to no avail ...but even though I love to smoke ...I enjoy it so much ...I would also love to quit.....so I think after this surgery and all is done and healed ....I am to going try again.

Angel

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register