Oops during Hyst. - Hole in bladder | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oops during Hyst. - Hole in bladder Oops during Hyst. - Hole in bladder

Unread 01-10-2005, 01:01 AM
Cool - Oops during Hyst. - Hole in bladder Oops during Hyst. - Hole in bladder

Oops, it seems during my hys the OBGYN poked a hole in my bladder. I have had urinary infections, leaking through the wrong hole and alot of fun at parties. My DH makes jokes about my diapers and wants to know when we are going to be able to have sex.

I had my hyst. in Oct. and developed the problem almost immediately. My OBGYN did the tampex test and it was full of urine. The he sent me to a Urologist and he sent me for x-rays, after 3 hours of x-rays and tests, I tinkled all over his table. So now I have the repair to be done. Now my regular doctor wants to see me for a physical, my OBGYN wants me also, then the hospital wants a physical and the Urologist already did his physical. I didn't need this much attention before the hyst. WHAT'S UP? Am I going to have a catheter after the surgery which is scheduled for Jan. 24th?

I am sure that I am not the only one that has gone through this problem. Please help. I am in tears with this. I don't know what to expect. One doctor says that they will be able to go in vag. the other doctor says they have to open my hyst. scar. So confused.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 02:19 AM
Oops during Hyst. - Hole in bladder

Hi Jackie
I just wanted to let you know that I am sorry this happened to you. I am sure you can be fixed as good as new.
I think it will depend on where the hole is as to what approach is needed.
I was told at my hyst. preop appt. that the bladder could get nipped and need repairs, so I don't think it is all that uncommon. Unfortunately, you had to have it happen.you will be able to enjoy those partys again soon!Tell your DH to hang in there!
I am having posterior repairs (and possibly anterior and bladder repairs)on the 25th.I am 8 months post op now.

Take care
Peggy
Unread 01-10-2005, 09:05 AM

They poked a hole in my bladder during my hyst., but fortunately realized it right away, unlike what happened to you. I suspect that you will be going home with a catheter after your surgery. I had mine in for nearly two weeks. Some ladies have them in longer, some less time. It depends on the amount of work they have to do and what your doctor feels is necessary.

The catheter wasn't all that bad but I'll confess that I was happy to get it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Cool - Oops during Hyst. - Hole in bladder Thank you

Thank you for your kind words, you can't imagine how helpfull they are. I can now see a light at the end of the tunnel. I am sorry you are going to have the repairs, I am just not use to being "sick" I guess, but who is? I had the repairs you are talking about and the results are nice. I guess I came out lucky. Good luck in your future repairs. And THANKS AGAIN.

Jackie
Unread 01-12-2005, 04:32 AM

Hi Jackie,

Sorry to hear all your problems. I don't know why all these DRs want to do physicals, (nice to be popular, eh?) but the person who does your surgery should be the most qualified! Usually the urologist.

My Gyn who tore my bladder during my hyst rushed in after only 10 days and tried to repair it vaginally, having never done one before! (unbeknown to me!). Consequently the repair failed and I ended up having a full abdominal repair with a scar now from navel to pubic bone, by a proper Urologist who had done 100 ops. You are going to be fine as it sounds like you have got the right person for the job, sometimes they can repair it vaginally, sometimes it needs to be abdominal, depending on the size and location. You may not actually know until you wake up.

Tell Hubby it is at least a 6 week recovery from the repair (same as hyst) and you will have a catheter afterwards, sometimes urethral, sometimes supra-pubic, sometimes both. If you have lots of questions I suggest you make a list and run it all past your surgeon beforehand. After all, it's your body!

Best of luck. If you want to you can click onto 'my journal' on the left of the page to read my whole saga. But remember, it can be fixed and you will be dry.

Best wishes, keep us posted,
Blossom
Unread 01-12-2005, 07:49 AM
Smile - Oops during Hyst. - Hole in bladder I know how you feel

Greetings fellow sister,
I can totally relate to you. I had a TAh on Nov.9 and two days after started leaking urine from my vagina. Leaking would be the wrong word, more like gushing. Ihave had a cath in this whole time. The reason being that if my bladder was kept dry it would heal on it's own. OOPS they were wrong. Two days ago I went to the urologist and was told I have to have surgery and they have to go in through my abdomen. It depends on where the tear is. I also have to wait until may because I had two adominal surgeries within a month of each other so my doc wants me to heal fully. So now after having a cath in for two months I have to wear a diaper a diaper for 5. WOOOHOOO!....LOL It's way better than the cath though. I can tell you that after the surgery you will have to wear the cath for about two weeks and after that if surgery goes well you should be back to sitting on the potty in no time. Good luck to you. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I have been through every complication known to man. I never do things the easy way. You will be in my prayers.

Lots of love and luck to you,
Kristi78
Unread 01-12-2005, 06:52 PM

Thank you for all your responses. I think I am more nervous about the bladder thing than I was about my Hyst. I think is is because I went in to it knowing that a good person was going to do the surgery. Although he is a very nice person and is trying to do everything in his power to make this next process as sucessfull as possible. (he will goin with the uroligest) Now I know the "law of averages" can catch up with you.

I have been on "diapers" for almost 3 months now so I am looking forward to "normal". but this cath. thing scares the heck out of me. I will be aftaid to leave the house - what if I spring a leak!!! At least with "diapers" I feel I have more control.

Both of the surgens have been really good to me and super nice about helping me through this. But nieve as can be, I thougt they hyst. was like repairing a car. You bring it in wam bam thank you mam and you are out and living a normal life. Silly me.

Maybe I am feeling sorry for myself but I am scared. I can't talk to my friends about it as they come unglued to think that I won't be the strong one as usual. Fell off that pedistal also.

Any way only 2 left and counting.

Thanks again. You have helped me through this, without Hister Sisters, I am not sure how I would make it through this. It is nice to know you are not alone. Thanks again.
Unread 01-12-2005, 09:25 PM

Jackie...

Good luck with your repair. For my first fistula repair, my doc also did not know until he "went in" what kind of approach he would use. It ended up being a vaginal repair, but unfortunately that did not work, so I ended up with an abdominal repair a couple of months later with an incision like Blossom's.

After each repair, I did have catheters (yes, 2 of them at a time), but the foley came out within a week after each surgery, and the suprapubic one was in longer.

Let us know how you are doing!

s to you!

Dee
Unread 01-14-2005, 02:57 PM
bladder oops

Dear Sister,

I am 4 days post op (LAVH for cancer) and shared your fears. Unfortunately they did find scar tissue (which was a total suprise to all) I have been misdiagnosed for twenty years with painful periods(endometreosis). Well anyway.....they did nick my bladder but luckily caught it before they closed. The surgeon they brought in fixed me vaginally and other than the slight inconvenience of the cathetor I am feeling good. Be positive and I am sure that everything will go fine....get plenty of rest and pamper yourself before you go in and if you do have to go home with a cathetor it is just like having an extra purse! Besides it is a nice reminder to your loved ones that you need some tender loving care!
Unread 01-21-2005, 11:56 AM
What were the symptoms

To any of you who have experienced the hole in the bladder - how did you know?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register