High Blood pressure! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

High Blood pressure! High Blood pressure!

Unread 01-10-2005, 05:50 AM
High Blood pressure!

Hi sisters,

Hope you are all recoving well!

In hospital my BP was high after my op.
I have been today to the Dr surgrey and saw the nurse/practioner, a new lady that I havent seen before. I told her how I am feeling and she took my blood pressure it was 156/110. This is the highest its ever been.
She has sent me home and told me to come back in a week.
I cant see things well at the moment, have a bad headache and I keep getting confused.(I put that down to foggy brain!!!!!)

Im really worried if this is right?????
Have any of the sisters had the same thing??????

Hope you can help me out.

Tricia x x x

TAH< RSO>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 05:57 AM
High Blood pressure!

Did you tell the NP about your vision and headaches? You need to go back to the office, she should have never sent you home with symptoms like that without helping you. You need to call this am and tell them what is going on and you need to see the doc TODAY! Don't let them brush you off....high blood pressure is nothing to mess around with. Please let us know what the doc said. You must tell them about your symtoms though!
Unread 01-10-2005, 06:17 AM
High Blood pressure!

hi Marianwrn.

Yes I told her about my eyes and the headache. She told me to take paracetamol.I will call again after 2 pm after lunch, Im struggling to write this with my eyes.

Thanks.

tricia z x x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 07:02 AM
High Blood pressure!

Hi Tricia,

Poor thing, I can understand your concern. I have had my blood pressure go high like yours is now and the dr couldn't get me on the blood pressure meds fast enough. I am trying to understand what this NP could have been thinking. Have you been in a lot of pain? It does seem strange she would send you home with just pain medication. Did she give you any indication what she was thinking- like, we will give this one week and see what happens?
How is your stress level, other than dealing with your blood pressure?
I agree you need to call the office back and tell them how bad you are feeling. You may need to tell them you want to see a different dr for another opinion on this.
In the mean time, you need to be taking it very easy. When the first dr discovered my very high bp he told me to take it easy and not push myself until they could get it under control.
I'm not trying to scare you. I walked around like that for several days,not knowing it was there and did just fine. It is just better to be cautious and with your headache and vision problems it might help you to rest and not push yourself.
Please call and let us know what you find out.

s, Rita
Unread 01-10-2005, 07:42 AM
High Blood pressure!

I agree with the other posters.
You should have the pressure reading taken after you have been in the office for a while, somewhat relaxed, not after you fought traffic, etc to get there.

My pressure was up post-op. I bought a cuff to measure it at home. Ideal measurements should be taken while relaxed, etc.

Your symptoms need to be addressed with a little more urgency, in MY opinion.

I have been checking mine at home, and it has gone down quite a bit. When I go in for my post-ops, I am bringing my monitor with me-they don't mind. It helps them to help you see if the are somewhat matching.

Also, I always have a high reading if a smaller arm cuff is used on me. I ALWAYS ask for the big cuff. Some facilities have just one, and the newer ones can accomidate more arm sizes.

I'm not HUGE, but I'm not tiny, and my arms have some meat as I used to teach aerobics

I hope that you feel better-Oh, you can also check it at the places where they have the machines for a free check.
We sometimes do that-just to see the difference after driving to the place, and check it again before we leave. Does not take much to amuse me
Good Luck!!!!

Marcia
Unread 01-10-2005, 07:44 AM
High Blood pressure!

I have Chronic High BP and it is very common for me to run 180/110 avg BP for the last 15+ (since I was 25 years old) years and I take 2 BP meds to boot. After surgery at my 1 week Post Op Appt my BP was 200/118, yes, I had Blurred vision, nausea and Headache with that. Even some Tachycardia. Dr. says its common for Bp's to rise after surgery from the meds and anesthesia they give ya. Mine is back down to 160/100 this am and that is where it is a low avg I run. He said If it cont. to run high (180/110) see my Internists. Remember its the bottom number they worry about the most. Top number shows the stress (how nervous you are) your under; but, bottom number shows the effects/damage to your arteries etc... My experience I have had in the past with many diff. Dr.'s they don't panic with high BP's till around 200/120 which is sad cause some people that it is too late and end up with a stroke.

If you don't run High BPs you should talk to the Dr or your reg GP Dr. if you don't get an answer you feel comfortable with the nurse, secretary or NP. Also be aware you would be very surprise who really is a nurse in a Dr.'s office! Most Dr.s hire Med. office asst, Nurse Aids or someone they label as a nurse. Ask your nurse her creditentials are, you may be surprised. I will only use an LPN, LVN or and RN and NP as a nurse! And if they don't give me a satisified answer I would be demanding to see or have the Dr call me back. I would only have a true nurse give
info, shots or treatments from not someone less qualified when it comes to me and my family. Yes, it is hard to find a Dr who actually uses a real nurse because it is cheaper to use nurse asst. and med. office asst. It does makes me angry when they say they are a nurse but when confronted they are only a nurses aid/med. office asst. Just my opinion and I know I will step on a few toes on this one. So if I do, Sorry just my honest opinion.
Boneta
YAH/BSO 12-21-04
Unread 01-10-2005, 08:03 AM
High Blood pressure!

Hi,

Thanks everyone.

My vision is worse and im going back to the dr now. Seeing the np again. The surgrey is 10 minutes walk and i am not allowed to drive yet.

I will let you all know how I go.

Tricia x x x
Unread 01-10-2005, 08:04 AM
High Blood pressure!

Here, here - me too!

Check out the thread below titled "High blood pressure thread" (famous on HS) - alot of good info there.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...blood+pressure

Mine went up from a lifetime of 90/60 to 158/87 last time it was checked. (going to Doc tomorrow)

joano
Unread 01-10-2005, 08:18 AM
High Blood pressure!

I know that mine had snuck up over the last few years, but at my two week appt. it was 149/90 and Dr. put me on a mild BP med. We'll see what it is in two weeks.

Good Luck to you!!!

Virginia
Unread 01-10-2005, 09:15 AM
High Blood pressure!

My BP went up at my 2 weeks appointment. I was seeing my regular doc, not my surgeon, and it went sky high -- actually similar to yours. Right there in his office! The headache started there, too. To top it off my heart was racing also. Timing couldn't have been more perfect. He said it was a combination of things -- surgery, going off pain pills (the increase in pain will cause BP to spike), lack of hormones, weight, swelly belly. He upped my estrogen, and put me back on Toprol ( a beta blocker) until things stablilize. I have to check it at home. I hate beta blockers, but I knew I needed it for this problem. He was very concerned, called the compounding pharmacist for the estrogen, and explained why this happens. I go back in a month or earlier if my BP still doesn't go down. It's as if our bodies havn't been through enough, now the BP is problematic also. Sigh.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register