My First Post Op Post!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My First Post Op Post!!! My First Post Op Post!!!

Unread 01-10-2005, 08:09 AM
My First Post Op Post!!!

Hey all you sisters! Wow - I can hardly believe that I'm posting..............here..................on the POST op board.................must mean the surgery is BEHIND me!!!!! Yee hawww!!!!!

Well, I'm doing great! Can I say I LOVE Percoset!?! I've never had major surgery before (well, tonsillectomy when I was 15 - horrible experience all the way around), never stayed overnight in a hospital, and well, it was just all great (this hospital experience, I mean).!

Of course, it helped beyond measure that my sister stayed with me in the hospital. She has held my hand through this whole ordeal as I am also at the beginning of a divorce, so I have to give her HUGE thanks all around.

I'm 4 days post op now and am figuring out right quick what I can and cannot do. Okay - now I "get" the whole "don't lift anything more than 5 pounds." Uh-huh! And I'm one who buys dog food in the 40 pound bags. Glad I stocked up prior to surgery. Wow - anything that has any weight at all, and I "feel" it along my 10" incision. I so want to heal properly. Although I like doing for myself, I know this is an important time to let others take care of me and BE the Just BE the That IS my mantra!! My only complaint - haven't had a BM yet........................I'm taking stool softeners, Metamucil, I get up and down a bit so I'm moving some.....................that will be quite a moment when my body finally gets moving in that direction! Ha! So - if any of you post op sisters have recommendations about the BM thing, I'm all ears!!!

Happy post op to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 08:38 AM
My First Post Op Post!!!

JPod,
I had surgery on Tuesday 4th and didn't have a BM until Friday the 7th. I was taking colace, Citricel, drinking 66 oz of water plus juice and walking. I think the water and walking helped the most. Good luck. It has been daily since. Not normal but something is happening daily. I think it may take a while for things to be normal.
Unread 01-10-2005, 09:08 AM
My First Post Op Post!!!

Welcome back!! I am 7 days out and I know how you feel! Your BM will come....trust me. When it does, you will feel so much better...I drank alot of apple juice simply because I love it and I had a BM not long after I came home.

Keep the Gas-X and Percocet handy.....those are your best friends right now.

When you feel better, look for my post "bored and trying to laugh about it".....I am rather disappointed that only one person felt the need to share in my lunacy.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 11:09 AM
My First Post Op Post!!!

LoL Leigh, I responded because I am going insane with boredom also??? Today I am so bored, I can't even get interested in a new book :eyes:

:dragon:
Unread 01-10-2005, 11:57 AM
My First Post Op Post!!!

Jpod,
congratulations, good to hear your home. As far as the BM situation, I have to admit that and the gas were my biggest hurdles. Stool softeners worked well and remember to drink lots, and lots of water. This may sound strange but I found that leaning back while on the toilet helped me. Pretend your toilet is a recliner if that makes any sense. I found that things were no longer in the same place after surgery and sitting upright on the toilet for me was not working, so for a few weeks this odd position helped. Good luck and don't forget to rest, rest, and rest.
Unread 01-10-2005, 12:03 PM
My First Post Op Post!!!

Look out - I loved the percocet, too, until I found out that oxycontin (the generic name) is notorious for causing constipation. I was having somewhat serious problems, so I weaned myself off the stuff during the day after 10 or 11 days and then kept taking it before bed until my prescription was gone. Switched to Advil during the day.

Just realize there can be a connection between the two (percocet and constipation)!

Glad all is well so far - aside from the issue above, I too, had a good recovery. I'm at 16 weeks with no regrets. Went back to work at 6 weeks and never looked back.

Good luck!
Unread 01-10-2005, 03:24 PM
My First Post Op Post!!!

W E L C O M E
to POST-OP, new JPod!

I know it's way cool to be a Princess and everything, but try not to spend toooo much time on your throne. (porcelain)
And New Princesses must not Strain themselves, either...

Please mind your Sisters' Good Advice or else we will send the Pillow Police after you!

So glad to hear you are home and things went well for you.

Hug,
joano
Unread 01-10-2005, 04:54 PM
My First Post Op Post!!!

I also had BM problems... if I recall correctly it took me 7 days.
When it finally did happen it scared the hell out of me because from my left knee down went numb! S.O. had to help me off the toilet. But it only happened that 1st time. My Dr told me to stay away from GasX... which annoyed me because I had it stocked up for the occasion.
I have a very low pain tollerance... so I have taken almost 4 bottles of Percocet. Plus the 2 pills every 4 hours in the hospital for 4 days. So if ya total it up I have had somewhere around 140 Percocet in 5 weeks. I share this information because... I have maintained an active BM routine. I can almost go on command.
In the hospital my Dr had asked me if I drank caffeine on a daily basis at home. I usually drink 2 cups of coffee every morning.
He told me that caffeine is a great stimulant and to continue drinking ALOT of it. So while in the hospital I kept buzzing the nurses for coffee. Also I drank about a gallon of bottled water every day! Water helps alot ... you can just feel it working!!
Now at home I drink the coffee as usual. 2 cups every morning... with a soy creamer. By the time I'm done with the first cup ... I'm on the toilet. Guaranteed!!! And not only do I go every morning.... but usually I go 2-3 times EVERY DAY! I was worried to stop taking the stool softner... just the thought of not having a soft stool made me panic. But according to the Dr the caffeine is keeping it in a soft state. I do reccomend staying away from McDonalds coffee though I drank half a cup at the resturaunt and ran to their bathroom. Stomach felt like I had the worst virus in the history of man!
Anyhow just my and personal experience. But for some people... it may be worth a try.
Good luck!
Melissa
Unread 01-10-2005, 05:08 PM
My First Post Op Post!!!

Thanks all you hystersisters!! I knew I wasn't alone in the constipation battle. I knew coffee helped, and have been drinking alot, at the hospital and at home. As Joano knows, I my coffee! I'm only drinking drip and Americanos though, until that first BM.................then, it's a caramel macchiato for sure!!! Milk just hasn't sounded too good yet, for some reason..................

Well, my sis just went to get us Starbucks, a laxative, and peppermint tea! I called the nurse at my doc's office, and she said to brew 3 to 4 teabags of peppermint in one mug, and drink it down as quickly and as hot as I can stand it. She said it's a natural laxative.........................I'll let you all know how it goes.

Still don't know what I'd do wthout all you sisters out there! My sister has to go back to Portland, OR and her life and family tomorrow - I am going to miss her terribly..................................but, I will survive

Okay - more later to be sure!!
Unread 01-11-2005, 02:49 AM
My First Post Op Post!!!

If all else fails, try milk of magnesia; however, use only a minimal amount first time and wait for a good period of time to see if it works. I didn't wait and then took some more. You do not want to take too much It is painful and you will never leave the bathroom

xoxo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register