Going back to School | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Over 50? - Thee and Me!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to School Going back to School

Unread 01-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Going back to School

Thought I'd start this thread, since Pat "Prush" mentioned going back to school.

Go for it if you have the desire!!! I worked for a university continuing education program for a while, and saw many women in their 40's & 50's and older *thrive* in their classes. Yes, there are challenges...but if it is your heart desire, go for it!

As an adult, you have lots of "experiences" that a younger (20's) student doesn't have...sometimes the bookwork & theories validate what you already "know."

I finished my Masters when I was 51.

bliss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Going back to School

Great idea for a thread, Bliss!

I got my bachelor's degree almost exactly ten years after my high school diploma - my education was interrupted by a couple of years in the army, marriage and a baby.

My last year I did several hours towards a Master's but didn't pursue it because of financial reasons. I've always regretted that.

I've thought about going back several times but we live in the boonies and the closest Master's program is not within commuting distance. I've checked out a few online programs but haven't been impressed.

I think education is a plus at any point in life. Kudos on getting your Master's!!! There had to have been some challenges involved in doing that!
Unread 01-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Smile - Going back to School Going back to School

Blissful, Thanks for your support. I've been having second thoughts today but I've been wanting to do this forever!
I guess we'll see how strong the desire is once the coursework starts!

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2005, 03:54 AM
Going back to School

Hi, I just found this forum and am lovin it.
I'm wondering if anyone has done course work on line and their observations? Have a friend who just turned 50 who now is pursuing her RN degree; she does 90 percent of her work on line and then takes course final exams at the college. Perhaps an idea for those who want to pursue/finish a degree but don't live near a campus or can't find time for a commute.

peggiesue
Unread 01-11-2005, 04:51 AM
Going back to School

Blissful et al,

My daughter has a friend whose mother is working on her PhD online! I think that is awesome.

I went back in my 40s and got a second degree. Loved being in school surrounded by 20 yr olds. I recommend it to everyone. It was invigorating.

My daughter just graduated in Dec with 2 bachelor degrees. I KNOW if I won the lottery she'd stay in school and get many more degrees. She just loves school.

Wilma
Unread 01-20-2005, 01:09 AM
Going back to School

I went back to complete the last two years for my bachelor's and graduated in 2003 at age 53. Best experience of my life, for the most part. I grew so much, personally.
Unread 01-20-2005, 09:57 AM
LA

That's so encouraging to hear. I'm a little nervous about going back but I've put it off way too long! What was the hardest part for you? What major did you pursue?
Pat
Unread 01-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Going back to School

I finished my masters degree when I was 52. I immediately got a better job. Now that I am 62, I don't think 52 is that old. It took me nearly three years to get the degree while working. In addition, I took 45 additional credits of continuiing education for more pay. I did well in graduate school and had all A's. It was hard to go back to school because of the data bases and need to be computer literate. I only had a word processor. I kept losing the data and wasting my time. It was very frustrating. I probably could do better now that I know about computers. I would need a laptop for class. I miss school. It was fun to be with the young people. They were very helpful. I found out that it is okay to ask many questions --as many as needed.
Unread 01-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Going back to School

In my opinion, as long as you can still think and hear and see, it's "never too late" to pursue a higher education. I know so many people who (often due to lay-offs in their first career) decide to go back to college to learn something entirely different...becoming lawyers, dentists, teachers, etc., when they are middle-aged, like we are.

When I was in college, back in the Neolithic era, there were very few students on campus and in my classes who were "older adults." The "mature" man or woman sitting in a college lecture hall stood out. In smaller classes, I was one of the students who sometimes "adopted" one of the "Mom or Dad" novelties, and got them to go with us for coffee afterwards, etc. It seemed like they had a lot of fun being the "oldster" among us youngsters.

My dental hygenist, who is "pushing 50" and is now an empty-nester, told me she has been fantasizing about returning to college to become a dentist, and I have been trying to persuade her to "go for it." She loves working on teeth...why not?

I encourage those of you with a "thirst for knowlege" to quench it! If you believe it, you can achieve it!
Unread 01-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Going back to School

I've often thought of going back to school but just haven't gotten around to it.

I think that what I'd really like to do is a culinary class. Not a school - I don't want grades. I'd just like to learn how to cook some wonderful gourmet meals.

I'm working on getting my DH to agree to go with me - he sees better for night driving. They're on the other side of Houston. Houston traffic give me nightmares.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register