Anybody told the Big "O" is a NO-NO?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody told the Big "O" is a NO-NO?? Anybody told the Big "O" is a NO-NO??

Unread 01-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Anybody told the Big "O" is a NO-NO??

Just got off the phone Dr. about my sudden bleeding @ 5 wks (earlier post) - I was told this is no big deal.. tissue is healing.. not unusual to bleed at this stage.. just take it easy and it should subside.. will be checked out at 6 wk post op visit.

Thought I would take this opportunity to ask some specific sex questions.. (DH does not believe me that oral is NOT ok..) - I was really surprised that I was told not only nothing in the vagina until further advised.. BUT no stimulation AT ALL as well.. nothing that would cause blood to rush to that area - or contractions as in "O"....term used was "total pelvic rest" !!

This is the first I have heard about this!! Anybody else been advised of this..?? I have read posts about "outercourse", etc being ok!?? That "worked" for me but I had no idea I could be doing harm!!??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 02:37 PM

Each and every case is individual. Depending on the individual, a doctor might clear a patient for outercourse during recovery. Some clear for intercourse earlier than 6 weeks and for others its months.

BTW, although I did not indulge in outercourse during recovery, I had some O's that awakened me...involuntary O's. Not much a girl can do about that. My point is, do your best.

Try not to worry.
Unread 01-10-2005, 02:54 PM

I wondered about the same thing, and DH said he remember specifically that the doc said no intercourse until 6 weeks. So we only assumed that outercourse would be ok. We did participate in outercourse at 4 weeks, and I had no pain with the big "O", but then later I would get pains in my side, but nothing major, so I thought it was ok. I will be at 6 weeks on Wednesday, and I'm sure DH will want to try and do something, but I'm leary. I'll tell him what your doc said, so maybe he'll be more understanding when Wednesday rolls around.

TAH BSO 11/30/04 endo everywhere!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 03:10 PM

Oh, I didn't know either, but now I understand why things started hurting all over. I had my total hysterectomy on Nov. 30, but I had to be have another surgery on Dec. 7th (my sutures popped). I am 5 weeks out tomorrow and we tried this this morning. All day long I have not felt well. Now I understand!
Thanks for the advice - we are waiting for the OK!
Unread 01-10-2005, 03:14 PM

My doctor said no orgasms for 4 weeks and no oral until I was cleared for intercourse.

I did have a few in my sleep and found them to be very different - very shallow. I was a little worried until later in recovery when the returned to what I was used to.

Definitely follow your doctor's recommendation - even at 4 weeks I felt a bit of tugging during the vaginal contractions the first few times my DSO and I fooled around.

Take care.
Unread 01-10-2005, 04:01 PM

NO Oral! Way my GYN explained to me is that the human mouth is not very clean and can pass on very, very nasty bacteria/germs to the vagina that can swim up and cause a major infection! Bacteria and germs love a dark, warm, and moist place to grow in!It is not worth the chance and best to wait till you heal and Dr. gives you an ok!

Boneta
TAH/BSO 12-21-04
Unread 01-10-2005, 10:22 PM

my gyn told me absolutely nothing in the vagina for six weeks but orgasms are probably ok after a couple weeks. i'm interested to hear what others have been told as well! diane
Unread 01-10-2005, 11:02 PM

I was told no intercourse for 4 weeks, I didnt ask about outercourse or 'o's because that was the fathest thing from my mind at the time.I had tvh, I wonder if that makes a difference to what the gyny tells you. My cuff wasnt healed either but I was still cleared for sex at 4 weeks. Outercourse from week 2.My gyny is the guru of hysts so I am happy with what he told me.I think it also depends on how you are feeling and at the post op checkup the docs can see quite clearly by your walking,sitting down etc how well and quickly the healing is going.
Sex is still not quite there yet, half way in is fabulous, no pain everything working just fine but rampant sex leaves me the next day with pains in stomach,like period pains.
Didn't ask about oral either, just assumed it would be o.k, DH has renewed his interest in this, I am not complaining one bit.
Something good comes out of everything eh!!
The biggest advice I would give is give whatever you want a go, take it slowly,and gently, if you feel o.k the next day etc, then that's your green light to go wild. If it hurts STOP!! you are not ready!!
Unread 01-11-2005, 03:51 AM

Hi,

I was actualy one o the lucky ones and was able to have sex at 4.2weeks with no problems what so ever but at 10days I decided I wanted to know if I could still orgasm so I found out I could (no sex though) but god I ached for days after so it's best to wait until your given the ok!!

Best wishes

Shep
Unread 01-11-2005, 04:00 PM

I experienced my first "O" in my second week since the op...
No pain, no problems...

However about 3 hours later I suddenly got a feeling like someone was giving me a "wedgie"...
I swore my knickers were too tight and cutting into me - but that wasn't the problem.
It could have been the way I was sitting, it could have been the 20 min walk I'd just gotten back from (or it could have been the "O"), but upon "examination" I looked like everything had swollen up (down there) & was super sensitive.

From 2 days after that, an "O" a day has passed the time away - I think it is different for everyone, so if you don't feel "up to it" don't try it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register