LSH Laparoscopic Supracervical Hyst. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH Laparoscopic Supracervical Hyst. LSH Laparoscopic Supracervical Hyst.

Unread 01-10-2005, 03:23 PM
LSH Laparoscopic Supracervical Hyst.

I don't see this surgery much on the forum, what experiences can you share with me. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 04:01 PM

I had this surgery about 9 months ago and am extremely happy and lucky to have found a doctor skilled in this procedure. I was home same day of surgery and cleared for all normal activity after 7 days. However, just because it's an amazing surgery doesn't mean the recovery doesn't have it's share of ups and downs for each individual.

My recovery was fairly rapid after the first 4-5 days of some soreness. The only day I required pain meds was the day of surgery, nothing after that.

My milestone recovery times were around 3 weeks when belly swelling began to go down a bit and my minor bladder problems began improving. Next big improvement was around 6-9 weeks.

Month 4 felt almost normal again.

Now at 9 months can't even believe I ever had surgery. No scars, no pain. Just feel great!
Unread 01-10-2005, 04:48 PM

Hi About Time,

I too had a LSH. I am 8 1/2 months post op now and feel great. No more fibroid pressure, no more b.c. and no more aunt flows. I have my health and it feels great.

In pre-op, I had pelvic pressure 24/7 from my fibroids. I also had bladder incontinence and my energy level made me feel 90 yrs. old. My periods did not get heavier until right after I was diagnosed with fibroids. Life was miserable!!

I took it easy the first two weeks. Very slow. I got a greenlight for all activities at 6 weeks.

I can suggest you check on having your cervix cauterized during surgery. I had mine cauterized and I do not have mini-periods. You might have read about them.

Best wishes,

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 04:51 PM

I just had my LSH on 1/5/05. I'd agree that while it is a less invasive procedure, there is still swelling and pain afterwards. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck when I woke up in recovery! My only pain has been on my left side, which is where they hooked up the morcillator (the machine used to chop up the uterus into smaller pieces to be able to remove it). The pain gets slighter each day (I'm 5 days post-op) and I'm able to move about the house pretty well. I'm taking it easy for the first 2 weeks, then who knows how I'll feel!

There are quite a few women who have had LSH; hopefully they'll post some more replies for you.

Lori
Unread 01-10-2005, 05:34 PM

I had an LSH 4 months ago today.

I was surprised at how quickly I was up and around. It was much faster than after my C-section and much less painful. I was in hosp for 48 hrs. I think my hosp is kind of conservative this way...they usually keep you for 24-36 hrs, but added even more time for me because I had 2 small children at home.

The worst pain for me was the gas pain post op. Unfortunately the only thing for that is walking. Pain meds don't touch it for some reason. But walking really does.

My DH took a week off to be my nurse. Turns out the only thing I needed him for was help with the kids. If I had no kids or if my kids were older I would have been fine at home alone.

3 of my 4 incisions opened up. So my scars are going to be a bit worse than normal, I think. The large one is still raised and red/purple and a bit tender.

Although my cervix was cauterized, I do have mini periods which are very light but last about 8 days. My doc did not tell me about this possibility before hand . , because this is the first time he's had it happen to one of his patients. I would suggest that you really think about how much you would mind having a mini period (keeping in mind that most of the time they are only 2 or 3 days and require only a panti-liner). Some women don't mind it at all and others can get *very* discouraged. I think the chances of getting a mini period, esp. if cauterized like Mary said, are fairly slim. But if *any* future bleeding would bother you, it's something to keep in mind.

If you are a candidate for an LSH I would recommend it. Recovery seems to be *quite* easier for this type of surgery.

Good luck with your decision and your surgery!

Margot

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register