looking for that rectocele | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

looking for that rectocele looking for that rectocele

Unread 01-10-2005, 03:59 PM
looking for that rectocele

I had DH look and see if he could see my rectocele lying and standing, he said he couldn't see anything, I tried to look with a mirror, but about fell over trying to look...LOL I am experiencing a lot of pressure/pain right there tonight which is why I had him look---would I have to wait until stool was stuck inthere to see it...that hasn't happened since that last time because I have been eatin the heck out of some fiber and going poo everyday at least once.
My GP gave me more percs until I see my new doc but in RE; MS contin, she said to try my docs office again and if they still won't write the script, she said she would call them herself.woohoo! I am not so scared about withdrawl now if I can't get the ms contin at least I have the percs to help with the pain and withdrawls somewhat, but she even said, I am still under his care until this doc takes over, so how can he just blow me off and say no more, see another doc if you can't wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 11:54 PM

I have a rectocele from my TAH/BSO and although several doctors recommended surgery, I was reluctant to undergo anymore so I got another opinion. This doctor suggested waiting on the surgery and trying some estrogen therapy instead. Amazingly, the estrogen therapy plumped up the vaginal walls and between that and a careful diet I have improved tremendously.
At this point, no one is suggesting surgery.

Are you on any kind of vaginal estrogen? If not, this may be something to discuss with your doctor.
Unread 01-11-2005, 12:53 AM

Marian,

Sorry to hear your having pressure & pain...

I am glad your GP helped you and gave you enough pain meds until you see your new doctor.... It sounds like your GP is on your side to help make sure you are comfterble... That is so important.

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2005, 06:50 AM

Thanks Kim,
I am feeling a little bit better this morning since I had been laying down in the recliner since last night.
Unread 01-17-2005, 03:06 PM

Please give me more information about this vaginal estogen. Is it oral or is it inserted vaginally? Do you have a brand name that you doctor uses? I have just been diagnosed with a rectocele. Two Uro-GYN's have told me to wait on surgery since I'm 46 and they are discovering new techniques everyday. That in ten years there might be something better for me if I can wait for it.

Thanks for you help!
Unread 01-17-2005, 03:19 PM

Hi Lonny,

Yes, I would sure wait if you can on that surgery!

I used Vagifem (brand name), which is a tablet about the size of an aspirin that you insert, vaginally, with what looks like a teeny, tiny, blue tampon applicator. It's very easy. The vaginal estrogen stays mostly in the vagina area and isn't absorbed into the blood stream too much. (This is something they had to be careful about for me for awhile.) I also use a sublingual (under the tongue), naturally compounded, bio-identical estrogen tablet which helps me function in so many other aspects. (I just couldn't do without hormones.)

I hope this helps and that you will be able to manage without surgery.

Best wishes,
Lucille
Unread 01-17-2005, 03:41 PM

Lucille,

Why would you wait? I hear pros and cons.
Unread 01-17-2005, 04:40 PM

If your rectocele is relatively small and isn't causing you a lot of trouble you would probably be better off to wait. The problem with rectocele repairs is that they often fail. The newer repairs with grafts (pigskin, mesh, cadaver tissue, etc.) so far seem to have a better success rate, but are relatively recent. They haven't had a lot of time to evaluate them.

Even five years might help while they determine what type of graft works best or even come up with something better.
Unread 01-19-2005, 06:32 PM

I had a Stage 3 rectocele repaired at the same as my hyst, 4 years ago. While the grafts were not used by my OB/GYN, there repairs have held, this far.

I agree that if the prolapse is minor, Stage 1 or early Stage 2, there may be options other than to have the repairs. These include the use of devices such as pressaries or the use of Biofeedback Pelvic Therapy. However, it is unlikely that larger prolapses will be helped with such therapies.

Even after the repair, it's a good idea to seek the help of a therapist in order to avoid further prolapses at a later date. And it's important to remember that after a prolapse, we're at greater risk for further prolapses, especially if we no longer have the support of a cervix.
Unread 01-19-2005, 08:34 PM

Dany,

I still have my cervix since I had a hysterectomy due to uterine fibroids I kept my ovaries, too. They did not tell me what stage my rectocele was. I do not have any other prolapse that I know of. They tell me my cervix is still in place, my vagina is strong otherwise, my Burch is still in place. I believe my pelvic floor is in pretty good shape otherwise.

The hysterectomy has not caused the rectocele in MHO nor in my URO-GYN's. It was my constipation and bearing down over time that has done it. I also had a chronic cough due to acid reflux which has just been diagnosed and has been addressed. Probably an other contributer to the rectocele prolapse - as I have read that severe chronic coughing can contribute to prolapse.

But I must splint every day no matter how much fiber I put in my diet. My mornings revolve around my bm. It's not severely painful. I've had severe pain recovering from my hysterectomy. And I suffer from migraines. So I can say its not severely painful. Its just... lets say its uncomfortable and somewhat debilitating every morning.

I'm very happy that I no longer have to work outside the house. Because if I did, I would have no idea how I'd make it to work on time everyday. I must have a bm in the morning before I am able to leave the house or I WILL be in pain.

I feel like I did when I was deciding whether or not I should or should not have a hysterectomy for my fibroid problem. It too was not life threating. It too was not extremely painful. But, it was extremely debilitating. Wearing 3 thick pads and two tampons on the heaviest days and changing a gazillion times a day. Sleeping on towels so I wouldn't soil my sheets at night and getting up 3 to 5 times a night to change my pads. Going to work dog tired because I got no sleep the night before. Coming home and going right to bed and starting all over again. Then there would be a few weeks of freedom but I was stuggling with anemia during those times and then I'd start the vicious cycle all over again.

Now in this case I'm debilitated ever morning. Then I feel pretty good the rest of the day unless I eat too much fiber that day. Now I'm wondering which is worse? I weeks worth of debiliation with a few weeks off or a few hours worth of debiliation everyday with the rest of day off.

I just wish I knew what I should do.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register