looking for that rectocele - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

looking for that rectocele looking for that rectocele

Unread 02-13-2005, 05:45 PM
looking for that rectocele

I know how you feel. It seems like I get one thing fixed and something else fails . But, I'm hoping that soon I'll be all back together again too. I'm so happy I was able to keep my cervix because I think it has been a big support down there for me.

Good luck with your nursing schooling. I just completed my grad work in Dec. 2004. I keep saying I never want to go back to school again. But I said that when I got my B.S. My mother always said, "Never say never"

I'm sure that when I set my surgery date I'll be checking in with you and asking you all sorts of questions about my procedure. Right now I don't know what's going to happen or when.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2005, 08:03 PM

Hello
Don't be afraid of the rectocele repair. It has been a breeze to me . I also had a enterocele repair. I feel so much better. I can actually have a BM without hurting.

I am not surprised that I have a cystocele that seems to be growing. I read all prolapses should be fixed during the same procedure or they will just get worst!! I have no idea why my gyn didn't fix it while in there. He knew about it. I asked right before going into surgery if he was going to fix it? He may have missed this one, but I forgive him. He is still the nicest Dr. I have ever gone to. I would like it fixed while still off, so I could go ahead and get the suspension done too. After that I don't think there could possibly be anything left to fix!

Then I could concentrate on becoming a

Feel free to pm or email me anytime when you have your repair done. I am here for you!

Peggy
Unread 02-14-2005, 06:51 AM

Peggy,

Thanks for the encouragement regarding the rectocele repair. I sure need it. I'm really scared after the hysterectomy recovery. Everyone who had the repair has told me the repair is nothing like the hysterectomy recovery. So, I'm feeling better about it. But I'm still scared.

There are several kinds of prolapses, so I'm told. The hospital where I'm going has a good website describing them (Magee-Women's Hsp. in Pittsburgh) See URL:
http://www.mwri.magee.edu/urogyne/prolapsetype.htm
I've had two so far: cystocele which was fixed with my hysterectomy & now rectocele.

I suppose you've had three, cystocele (still to be corrected), enterocele & rectocele (which have been corrected).

The last one on the list which neither of us have had is the dreaded vaginal vault prolapse According to Magee's website this prolapse is caused by tears or detachment of the top of the vagina from its attachments to the bony pelvis, which cause the front and back of the vaginal wall to fall. Vaginal vault prolapse can occur following a hysterectomy. :hair:

I'm -ing that my cervix will prevent this last and most dreaded of prolapses. My grandfather's first cousin has this prolapse and I don't even think she ever had a hysterectomy. And she only had one child. So I'm really fearful of it. I guess you could say it runs in my family.

BTW, Happy Valentine' Day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2005, 08:56 AM

Lonny

HAPPY day to you too.

Thanks for the web site. it is quite resourceful. I don't know if I will ever need my cystocele fixed or not, but sure hope neither one of us will ever have a vaginal vault prolapse.s We can do without that one. I don't have a cervix or uterus(of course) so I know things can slip around in there.

Have a wonderful day!!

Peggy
Unread 02-14-2005, 03:43 PM

Hi all you repairsisters!!

On 3/2 I'm scheduled for A&P repairs, enterocele repair & the dreaded vaginal vault suspension. I don't know if it's the Ativan my uro/gyn gave me to calm me down or the fact that I absolutely trust this doctor, but I'm okay with all of the repairs. I had my pre-op with him last week - really just me asking 1,000 questions - he answered me honestly & completely----he is SO secure in his skills & knowledge. He's been doing this for over 25 years....help to set up the Society of uro/gyn in California in the 80's. I just feel safe & in good hands. The thing with the vaginal vault suspension is that it can cause buttock pain, but that usually goes away with time. If the pain radiates down your leg then it's sciatic pain & something about a stitch near the nerve, which can be easily corrected. I'm really okay .. just the usual fears. I only hope and pray I stay asleep with this surgery - had anesthesia awareness with my hyster (different doc & hospital), of course I told my dr. & he assures me that he will be speaking with his anesthesia team - I gave him copies of the anesthesia rept when my hyst was done, so that might help them (and me) out!!! I hope all of you post-op repairsisters continue on the path of a relatively smooth & uneventful recovery!!!
Unread 02-14-2005, 05:33 PM

Hi Huntingmoon

I hope all goes well for you. It is wonderful you have such a good surgeon. I feel mine is very good too, but wished he would have fixed the cystocele, no matter how small it was at the time. With my experience it will grow just like the rectocele did.
My anesthesiast was wonderful. I opted to go with a spinal. I had already been out with generals two times in such a short time. When I felt a little nauseous she gave me some med that took care of it right away. Anesthesia is so much more improved than before. My spinal needle was much shorter than with my c sections 16 years ago.
Just be sure to let the anesthesiast know your concerns right before going in and I am sure everything will be fine.
Take care and try not to worry about a thing. I know it will go great for you.
I am on Ativan for post op to help me relax, so I can heal properly. My dr. upped it to 2mg 3x a day. It has really helped me too.

Good luck and I'll be thinking about you.

Peggy
Unread 02-14-2005, 06:02 PM

Hi mtdewpeg!

I asked my surgeon about going with a spinal, but he said I might not get the pain relief I needed for this surgery. I don't know if that has to do with having 4 repairs done at the same time, or what. Oddly, he said if I was having a TVH, he would be able to do it with my having a spinal! Go figure! We had a lengthy discussion about the problem I had with the anesthesia during my hyster & it was he who asked me for the copies of the report, so I know he takes me seriously & will all he can do to help me out. He assured me that I wil be speaking with them before my surgery...and believe me, if he forgets, I will be VERY vocal about my speaking with them & making perfectly sure that they take my concerns seriously & do whatever they can to prevent that from happening again. If I get so much as the smallest hint that they are blowing off my concerns, I will get up and leave. I just LOVE being almost 57 years old.....so confident & assertive!!! Thank you for your good wishes!
Unread 02-14-2005, 06:22 PM

Good luck with your surgery. I'll be thinking of you. I'll be discussing surgery with my doctor on the day of your surgery. I wish you the most successful surgery ever! I was very lucky with my hysterectomy surgery. For some reason I had the head of anesthesiology on my team that day. Luck of the draw I suppose - who knows? But I remember shaking my finger at him and saying, "Listen, I very easily. I can get car sick driving myself home on the roads of West Virginia!" The team of doctors and nurses all laughed. And I said, "Hey, this is no laughing matter here - I'm serious. I get car sick easily. And anesthesia makes me sick. My sister-in-law is a surgical nurse in Boston. And she told me you guys have this stuff you can give me before during and after surgery so I won't . And I WANT IT ALL. GIVE IT TO ME!" And my husband nodded and said, "You better give it to her, because once she starts ing she can't stop." The head of anesthesiology said, "No problem" and he started barking orders to the residents about this and that and I was given something before surgery to settle my stomache. I assume I was given somthing during and I was given something in recovery. Because I never got sick once. I get sick at the drop of a hat, so I know they can control it. You just have to tell them that you are really prone to getting sick. Or in your case your are proned to waking up. Or whatever it is your a proned to. If they know what it is that you are proned to up front they can do something ahead of time to prevent it from happening.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register