1st day home | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-10-2005, 04:50 PM
1st day home

I had my TAH on 1-6-05 and came home on the 10th. All in all it was a pretty good experience. First day the worst....I think the darn meds (morphine) is what made me feel the worse. It's amazing how everyday is a little better. Pain meds doing the job and I'm able to take a little less than what was prescribed. Appetite has been very poor due to the swelling and gas pains but 5 days later it is coming back and I ate solids today and more like my usual diet. Gas pain getting less and I've just been drinking water and walking as much as I can but hospital and house bound due to winter outside.......ice. Swelly belly still but sure a lot better than the 1st couple of days.
Main concern is how am I going to keep busy and fulfill myself for 6 weeks ? Have lots of books and might try to knit something as soon as I'm well enough to make a quick stop at the store. Plan on redoing a recipe book....typing and organizing and hoping to go out to lunch with girlfriends occassionally in a couple wks but boy the days are sure going to stay the same one after another. I'll be greatful for any ideas on how to keep your sanity thru all this particualarly with winter and ice outside. Sure would like to take a 2 block walk outside but too icy. Will try to walk the mall or something in a few days.
Thank Goodness for this site........nice to share with others going thru the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 05:00 PM
1st day home

I don't know where you are, but I can sure appreciate the snow/ice issue. We have 14" of the stuff !!!

I suspect you will find that much of the next few days will be taken up napping. I couldn't believe how, the first few days home, watching 2 hrs of t.v would "require" a follow-up 2-3 hr nap.
As you add in those books & needlework projects, you may find that they also require follow-up naps for a couple of weeks. And all those naps never seemed to affect how I slept at night, either.
I seemed to need more naps the 2nd & 3rd weeks, too.

I am looking forward to when I can hit the sidewalks, too. But, I truly don't want to hit that one slick spot that no one can see, & find myself down, waiting for the "footmen & carriage" to take me back to the castle.

There's really is no hurry to get back out on the home castle grounds. Enjoy the snow from your tower.
Unread 01-10-2005, 05:51 PM
1st day home

Welcome Home! I remember thinking the same thing as you are about keeping myself busy for 6+ weeks. Believe me it goes by very quickly. I have 2.5 weeks to go b4 back to work. I now have enough energy to do some light chores that I wanted to do. No heavy lifting, just sorting through drawers. Take this time to relax. Read, watch TV (I soon became bored of tv). I did not actualy leave the house for 5 days after I got home. I did walk out onto the porch every day for fresh air. Take care of yourself now, your body will thank you later!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 06:37 PM
1st day home

Hi nibs12,
Congratulations! You are home from the castle!

Rest, rest, rest. Then take a nap.

Then walk, rest, walk, rest, walk - and take another nap!

The walking helps the gas. Stool softeners help the bowels.
Resting helps you heal.

Drink, drink, drink - and then have something with some good fiber.

Look on this site for "post op tips."

As for stuff to do, I am no help there. I was happily bored for my recovery. TV was a treat for me. I enjoyed Oprah. She shares the latest in everything. ( I enjoyed Gwyneth Paltrow's cooking lesson on Oprah!)

The TV was fun, but my DH was a bit tired of me calling him at work saying that we "needed to buy this item I saw on TV!" (That satellite TV looked like such a good deal compaired to cable! And that folding ladder is just what we needed in that tiny garage!)

Good luck. Laugh at it as much as you can. And try to ENJOY the slowness of life for a while. You've more than earned it!

HUGS!
Eileen
Unread 01-10-2005, 06:44 PM
1st day home

I fully understand where you are coming from. My surgery was 1/5/05 and I came home Friday 1/7/05. By Saturday night I told my DD's that I was sick and tired of lying down, walking and sitting. They brought over some DVD's but I'm one of those people who hates idle time. Always have to be doing something. Just don't feel like it. Before surgery I placed all my scrapbook stuff on the dining table so it would be easily available but I don't feel like doing that. Can we say so BORED!
Unread 01-10-2005, 08:07 PM
1st day home

oh, glad to know I'm not the only one with these feelings! I actually felt guilty when I woke up this morning that I wasn't going to work. I felt that I could go, then, around 11 a.m., it was like someone turned my switch off and I had to go to sleep. I slept for 2 hours. i got up, got myself together and walked a little outside and got the mail. Around 3, I had to go back to bed, I was soooo tired! I slept for another 2 hours! Today was also my first day alone. I didn't seem to sleep/nap much after being home from the castle and over the weekend either, so maybe my body is catching up and taking advantage of the quiet.

One think I did do today, between my naps, is join blockbuster online. I'll have movies that I've been wanting to see delivered right to my mailbox. I think it will be great and my hubby won't have to be driving back and forth to the video store a few times a week.

Take care ladies,
Aimster
Unread 01-10-2005, 08:14 PM
1st day home

Hey Aimster... I don't know what blockbuster's deal is... I've belonged to Netflix for a couple of years. It's 17.95 a month and you get 3 movies at a time. Keep 'em as long as you want and send 'em back ........ and they send you some more.

I've been catching up on entire season's of things...... lol........ one dvd at a time...........

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register