Ovarian cancer diagnosed. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian cancer diagnosed. Ovarian cancer diagnosed.

Unread 01-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Ovarian cancer diagnosed.

I had my surgery (hysterectomy and removal of remaining right ovary - left ovary went May 2003) a week ago. My gyn/onc said that he now considers I had a very rare form of ovarian cancer, almost certainly of low malignant potential. I will know more when the pathology report comes back and at my six week check. He said that he finds it easier to deal with standard epithelial ovarian cancer as it is so predictable compared to the very rare tumour that I had which is very difficult to predict. However, my guess is that "low malignant potential" is a good thing, right?!

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has, or who knows anything about, ovarian tumours of low malignant potential.

I am a bit shocked at the diagnosis, but I am feeling very well, both physically and mentally. My family are being totally wonderful and that helps me to keep a positive spirit.

Jane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 10:11 PM

Jane,
So sorry you have to go through this. There are different cell types which respond differently. When you get your path report back and know the Stage, Grade and Cell type, your doctor will be in a better position to recommend any further treatment. Usually low malignant potential is good.

Is there any way you can have your doctor get you your path report before 6 weeks? The waiting game is the hardest.

s and ers

Keep us posted.

Jane B
Unread 01-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Hi Jane

sorry to hear your news. As i understand it you have been monitored for quite a while now? am i correct? So i just wondered why it took so long for them to get this diagnosis? I hope im not mixing you up with someone else. Im afraid i dont know the ins and outs of LMP but i know there are ladies on here that have had this diagnosis so hopefully they will be along soon.

It is a shock when you get this diagnosis but its good that you and your family are being positive. Will you be getting the information re your path report before your 6 week check up? The report normally takes 7-10 days.

take care
sheila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2005, 08:49 AM

Jane -

There are a number of subtypes of LMP ovarian tumors, and a correct pathological diagnosis is extremely important. You may even want a second opinion on the pathology.

The Johns Hopkins website on ovarian cancer has a whole section on LMP ovarian cancer, and a message board for the more serious form of LMP (macropapilary serous cancer)

http://pathology2.jhu.edu/ovca/

Dorrie
Unread 01-11-2005, 07:06 PM

Hi Jane,

I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but your positive mental attitude will take you far in your journey towards healing.

I dont know anything about LMP but I Just had to chime in and send you a

Hang in there,
K9
Unread 01-11-2005, 07:17 PM

s Latina

If you have to have ovarian cancer, low malignant potential or borderline is the way to go. Some experts debate whether this type is even cancerous or not. Dorrie sent you to an excellent site.
Stay calm. I really think you will do just fine. Perhaps with no further treatment. But a second opinion for that pathology is always a good idea. See if you can get a final report sooner than six weeks. Even if just to ease your mind abit.

oxoxo karenann

PS Sometimes the Hopkins website can be a little confusing to navigate. This will take you right where you want to go.
http://ovariancancer.jhmi.edu/lmp.cfm
Unread 01-11-2005, 07:46 PM

Oh, I'm sorry to hear this news, Jane. This has been a long road for you. I recall that you were initially going through some testing back when I had my surgery and treatment.

You sound good and I'm so happy that your family is so supportive. Keep those wonderful, positive people around you and you will do fine, I'm sure.

Good luck, hon.
Unread 01-11-2005, 08:15 PM

Hi Jane
I too have ovarian cancer - Grade 1a1. Its is clear cell cancer and I'm pretty sure that in the Stares they wold grade it 1a3.
You really need to know the type of tumour and the grading as there are a lot of excellent web sites deveted to ovarian cancer.

All the best Glenys
Unread 01-12-2005, 01:13 AM

Hi, Jane!

Well, I'm sorry to hear from you under these circumstances ,but it is nice to hear from you. :-) I didn't realize you were having a hysterectomy, since I recall that when you initially had a tumor, you opted not to undergo a full hysterectomy. I guess I'm curious about what happened between May 2003 and now. Did a new tumor grow or . . . ?

I hope that no further treatment is required. I think six weeks is an awfully long time to wait for a pathology to come back. One week seems to be more than enough waiting time. See if you can prod your doctor, and please let us know.

Many s!
Unread 01-12-2005, 01:28 AM

(((Jane))),

I've often thought of you, and wondered how you'd been doing. I did see the posts about your hyst, but I seem to recall that, even when you'd had your first surgery, you still suspected it would come to the hyst sooner or later.

Forgive me for not posting to your earlier threads (I just posted on the Road Less Travelled this evening for the first time in four months -- I've been lurking, unable to write). Your situation sounds like the best possible scenario under the circumstances. I'm glad your family is supportive, too. That makes everything so much easier to deal with!

That Hopkins website that (((Karenann))) named was of immense comfort to me when I was researching my situation (complex cyst, etc.) at the time of my surgery. The statistics are especially comforting. I hope you're able to get those path results sooner -- so you can get on with your recovery and your life!

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register