Anyone have ALL restrictions lifted at 4 weeks? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have ALL restrictions lifted at 4 weeks? Anyone have ALL restrictions lifted at 4 weeks?

Unread 01-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Anyone have ALL restrictions lifted at 4 weeks?

Holy cow, my mouth hit the floor at my last appointment. He talked to me for a bit, went out, came back did a pelvic, put on some silver nitrate, left to let me change, came in and said, all restrictions are lifted.

I about fell over. I am not sure I am ready to be "released". I mean, he said sex if fine, work is fine, lifting is fine, and just do what I feel I can do. I was almost sad. I guess it is scary to think that is it. He did say to take all the time I needed off of work... and I think I need at least another week this week... I will give it a try next week.

But I am shocked here. I had never heard of anyone being released this early for everything.... sex and all. Anyone?

I know we all heal differently... but geeze! I had a TAH/BSO and my hormones are a mess. I am flashing and burning up one minute, and freezing cold the next. Trying to see what all I can do just to stay comfortable to sleep longer than 3 hours in a row. Can't imagine going to work at this point. HELP!!

Andi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 09:21 PM

Andi...do we see the same dr?!? LOL At my 4 wk post op last week I, too, got clearance for everything except sex...he told me to go 3 more wks for that...but I think I wanted to be TOLD to keep taking it easy...lucky for me and dh we've had several friends tell us to take the time now to rest and recover fully...a good 6 months, but 12 wks before getting back to life...

So I'm not sure...I hear all different stories...I'm just gonna do what I feel like I can and stop when I need to...I'm driving when I have to and running errands here and there, but nothing that's back to normal!

Still take it easy!
Unread 01-10-2005, 09:22 PM

Wow, I agree with you. I had my surgery the week b4 yours, I know that I am not ready to return to work. I think that you need to listen to your body. If you feel that you need more time off, then take it if you can. I have advise from family and friends who have had this done, they say don't go back too early! So if you need to be off for a couple weeks more, then so be it. There still is an emotional side to all of this that need to be healed as well. Maybe some people don't go through that. You do what you need to do. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 09:25 PM

Hi Andi!

Hmmm, that IS interesting. After being told it would take 6 - 8 weeks and then having ALL restrictions lifted after only 4?!

If it was *ME* and this is *MY* opinion, I would take the next couple of weeks (to 6 weeks post op) and take it really easy. I wouldn't take the chance on lifting anything and pushing myself. At 5 weeks I went grocery shopping (didn't lift, push the cart... only pointed out what we needed to my obedient servants) and I was EXHAUSTED when we got home! Went down for a 4 hour nap!!

YOU know how YOU feel, honey. Don't push yourself. As for sex, I waited a while longer than even the 8 weeks because I was afraid something might pull or a stitch might come out. Let's face it. I was scared. It all turned out A-Okay though.

Listen to your instinct and your body. They will let you know when the timing is right.

*HUGGLES*
Unread 01-10-2005, 09:26 PM

Hi,

I was released for everything after my TAH at my four week appointment (which was actually at 3 1/2 weeks.) However, I felt that my doctor was a bit hasty saying I could return to normal activities, because at that point, I was just starting to drive short distances myself, and still had some pain when sitting long periods of time. Of course, my doctor was a guy who had never had this surgery, so how could he possibly know what I was and was not capable of!

So I continued to take it easy, adding activities back slowly, and listening to my body. It was 5 1/2 weeks before I went back to work part-time, and 8 weeks before I finally felt totally normal again.

Remember my motto - just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Do what you feel comfortable with and listen to your body. It will tell you when enough is enough.

s,

Lisa
Unread 01-10-2005, 09:41 PM

my doctor before surgery said that recovery would take 6 weeks and really to feel much better would take 6 months. I think 2 things of this. One is that as with any surgery, it does take time to heal and recover. Also, my anemia was so bad and the blood reserves take time to get to where they are supposed to be. All of this being said, I think you are the best judge of what you feel like doing and what you are comfortable with. Listen to your body and if it feels bad, stop and try again another day. It is sad that it takes weeks and months to build up stamina yet in one day you can lose it....
Unread 01-10-2005, 10:08 PM

Andi, I'm 6 weeks post-op, and while I certainly don't feel 100%, I expected my doctor to release me for everything. Instead, my doc told me told me to wait another 2 weeks before I return to work! I will need them to increase my stamina; no way could I work a full day at a stressful job, and I'm glad she could see that! Thankfully I have disability insurance, so I odn't have to worry about lack of income.

And as for duties at home, as far as I'm concerned, the additional two weeks of disability apply to EVERYTHING. I'm going to continue to pamper the princess--when else will we ever have the opportunity? I say take as much time as YOU feel you need for responsibilities at work (if you can afford it) and at home. And don't tell those around you what your doctor said! (He/she obviously didn't hear or dismissed your self-evaluation--if you don't feel up to it, DON'T DO IT! And even if you do, I'd still wait until at least 6 weeks...!)

Good luck with the rest of your recovery!
Unread 01-11-2005, 03:55 AM

Hi Andi

When I had my staples removed at less than a week post-op, my dr. told me that I could resume driving in 2 more weeks (at the three week point) and resume sex and all other activiities the following week (4 weeks post-op). Not only that, he said I could take baths whenever I wanted!

Well, common sense told me not to have a tub bath til I was sure the vaginal cuff had healed properly. I won't know that til my 6 wk checkup when he examines it! I don't want to get dirty bathwater up there and cause an infection or irritation.

Thursday will be my 4 week mark, and I still have not driven. I could if I wanted to, but have not needed to, and I know that when driving you use your abdominal muscles more than you realize. I am still sore and get stabbing pains when I twist around, etc.

As for sex, dh and I decided to wait til the 6 week checkup to be safe.

I agree with the others. You know how you feel. Listen to your body and do things according to your own personal timetable.

Take care,

Rosalie
Unread 01-11-2005, 06:53 AM

Hi there
I was released @ 3 1/2 wks. as I had a Lap. Hyster. but as far as sex..It was one week later as my vaginal cuff wasn't healed..But things seem fine and dandy! So I guess you aren't alone with being released before 6 wks.....but you did say you had a TAH right?? well every DR is different..................good luck to you!!!
Unread 01-11-2005, 07:43 AM

Hi
wow..it does sound kind of soon to be released. I was told i could drive after 3 weeks, (though sitting in the car for long periods was still very painful) and given the good to go at 6 weeks for everything else from my doctor...but i sure didn't feel all that good.
I think as far as heavy lifting goes, you really shouldn't. Like the other ladies say, listen to your body and try to take it easy as much as possible. I remember it seemed to take me a couple of months to feel better in the belly area and a couple more to feel fairly well healed and get my energy back. I'm coming up on a year since my surgery and time did role right along...and i know now i feel better than i have in years
Just remember to take it real easy on yourself the first couple of months so you can heal up right
Take care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register