Regret Having Hyster? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Regret Having Hyster? Regret Having Hyster?

Unread 01-11-2005, 07:31 AM
Regret Having Hyster?

Just wondered how many of us might regret having gone through with the hysterectomy. Sure, we all had some issues to deal with, some worse than others. But, some of us could have dealt a while longer until menopause maybe.

Sometimes, I have regrets that I went thru with the surgery. Although my surgery was in August 2004, I still have some discomfort during sex, a little more discomfort than I had before surgery.

Does anyone else have these feelings or thoughts?

BTW, I am using Vivelle Dot, Vagifem and Testosterone cream and for the most part feel good most of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2005, 07:39 AM
Regret Having Hyster?

My hyst was due to suspected cancer, and I can honestly say no-I do not regret having the Hyst. The positive way outnumber the negatives. I do not have cancer anymore, thats the biggest positive. Its easy to have those feelings though, as you start to feel better and then have a day or two that you feel like crap, you wonder if it would be different without the hyst. Dont let the Bad days get you down, this is a long journey, and we can make it to the end with a good attitude, and ALOT of hard work and patience.
hugs to you
snickers
Unread 01-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Regret Having Hyster?

Even though I have had many problems and surgeries because of the hyst, I certainly do not regret it. I was in a lot of pain, lots of bleeding and pain during sex anyway. One thing that I have gotten that was positive from my hyst was my attitude and how I have changed my life for the better.
One thing that many sisters have heard me reinterate is during that recovery time, you should utilize it to change things in your life and reevaluate your priorities...that time should not go wasted. I am sure that there are plenty of things that people can change for the better overall. One thing is that I found out who really cares about me and who doesn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Regret Having Hyster?

At first I REALLY regretted it, because I had so many "rare" complications that resulted in 2 additional surgeries and 12 weeks off of work. Each day that I get further out from my last surgery (see below for the details) without further complications, I breath a sigh of relief. I'm hoping that if I make it to the one year without any more surgeries, I'll be ok with it.

Clem
Unread 01-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Regret Having Hyster?

Sometimes I wonder too about my surgery. I did not have as much pain or problems as many of you.... I often wonder if I should have done something different... Although my doc tried for three years to figure why I had abnormal periods and I had precancerous cells on my cervix 5 years ago so I suppose it was best to do the surgery.. Sometimes people say well do you feel like a new woman? no not really. sex is still somewhat painful too... i am only 8 weeks post op ..too soon i guess....
Unread 01-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Regret Having Hyster?

there was no way that i could have lasted another 6 months! i was at the end of my rope with the pain and bleeding. i had already waited out about 3 years with alternatives. 1 year or 5 years to menapause wasn't do-able.

jane321
Unread 01-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Regret Having Hyster?

What I regret is the incredible discomfort and helplessness I felt during recovery. What I regret is the head trip I got courtesy of the surgery. All that preop worry that turned me into an incredible shrew. What I regret is the whineyness that cropped up as I recovered. What I regret are the times my discomfort made me unpleasant to be around. What I regret is the fact that I had to suffer at all after the surgery because I suffered majorly before it with the painful ridiculously bulky bloated periods.

(I am letting it rip here- but it has to come out)

I regret the mind trips regarding my sexuality. And sometimes, I regretted being born a woman because men seem to get off so lucky.

But as to the benefits of this surgery. OMIGOSH Words cannot express how wonderful it is NOT TO HAVE PERIODS EVER EVER EVER AGAIN! How can I ever regret not being ruled by my uterus anymore? I wish I had done the surgery EARLIER in spite of the irritations associated with it. I just wish they had some scientific medical discovery that corrected fibroid tumors without taking your uterus out or burning holes into it! I wish the recovery process wasn't so long! It's like we need a new manual for our bodies because the old one is now defunct.

I will never forget this experience. The good the bad or the ugly. It has been a walk of fire. It sure upped the ante on the whole woman experience. I am grateful for this forum to vent, share and learn. Hystersisters - I do not regret. Thank God for this and you all!
Unread 01-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Regret Having Hyster?

This is a good question.
I'm only 39, so I couldn't have waited until menopause with my condition. I had been on birth control pills for 3 years, and they were no longer effective. My iron count was getting lower with each period I had. Sex was painful, my bladder was shot, and my only alternative was a hysterectomy.
It's hard for us to imagine while we're healing, but every woman I've spoken to who has had one says that their quality of life is vastly improved. Even the ones who have had complications with their recovery or needed additional surgeries.
So, no... I don't regret it! Hopefully, when all is said and done, you won't either.

Happy healing!
Unread 01-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Regret Having Hyster?

Yes, at this point I regret it.

I went in with NO PAIN. Had SAH; kept ovaries.

I had the hyst because of a cyst that looked complex but ended up being simple, and 1 - 2 days of heavy bleeding during my period. To me the bleeding wasn't really much of an issue. I could have dealt with it for a few more years. I was starting to go through menopause anyway. (I told my doc that I thought I was, but she didn't believe until after surgery!) The cyst was my concern.

Now I have intense pain every time I urinate! It feels like someone is sticking a skewer up my vagina and poking my bladder. I'm now facing the possibility of more surgery because of a problem with having the cath!!!!!!!

People were scaring me that the cyst was cancer and said that I was insane not to have it removed immediately! There was no way of telling until if it was cancer until it was removed and biopsied.

I feel in the end, my surgery was unnecessary.

I went in feeling great and now I'm in terrible pain whenever I urinate.

I'm calling my uro today. Wish me luck!

God Bless
Joanne
Unread 01-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Regret Having Hyster?

I seem to have traded one set of problems, (fibroids, anemia, constant bladder pressure and uti's, painful sex, etc) for a whole new set of problems and I'm not sure which are worse!

I am 5 months PO. I have mini-periods that have now turned into a 3 week stretch of continuous bleeding. I had 6 uti's in the first three months PO and have now been on antibiotics since then and will be 2 more months before trying life without them. It still hurts to pee. I have developed vulvodynia which is a constant pain, inflammation of my vulva area. Sex is SO painful that for two days afterwards I cannot even wear underwear because it hurts SO bad. In the a.m. if my dh rolls over and puts his arm around me, I get out of bed for fear he'll want sex. He's trying to understand, he just doesn't get it. The more I try to avoid it/him the worse I feel.

Before my surgery I had to self-cath 3 times a day becuase the fibroids wouldn't let me empty my bladder. I couldn't have sex without lots of pain, I could barely ride a bike because of the pressure, my cycles were short, like 19 days so for 2 days every one of those I was basically house bound.

I don't know. It's still a toss up. My gyn is going to see me next week and try to figure out something to do to stop this bleeding. The other a.m. I wanted to go swimming and was bleeding too much so I was searching all my old purses for a tampon. You just don't think that will happen AFTER a hysterectomy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register