Preparation for surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Preparation for surgery Preparation for surgery

Unread 01-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Preparation for surgery

Hi there,

I went to my pre-op yesterday. The doctor said I could take a fleet soda preparation the night before to pre-pare for my LAVH, cystecyle and rectocyle, but he didn't give me directions. I want to do this because I am really frightened of having a bowel movement after and don't want to have to get rid of much.
I have to be at the Castle at 6:00 am and surgery at 7:30.
I have done this once before for a colonoscopy, but don't want residue or leakage as I am laying waiting for the surgery the instructions I found below call for taking the first dose at 2:00 PM and last at 7:00 PM. I am thinking I should start at 10:00 am and then take it around 4:00 or 5:00, so I can sleep and ensure I am fully clean out. I have the instructions I found on the internet for a colonoscopy, but wonder if there are other out there who had the same surgery, did the prep and could share their directions with me?

Here is what I found:
Colonoscopy - Fleet Phospo-Soda 2 day preparation

Purchase the laxative from any drugstore: Fleet phospho-soda 3oz.; buy 1-3oz. bottle or 2-1˝ oz. bottles. Please note Fleet makes many different products. Make sure you purchase the phospho-soda laxative and not their enemas or any other product.

2 days before colonscopy
Consume clear liquids all day (see menu sheet). Do not drink milk or red colored liquids as this can interfere with the test. Medicines should be taken on your regular schedule except for those mentioned above.
1 day before colonscopy
Consume clear liquids only. Medicines should be taken on your regular schedule, except those already mentioned above.

If your procedure time is at or before 12:00 midday:
Please drink the first dose of Fleet phospho-soda at 2pm by adding 1˝ oz. of Fleet phospho-soda to ˝ glass (4 oz.) of cool water and drink. Follow with 6 glasses (8 oz. each) of clear liquid within an hour of taking the Fleet phospho-soda. Take the second dose at 7pm by mixing 1˝ oz. of Fleet phospho soda to ˝ glass (4 oz.) of cool water. Now follow instructions on DAY OF COLONOSCOPY.

I would really appreciate your inputotion: otion:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Preparation for surgery

Hi,

I have my surgery Thursday morning at 7:30 am and just had my pre-op appointment with the doctor. They gave me written instructions:

Clear liquid one full day prior to surgery.

Nothing by mouth (including liquids) after midnight day of surgery.

Fleet Phospho-Soda prep: Day prior to surgery follow directions on bottle of fleet 1 1/2 ounces each time. Dring one at 2:30 and agin at 4:30. Only if stool is still present, repeat with third bottle at 8:30.

My Doctor said most people do not need the third treatment, only do it if the "results" from the second dose don't turn to just the clear liquids. If the reslult is clear, don't use the third as it will just really dehydrate you prior and make the IV that much harder the day of. That should give you time to "recover" from the effects somewhat. It's just really important, in my case anyway to have the bowel clear as they are moving it during the surgery to sample lympth nodes.

Also drinking gatorade or peadialite or other electorlite drinks will help!

Hope this helps!
Unread 01-12-2005, 12:52 AM
Preparation for surgery

Please call your dr and ask for YOUR doctor's input on what you should do.

Don't "not" do the third treatment based on what is valid for "most people" -- in surgery situations we are individuals and need to follow instructions that are specific to what OUR surgeon feels is best for OUR situation.

I would also check with the dr about gatoraid or any other such beverage.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register