Fatigue | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Fatigue

I know it's normal to be tired, but what is considered normal fatigue?

I get up in the mornings (sometimes not easily) and I'm able to get to about noon. By that time I can't see straight. It almost feels as if I don't lay down right that minute I will pass out.

The hot flashes. night sweats and crying are driving me nuts as well. I know my family thinks I'm cracking up.

3 weeks post op LAVH/Kept ovaries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Fatigue

I do not know what is "normal" but maybe comparing notes will be good for us. It's been three weeks for me too and there are days I have to get back to bed right after my morning shower. Other days I feel quite energetic, almost "normal".

One new thing that has happened to me is waking up in the middle of the night and have to change my PJ's because of too much sweat. Really strange, but I guess this has to do with post-surgery stuff. Like you, I still have my ovaries. Oh, well...
Unread 01-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Fatigue

At 3 weeks post op I was still taking two naps a day, one mid- morning and another in the afternoon. The fatigue will gradually improve. By 6 weeks I noticed a big change and at 8 weeks I was floored at how much energy I had. My doctor told me that it could take up to 6 months to get back my pre-surgery energy level, so maybe I'm just lucky!

Hang in there, it will get better!

By the way, kept my ovaries too, but so far no "power surges", or other problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Fatigue

I too have to change my PJ's often. I cannot believe the amount of sweating I'm doing.

Since this past Monday the fatigue has picked up a great deal. I find that I will get up because I've soaked through with sweat, change my clothes and go back to bed. I'm drinking a ton of water daily to try to keep up with the fluid loss.
Unread 01-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Fatigue

I've been drinking a lot too. Previously I thought the sweat was just a freaky thing and did not associate it to any post-surgery stuff. I kept blaming a possible nightmare that I could not remember having. But now that you've mentioned it, I'm thinking, "How could I have been so blind? Of course it has to do with hormonal madness!"
Unread 01-11-2005, 10:00 PM
Fatigue

They use to give me Morphine in the hospital. It would make me jerk awake constintly throughout the night. This would go on for days. Then when I could fall deep asleep I would have terrible nightmares. The last two surgeries I had, I made them give me Demerol. No problem. I'm glad I finally figured this out. Makes recovery a lot easier.
Unread 01-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Fatigue

HA NORMAL!!! I can't keep my eyes open some days (TODAY). I went for a walk to the mailbox and came back and took a 3 hour nap. After my shower I feel great BUT I am also tired. Everything is a chore. I feel like if I have a good day I need to store some of it up for the bad days. I had 2 really good days and I walked further and then I had 3 BAD days. Today was pretty good! I put on a skirt that was too tight prior to surgery and it fit nicely. So I felt better about that.
As for energy though - the source is depleted!
I am sweating some and I keep the air on freezing. My fiance comes in from work and says (EVERYDAY) aren't you cold. I say everyday NO - I have cover on. So I am curbing my sweats with air and cotton pjs.
I held my pee tonight (because I was watching the end of the Biggest Loser) and I thought I was going to die. Awful pain- SO DON'T DO THAT!!!!
Blizzak
Unread 01-12-2005, 03:59 AM
Fatigue

The 3 week fatigue!!

I was shocked that week. I couldn't believe how tired I was. Things were going in the right direction toward recovery for me until that week!! I thought I had done something wrong, but found out here that seems to be a 'normal'?? thing for this recovery. I spent 3 days just flat!! But this too shall pass!

That seemed to be the worst of it for me, the exhaustion that was just so overwhelming. I found if I did too much after that week it would sneak back in there a little, but nothing like that week..

hang in there- it gets better.
Unread 01-12-2005, 05:53 AM
Fatigue

"Normal".... such a relative term.

I have a fan pointed straight at me on high. My poor DH has extra covers, including a heated blanket. (we are in a Vermont winter). If I had it my way the window would be open all night.

I'm having the same issues with waking during the night. I too thought I was just having freaky dreams that I couldn't remember. My doctor blamed my lack of sleeping at night on taking naps during the day. It's not lack of being tired, I just wake up soaked in sweat and deep internal pain -- or I have to pee so bad it hurts (I agree, blizzak.. don't wait or you're liable to jump right off the toilet). I end up pacing the floors for hours on end begging for it all to stop.

I practically had to beg my dr to give me pain meds. I know he won't give me anymore. I have six left (I've stretched 15 pills more than a week now). I'm scared to death that I'll end up in so much pain that I will start dry heaving again from it, so I refuse to take them until it's almost too late.

I'm so happy that my DH found this site for me. I've learned more from you ladies than from my "healthcare provider" (the big jerk).
Unread 01-12-2005, 06:30 AM
Fatigue

Fatigue, my constant enemy.

At three weeks I went back to work, and the exhaustion was utterly overwhelming.

At nine weeks, I regret to tell you I still have a lot of fatigue. It is hard to get up in the morning, then I have some energy by about 10 or 11, which lasts until about 2-3 pm, when I "run out of energy" again. And when I run out, it feels just like someone pulled the energy out through a thread out of my body. Weird.

I am really really disappointed by this continuing fatigue. I did read somewhere that the fatigue can take an AVERAGE of 10-12 weeks to dissipate. So I am holding out hope for improvement in the next few weeks.

Cindy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register