Maternity Ward anyone??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Maternity Ward anyone??? Maternity Ward anyone???

Unread 01-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Maternity Ward anyone???

I've been thinking alot about my stay in the "CASTLE," and was wondering if any of you were put in the maternity ward. I had new moms in bolth rooms next to me, families coming up so happy, balloons, ect. All I heard all night were babies crying. It made me pretty upset!! Dont get me wrong I have two beautiful boys but that does not mean I did not want another child. My DH was very upset (See he has no children of his own, we share mine.) He told the nurses that they should move me to another area, but when he left they just shut my door, and put a note on it saying," LEAVE THIS DOOR SHUT!." Now what about those sisters that are unable to have a child, that would be horrible. Have any other sisters had to deal with this?? If so I think its something that should definately be brought up at the "CASTLE."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Maternity Ward anyone???

Brenna-
I was in a Women's Hospital BUT they put me on the floor with NO babies. The nurses told me that this floor was specifically for hysterectomy, post tramatic women (neo natal deaths or problems) etc. There were NO babies and I think I would have freaked if I would have heard one (childless). They need to do better than that considering some of our emotional fragile state.
UCKY HOSPITAL!!!
Are you in a small town?
Blizzak
Unread 01-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Maternity Ward anyone???

This for some unknown reason is not uncommon.
Sorry you had to deal with that. When I had mine it was a in different area of the same floor. When I did my mandatory walks I had to walk right past the NICU... I just could hardly stand it!! Just does not seem right.
Carrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Maternity Ward anyone???

I experienced the same thing. I was in a big hospital in a big city, and my recovery was in the maternity ward. When I initially checked in for my surgery, the area was full of guests with balloons and gifts for women who had just had their kids. I don't have any children nor did I want any, but I still thought the whole atmosphere was very surreal. I'm sure that others who may have actually wanted kids who had hysterectomies were probably very disturbed by their hospital stay there. I told one of the nurses that I thought it was extremely insensitive that hysterectomy patients were recovering in the midst of the maternity ward, and she concurred but it was all part of the general gynecological ward. One of my guests at the hospital was so outraged that she wrote a letter to the hospital.
Maternity Ward anyone???

My doctor put me on the maternity floor because he didn't want me on the general floor. He said there were a lot of sick and dying people up there. Also, since there are less people on that floor, I'd get better individual attention.

Yes, I heard the babies crying. I never had (or could I suspect) have children. Yes I've always wanted them. I just wasn't willing to marry just anyone to have a child. It was the right guy or no guy. I've listened to enough of my girlfriends!

Back to the Castle. They put me in the room farthest from everyone. I was across from the shower. Luckily, I didn't have a roommate so that was great. I was worried about having a baby in the room, happy families,... like you said.

The only thing that really upset me was my last day there. This stupid tech came in to get a sample of my blood. As she was turning on the light she said, "Where's the baby?" in a cute voice. I was confused. I knew I had a hysterectomy, but I still looked around my bed for a basinette. When I told her I had a hyster, it was like it didn't even register with her. I told a nurse and my Gyno and they weren't happy. Well, join the group!

Other than that (and a cranky nun) my experience in the hospital was good. Not having a roommate was restful. I could watch TV when I wanted, talk to the nurses, etc. and not worry about disturbing anyone. I really lucked out.
Unread 01-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Maternity Ward anyone???

I'd much rather be on the labor and delivery wing of the hospital rather than the surgical wing. I was put in the surgical wing and had to listen to my roomie vomit all night topped off with patients screaming in pain. I'd much rather hear a new baby cry any day than to endure the above.

Also, I received better nursing care when I had my babies and was in the L&D wing.

MissDaisy
Unread 01-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Maternity Ward anyone???

I too have no children of my own and was put in the maternity area of the hospital. I ask about it when I arrived in my room and they ask if it bothered me. I said no (as it didn't bother me it just seemed weird) and the nurse proceeded to tell me that the type of care I needed was best treated by these nurses and doctors. My first nurse was wonderful. She told me at the same time she explained why I was on that floor that she had the same proceedure I had a year ago and knew exactly how I felt and what I would need. She was right. She knew what I wanted before I asked. I suppose if I hadn't had the time to resolve those feelings before I went in to the hospital I would have had a hard time with it. I also think that it helped I had a private room. I might be singing a different tune if there was a newborn in my room all the time.
Unread 01-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Maternity Ward anyone???

I, too, had a private room with my own bathroom, but I still had to walk around the ward. I think that the whole maternity ward atmosphere is an extremely weird place for those who have just gone through hysterectomies.
Unread 01-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Maternity Ward anyone???

I only walked a little bit down the hall. I didn't want to walk too far down... you know why. After the catheter was out, I did A LOT of walking from my bed (my the window) to the bathroom on the far side of the other bed. I really hot footed it a couple of times!
Unread 01-12-2005, 12:52 AM
Maternity Ward anyone???

At the hospital I was at they have a "womans center wing" I was on the 7th floor and the maternity ward is on the 3rd floor...my roommate also had a hyst...even though I have my girls (4 of them) I would of hated to be hearing babies crying, not that I wanted any more (had my tubes tied over 5 yrs ago) but like someone said earlier in the posts...its knowing that there is no surgery to "undo" this one, and that is it FINAL

:dragon:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register