Motorcycle owners - how long before you fired up your bike again? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Motorcycle owners - how long before you fired up your bike again? Motorcycle owners - how long before you fired up your bike again?

Unread 01-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Motorcycle owners - how long before you fired up your bike again?

I am in my 5th week post LAVH at age 38, and feel I'm not ready yet to ride my bike. However, I'm wondering how long it took for other motorcycle riders to get back on their bikes again?

I own a copper Suzuki V650S and am looking forward to the day I can get back to riding. I will ask my doctor about this issue at my next appointment, but I was hoping to hear some personal stories from fellow princesses.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2005, 11:30 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Especially since today was in the high 50's and low 60's. I have a dyna low rider (harley) and I suspect it will be some time before I can even upright it again. At this point I can't even pull open the bathroom door in a restaurant. I feel like I am on candid camera or something....I stand in there until someone else comes in then I dash out the open door. I go to the doc this Friday and am going to ask then and will let you know what she says. Please let me know what yours says too. Here's too keeping the rubber on the bottom side asap!!!!
Unread 01-11-2005, 11:40 PM

quest4info: yeah, today was the first day in So. Calif. where we've had non-rainy weather in a LONG time and it made me think of getting on my bike! Will let you know what my dr. says at my next appointment. Best wishes to you for a speedy, uneventful recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2005, 03:11 AM

I only go pillion and I was told 8 wks :cry: (Triumph T-Bird) and I certainly can't hold that bike at the moment, if my DH needed me to.

If you have a big bike what would you do if it fell over or you droppped it? How would you pick it up?

We have a lifting restriction, and at 5 wks I couldn't manage to pick my leathers up (due to all the armour my DH insists I wear)
When I tried to put my leathers on this week I found the zips pushed against my tummy in a most uncormfortable way.

I did a search and found some post from 2002 and most of the ladies then, were waiting untill the 6 to 8 wk mark.

So give yourself a bit more time to heal and then you can hit the road

(weather is too bad for motorbikes in UK so not too worried)
Unread 01-12-2005, 06:19 AM

Hello Fellow Bike Riders/Owners
I am 3 months out and still dont relish the idea of having to climb on the back of hubbys bike yet, however it is -40 here this morning!!

I will put it this way, we moved his bike into the back yard TOGETHER in November, and I was unable to help him. It is a Sporty, so heavy. He had to call a friend to help him....

I am sorry to say this but I wouldnt be pushing it at 6-8 weeks JUST IN CASE!! I would wait until about 3 months, and then see how it is to lift.....I know how heavy them suckers are.....

Hugs
Kat
Unread 01-12-2005, 02:00 PM

It's in the high 60's today and the urge to hop on my bike is very strong. (I'm not of course, but I would love to!) My bike is a Honda 750, which even before my TVH I wouldn't have been able to pick up from a tip over by myself. While riding, the main thing is balance, and I use my legs a lot. My biggest complaint after my TVH was I felt like I had a groin pull, so I wouldn't be able to hold her up real well just yet.

Even though I feel good, I'm planning to wait until I have my six week checkup to ask my Doc what she thinks, but it's so nice to know that I'm not the only one with this question!!
Unread 01-13-2005, 12:08 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies! Don't worry, I'm not about to get on my bike anytime in the near future - still have to get my doctor's clearance for that, and I'm sure I still have a few weeks to wait due to the weight factor, etc. But I'm still curious to hear from more long-time biker princesses and what their experiences have been.
Unread 01-14-2005, 04:26 AM

I got back on my bike towards the end of week 5 - surprisingly riding the bike was easier than driving the car, & the bike is quite balanced... I also have a sportsbike, so that may have been why it was easier.
Unread 01-14-2005, 06:57 AM
Kaw 600ZX

I had a LAVH and rode after 6 weeks. I took it slow cause the bouncing around was a little uncomfortable. After another week, things were fine.
Unread 01-14-2005, 07:50 AM

Arghhh! You're making me crazy!! I missed some of the best weather of the season after my surgery, and it was looking good to actually take old blue to my 6 week checkup back in December (Intruder VS800)...and the weather turned sour, and now she's packed up for the winter. I've been feeding my "habit" by watching all of the motorcycle programming (2-wheel Tuesday, American Chopper, etc.) and going crazy waiting for spring! We had a motorcycle expo here last weekend, and got an inch of freezing rain and didn't make it. So now not only can I not bike, the skiing stinks too! I am going stir crazy! Man, I HATE New England winters!

Hey, did anyone see the "Motorcycle Girl" special the other night on TLC? What a B-I-Sitchy woman. I have to admit I was envious of the racing, though. If I was twenty years younger....sigh.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register