An apology and an update - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

An apology and an update An apology and an update

Unread 01-27-2005, 01:00 AM
Thanks and another apology...

...for delaying so long in replies! My day to day activities leave me not much time for much typing/writing. I wrote that previous post in a very low point; although I am feeling a bit better, I still find myself choosing sleep rather than sitting at the computer (it's somewhat painful for my neck and arm to sit at the computer for long).

Your wishes and thoughts meant a lot to me, especially as so many of you are dealing with so many similar issues. (((Pasdechat))), and (((Sheri))), I know you both deal with many of the same GI issues (Pasdechat, I did see your post as well -- any news for you?). (((Michelle))), I did spend the weekend with my brother's GF -- a former marathon runner, she now has reflex sympathetic dystrophy from a foot injury, so she does really relate to the chronic pain thing! If her office weren't so far away, I'd consider her; with her permission, I probably will undertake the drive just for treatment. Can't hurt, especially since there are lower back issues as well. You're sure right about the "over-thinking." It's a nasty habit, particularly since I'm a medical person anyway. I always tend to think I know my own options better than anyone else. The truth is somewhere in between -- there aren't too many surgeons eager to rush into anything with me !

(((Dany))), I know you can relate to the ill-defined auto-immune problems. We've had a lot of rain around here, which of course aggravates any arthritic issue. (((Locki, Jean, Emily))), your ers are always welcome! And (((Dawn))), good to hear from an "old-timer" -- how are you doing?

Those of you who have had intermittent bowel obstructions, how do you deal with them? Mine appear to be in the large intestine. In fact, my small bowel series, which we thought would take the full three to six hours, took only 15 minutes for the barium (some of which hung up in my esophagus for quite a while) to go through the entire small intestine! I've had some weird electrolyte imbalances lately, and now it may be that my "transit" is too rapid, rather than too slow. However, once everything hits the large intestine, the motility there is very delayed.

My doctor wants me to try Zelnorm. Although I am reluctant to (it's an SSRI, and I'm already on one; and, you can only take it for a limited amount of time, which doesn't help permanently) I might anyway. After all, if it works, it proves that there's a problem with the nerves feeding the large intestine. However, the GI doctor feels that a big part of the problem is the chronic severe gastritis, so I have an upper endoscopy coming in a couple of weeks. I'm not in a hurry for the barium enema, or whatever it might take to prove whether it's an enterocele or obstruction, or what else might be going on.

All of you who've gone through multiple testing, isn't it frustrating?? I just wish they would do everything in one or two days, rather than spread out the unpleasantness over weeks or months. It's not an insurance issue, just the amount of time it seems to take just to work out all the details and convince the doctor to actually LOOK rather than see what they want to see.

Then, too, I have days that I'm just fine; I've not lost a lot of weight, since there are days when I can eat normally (portion control is still an issue; my mind wants to eat far more than my stomach will allow, which is good for weight control). It's really easy to talk myself out of doing all this stuff and seeing all the doctors. Sometimes I just think that it's all in my head, hanging out on the Road too long (lol). But then I have a day of severe pain and nausea, or chest/stomach pain, or arrhythmia due to the electrolyte problems, and I'm reminded that things are just NOT normal. Don't know just yet how far I'm willing to go to resolve things, though -- most days, I just believe it's better to resign myself to this and be grateful that pain control is mostly OK. After all, I don't deal with near the pain many of you do -- or maybe it's just that I've honestly grown used to being in pain, so that's just "normal."

Well, again I'm rambling, and should really be in bed. I don't get "on" much these days; I've had a couple of knitting commissions I'm working on and of course there's the two jobs and just...well...LIFE. I know you all know what that's like!

Big s to you all. You've always been there for me...and it truly means more than you could know.

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2005, 09:28 AM
An apology and an update

Hey ((Audrey))..
Yes, I can totally relate to the multiple testing..sigh..I have drank soo much barium in the past 5 yrs, I cant even stand the look or thought of it.
I have suffered with ongoing partial obstructions. It has actually been a few months since I have experienced one! I have found ways to cope with mine and to help relieve them. I now can recognize them coming on. Before, I would be doubled over in severe pain trying to walk them off Now, when I start to notice the signs/symptoms...what has really helped me is to start walking along with drinking lots of water < I have added more water to my diet along with avoiding certain foods> and have found these little things to make a huge difference.

As for the zelnorm, my Drs have never mentioned it, neither have I to them. The commercials & ads I have seen, all say to not use if you have Abdominal adhesions or have experience Bowel Obstructions...perhaps you should discuss that issue with your Dr to see why it is contradicted for use in these patients

I'm so sorry things have not improved for you, my friend I do hope you can soon find some relief to all this...
Please keep us posted on how things are going...(((hugs)))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register