at 1 week recovery from TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

at 1 week recovery from TAH at 1 week recovery from TAH

Unread 01-12-2005, 09:09 AM
at 1 week recovery from TAH

I am new here. Signed up b4 my surgery and mostly read to gain info. I had a 2-level spinal fusion back in Aug of 2003, so I figured this surgery couldn't be worse. Haha. now I'm not saying the back surgery was easy, it took me a full year to recover and I still have problems that cannot be addressed till I recover from this one. ( Yes I am falling apart at 37!! lol) Anyway. I am just wiped. My tummy is swelly (I'm 115 pounds and used to love my nice flat one) and has a huge gash across most of it. I am in Pain!! It hurts to breathe hard!! I did not realize I would be laid up so long. What a dummy. I figured with my high tolerance of pain (live with it every day from back and belly) I would be relatively OK. I cannot do anything!. Now I have 3 kids and hubby has own business and works just about all the time. So I am your "supermom" type who does basically everything. Also I am bored out of my mind. I live in New Hampshire and we have a lot of snow on the ground. I am sick of TV and sick of my 4 year old for company ( noone to drive her to pre-school and pick her up) and about to lose my mind. This is the first time I have ventured "downstairs" to use my PC. I received lots of helpful emails from this site. I figured most of you have already been through it. I have my mom (TAH at 40) and MIL ( TAH after 2nd child) SO they know what I'm going through. Kids and hubby , eh another story. They are so used to me doing everything they just expect me to be OK. HAH. I feel like poo. I just needed to vent and hopefully get some ideas for not losing what's left of my mind. Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2005, 09:19 AM

Hi, I also had my surgery on Jan 5th (TAH/BSO), I've had two previous C-sections (1975 & 1978). I'm 50, fortunately living alone. I was released from the castle on Friday, driven home by my mom (TAH 24 yrs ago) and that evening my DD's came and stayed the weekend with me. Needless to say they wanted to do everything for me and I needed to do some things by myself. It was so peaceful come Sunday evening when they left. My recovery has been very good but I only have myself to take care of. I wish you well and remember for now you come first. Take Care.

Rosie
Unread 01-12-2005, 09:25 AM

I'm 2 weeks out, 37, 3 kids, used to being "Super" Mom. This time last week, I couldn't hold my head up. My daughter had to go to the doctor and I nearly panicked because I didn't know who would take her. I took an hour and a half nap, took her to the doctor, told the doctor to hurry up because I was sooo tired and managed to make it home.

This week has been my turn around week. I feel almost normal. Still get pains if I cough standing straight up - I have to lean at the waist - but everything else is coming along nicely. The swelling has gone down and my energy level has risen. The antibiotic they put me on, which I finished at the end of last week, I think contributed to my being so tired. It made me extremely nauseous. Instead of fighting it, I wanted to sleep.

Hang in there! All of the stuff not getting done, laundry, cleaning, groceries, etc. will still be there when you're feeling better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2005, 09:27 AM
I am 8 days post-op

Hey there, Bikerchic67...

We are about the same distance out from our surgeries, but you sound like you're having a more difficult time of it. Did they give you any pain meds? I have Vicodin, which I'm finding I only need to take at night, and a super ibuprofen I take every 6-8 hours or so. It doesn't sound like I'm in as much pain as you, though. The doctor said everything went very smoothly during surgery, so maybe that is the difference. I have about 10 inch incision on my abdomen which hurts when I sneeze or laugh, and there is some pain just below my belly-button internally. That's about it. It sounds like maybe you're doing too much. My mom and dad came to stay with me (so far 10 days) and they are doing all the shopping, cooking, laundry and even some of the kid wrangling. I'm sitting in the recliner with my laptop handy. Do you have anyone that can help you so you can rest more and heal quicker? I'll send a prayer your way. since I can't send my parents!!
Unread 01-12-2005, 10:20 AM

Yes I have pain meds, percs actually. But you see, I have been on and off pain meds for so long with my back and hip probs (vicoden b4 surgery) that I am kind of immune to pain meds. They help with pain by making it a dull roar , but it is still there. I also have some hipand leg problems to deal with. Both my ortho and my pain clinic doc said they wouldn't do anything till I recover from this. So I suffer lol. Nothing I'm not used to. I have not done much of anything since I have been home. I have been unable to. I am mostly just bored. I know the pain will diminish. I just wish it would go away faster is all. Thanks to all who have replied and good luck and prayers to all who are experiencing the same things.
Unread 01-12-2005, 12:29 PM

I understand what you are saying. Everyone that has not had a TAH thinks that you can just bounce back. I had one friend say that all I really had was that same surgery as a c-section. That is so not true. There is so much going on in there and you do feel like POO!! I am 3 1/2 weeks out and each day it gets better. hang in there, this too shall pass!! Gook Luck.
Unread 01-12-2005, 12:35 PM

Ah the supermom syndrome...I know it too well, like when I had my daughter, my mother would come over so I could nap, but I felt guilty if I did, she finally got really ticked off at me and made me...LOL (yes I am 38 and still scared of my mom )
However, with my hyst, I knew better, I didn't even try..LOL
You said your mom and MIL both have had hysts, can they come over and babysit your 4yr old for you? Maybe even keep him a few days so you can get some well deserved rest, cause I know you are not getting it with a 4yr old at home all the time! If you find yourself getting bored, why not start a hobby you have always wanted to do, now is the perfect time. Start a journal...I have even started to write a childrens book about my dogs..LOL...it *****, but it keeps my mind working!
Get grandma to get the baby for a few days, rent some DVD;s that you have always wanted to see, order a pizza and just relax and sleep and relax some more!
You also need to look at the top of this page and click on CHECKPOINTS...this gives you a guideline of do's and don'ts depending on how far out you are---you might even want to post it on the fridge so DH and anyone else around can take a look at it. You should not be doing anything at 1 week but sleeping, short walks around the house, drinking lots of water and resting some more...that is it!
Unread 01-12-2005, 01:34 PM

:hair: Hey, feel like pulling out your hair? I know the feeling. I had my surgery two weeks ago yesterday. I thought that I was doing wonderful until I actually started "doing". I get tired pretty easy. I have a good day and then a bad day. I have been having some kind of weird sensations from time to time like a belly spasm. Who knows what that could be?

I am a wife and mother of two. A 13 year old (yes, I feel like pulling my hair out) and a 9 year old. They have been pretty understanding but now that I am up and about that think that I am back to normal. Well, as you all know, I am not.

I had a strange, gross thing happen to me yesterday. When I wiped, two long strands came out. It looked like worms!! I know, it is disgusting! They were about 3 inches long. It was some of my stitches. I called to make sure it was okay and they said it was as long as I wasn't bleeding. That was not a fun experience.

I hope that you start to feel better very soon. It is very frustrating just sitting around and feeling bad. I will be keeping you in my prayers. I hope that well wishes helps you some.

Cindy
Unread 01-12-2005, 02:07 PM

Hi! I had my surgery on 1/6/05 so I'm about the same as you! I had two previous C-sections but I would say that this was worse. I didn't know that the gas pains would be the killer!!!!! I had my staples out today and the doctor said I'm doing great. Said I was getting around better than a patient they saw this morning that had surgery 5 weeks ago. Just goes to show that everyone is different. So just rest....Can anyone take care of your 4 yr old so you can get extra rest?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register