SAH/BSO - 6 weeks post op, doing well, some tips | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

SAH/BSO - 6 weeks post op, doing well, some tips SAH/BSO - 6 weeks post op, doing well, some tips

Unread 01-12-2005, 09:49 AM
6 weeks post op, doing well, some tips

I had my subtotal abdominal hysterectomy on 11/30. Both my ovaries were removed. I am now on HRT, since 2 weeks post-op.

I was six week post-op yesterday. The first few days in the hospital were rough because of not only the pain, but the discomfort trying to get up and about. I was in the hospital for 3 days. One extra day was due a low grade fever. I was able to have a BM on day #3 with the help of a suppository. I fortunately haven’t had any constipation problems since surgery. However, the gas pains were bad the first 2 weeks and I had the most pain just before a BM in the first 2 weeks that was worse than any pain during my whole recovery. The incision pain isn’t so bad as the internal belly pain. My belly is still sore and tender though it gets better every day.

Pain medications – I took my own Motrin in the hospital. They did give me Percocets a few times in the hospital but mostly I took my own Motrin because the nursing staff was awful to deal with. I was so thankful I brought my own. My doctor prescribed 50 Percocets after my release from the hospital. I took all of them the first 2.5 weeks post-op. The first two weeks home I took 2 Motrin with my 2 Percs. That helped mostly. I did not take medication in the middle of the night and was able to sleep through the night almost every night. It was just difficult getting up and off the sofa or out of bed. That got better and rolling out of bed to a chair set next to me helped greatly. At 3 weeks post-op, I called for a refill on the Percs for an 8 hour road trip for Christmas. I could not have taken that road trip without being on Percs every 4 hours!

I did have lots of nausea the day of surgery from the PCA pump. I stopped using it because of that. They had given me 3 doses of anti-nausea meds. To me, it wasn’t worth the fear of vomiting (with an incision!) so I stopped hitting the pump the night after my surgery.

My belly swelled a lot at midday into the evening. I wore lounge pants mostly, cotton with drawstring pants. I lost a few pounds and at week 2 I was able to wear some low-rise jeans. I could only wear them for an hour or 2 like when my friend came to take me to lunch. My belly still swells but only at night and not every night. It gets better day by day.

I came back to work 2 days ago. I have a desk job so it is not so bad. The first day was fine at 8 hours work. The second day was 7 hours and I got very tired. Today is okay but I’m sort of tired again like I need a nap. I am wearing lose clothing because my belly gets so sore from things rubbing on it. I’m on lifting restrictions from my doctor.

Sex has been attempted and was successful!! Ha. It was a little painful the next day, but not too bad. I think I was sore mostly because it had been a while since we had intercourse. We did have “outercourse” at 3 weeks post-op. It was actually very nice.

I’m on HRT since 2 weeks post-op. It took about 10 days to get relief. The hotflashes were moderate but are now under control. I haven’t had one since last Friday, after putting on my 3rd patch. I stopped taking my herbal supplement (cohosh) since it wasn’t doing any good. The moodiness the first 2 weeks was, how shall I say, nightmarish. I’lll not go without HRT!! I felt my life was over and felt very regretful over the surgery until I got on the HRT!

I do not regret the surgery and my energy levels are back to normal. I would suggest and recommend the following:

Do not take guff, crap or grief from the nursing staff. YOU are the client/customer!

Take it easy the first few weeks but do walk a little every day. I did walk around and do a little more than I should have but I feel it helped me get my energy level back. I refused to lay on the couch day after day. I had to do little things like dishes for a few minutes to get back into the swing of things.

Take your medications as needed. You need them to recover.

Get the answers and information you need from your doctor. Press him/her for the info you need, be it on the telephone or at your appointments.

Read up and educate yourself on all there is to know about your surgery, HRT, vitamins, good health, etc.

Listen to your body. If you feel twinges of pain, take it easy – sit or lay down and watch TV or take a nap.

Keep a plain old chair next to you on the sofa or in bed to roll out onto to get up.

A friend from this website recommended to me the following: keep all your meds, vitamins, etc., in a basket. Take it upstairs or downstairs wherever you will be. I also kept a note on the counter reminding what time I took what medications. I was afraid I’d take too much!

I hope this post helps those that are preparing for surgery. You can email me if you have any questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register