Scar Creams? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Scar Creams?

Have any of you tried Mederma or another cream for your scar?
Did it work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Scar Creams?

I didn't use a scar cream because the thought of rubbing it on my scar gave me the heebie geebies, but I did use Neosporin Scar Pads. I wasn't sure at first if I saw a difference, but I realize now that it really did make a huge difference. The part that I covered looks much better than the lower area where I didn't place the pads.

I've heard Mederma works well, just remember all these products are pricey and really only help minimize raised or red scars, they don't make them disappear.

Mary Ellen
Unread 01-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Scar Creams?

My doctor suggested Vitamin E cream. DH went to buy some for me but came home with lotion that has Vitamin E, along with other things. I don't think its what the doctor meant but I was so grateful that he got it for me and I use it twice a day. Does anyone use a Vitamin E cream?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Scar Creams?

Nothing is going to make your scar go away, if you have a raised or red scar some of those creams might help with that a little bit. Just make sure you get the doc's okay to put something on your incision first.
Unread 01-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Scar Creams?

I have a lot of stretch marks from years of being very overweight so I have been using 100,000 IU Vitamin E cream on them and on the small incision scar from surgery. It will not make them disappear but it did make them a lot lighter. It is a real thick cream too and smells good. Use it after a shower and helps keep moisture in the skin.

Unread 01-12-2005, 10:00 PM
Scar Creams?

I have a map on my belly from all my surgeries and I can tell you the creams do help. You can really tell the ones that were treated and the ones that were not. Just wait until they are scars and not wounds.
Carrie
Unread 01-12-2005, 10:09 PM
Scar Creams?

Speaking from experience forget "over the counter" remedies. The best and cheapest product for getting rid of scars is pure Aloe Vera gel - best to use it straight from the plant every day if you have one - bottled aloe vera gel just doesn't do the job. I use it for cuts, burns, scars, skin irritations etc - worth a try girls
Unread 01-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Scar Creams?

I've been using this cream called scar zone. It's basically the generic brand of mederma. You can find it at walmart by the mederma. I love this cream. I have been using it since week 2 post op and my scar is almost gone. There is not any hardness and it isn't raised at all. Right now it just looks like a tiny pink line. Almost like a scratch but with no scab. I was so worried about the scaring because I have a horrible c-section scar so as soon as the doctor okayed me for the cream I've been using it. I think another thing that helped was that with my c-section I had 17 staples and with my hyster incision I only had internal stitches. But I will swear by this cream. Hope this helps.
Unread 01-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Scar Creams?

I have been using Mederma on my abdominal scar since my staples were removed. The doc said to make sure the incision was healed first and I did. The tube also says not to apply to open wounds. I think it has made a difference but I almost fainted when my husband told me how much he paid for it. $17 for a small tube and the directions say to apply 3-4 times a day for 8 weeks on new scars. A co-worker told me she had a friend who broke open Vitamin E gel tabs and applied that to her scar and it helped.
Unread 01-13-2005, 06:45 AM
Scar Creams?

I have only been using Mederma cream for about 5 days (since I was 2 weeks post-op TAH) and although, of course, I don't see much of a difference yet with the scar, I do see a difference when I use it in the swelling around the incision site. It also gave me the heebie-jeebies to think of "massaging" the cream into my incision site but if you're gentle it's not bad and I think the combination of the ointment and the massaging has helped with the swelling. This may be because some of the swelling is from fluid and the massaging helps to displace it. Either way, I figured something was better than nothing. Has anyone tried Ba Hen Ling? It's also supposed to help with the little bump people get above their incisions but I want to hear from other people before I try it. And also, heal alittle more.

greta

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register