horrible headaches | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

horrible headaches horrible headaches

Unread 01-12-2005, 10:51 AM
horrible headaches

Has anybody suffered from unbelievably horrible headaches that make you feel dizzy and nausious........? This is the 2nd time I've had this since my hyst. 1st time was the day after my 1 week appt. I figured since it was my first day out it was my body's way of not handling the extra activity. This one (today) is after I started easing back into life the last couple of days. Was out for a few hours a couple of days ago as a trial before I eased back into work. I seemed o.k. yesterday, so I went to work for a couple of hours. Today I woke up with a big headache that just kept growing all day until I felt miserable and broke down in tears on the phone to DH. Needless to say, I canceled plans to go into work today. I have always been prone to headaches for many reasons including sinuses, stress, hormones, neck problems, etc. In past years I have had it more or less under control, but it's hard for me to know if this is hyst related or not. I'm pretty sure it's a sign to slow down again. I know this is a mouthful, but I guess I needed to get this out. If anyone has had similar recovery experiences, I'd be glad to hear about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Caffeine...

Did you drink caffeinated beverages before surgery? I think this is my problem, because I was a huge soda drinker. Now all I drink is water and apple juice and the headache I had this morning was horrendous. I took a pain pill and went back to sleep. I have to say it was a total head headache. From the base of my skull around the ears to down below my eyes to my nose. It was almost migraine like, without the throbbing, just gripping pain.

I did try to drink some soda this morning, but I couldn't burp it up and wound up throwing up instead.

After I woke up the headache is either gone or the pain meds is covering it up. I am going to eat some chocolate later this afternoon to keep some caffeine in me but not going back to the soda if I can help it.

My thoughts are with you,
Unread 01-12-2005, 11:59 AM
horrible headaches

I noticed more headaches on the days that I don't eat as much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2005, 12:37 PM
horrible headaches

I had a huge headache on about day 8. I linked it to a change in medication. (Had switched from percocet to vicodin the night before) It was very similar to the ones I would get with my periods. I pretty much slept the day away, then called the Dr. The nurse told me I should NOT stop taking my pain meds, so she told me to take two. I promptly threw up. I called back and we decided to go back to the percocet (which made me itch, but was better than the headache or throwing up!). I've had small headaches since then, but nothing like that one. Plus, at my two week checkup, the Dr. prescribed something to take if it happens again. He said he even takes this drug himself.

Could it be your meds?

Virginia
Unread 01-12-2005, 01:30 PM
horrible headaches

I had a horrible migraine during week 3...it lasted 3 days...finally got feriocet (wonderful if you take 2!)...my dr thinks change in estrogen, so I started the patch...i started w/migraine on day 1 of patch, took meds before it got bad and knocked that baby out...knock on wood, so far so good since...it's been a week...

I hope you figure it out..headaches are awful!!
Unread 01-12-2005, 01:51 PM
horrible headaches

I was having headaches immediately after surgery. I thought they were rebound headaches from the ibupofen. But when I went for my 1 week check-up my doctor thought it was from being put in surgical menopause. She gave me an estrogen patch and I haven't had a headache since.
Unread 01-12-2005, 02:13 PM
horrible headaches

Thank you all for your answers. I am still suffering several hours later. It's an all encompasing (spelling??) headache from the top of my head to my shoulders and makes me feel sick ALL OVER. It's definitely not due to caffeine withdrawal. I also stopped drinking my usual diet coke, (I've been drinking lots of water) but I still drink coffee as usual. It can't be meds, cuz thankfully I never really had enough pain to be on anything serious other than ibuprofen here and there.
From what you all have told me it really could be a surgical menapause thing, or as I originally thought, my body's way of saying - too much too soon. Of course, when researching menapause headaches, I read that stress can bring them on, so maybe it's the combination of the two. At any rate, I will definitely discuss this with my dr. at my 4 week appt. next week. I got most of my info. from this forum and my dr. has not even mentioned hormone replacement yet..........?????????
Unread 01-12-2005, 02:39 PM
horrible headaches

I have been having headaches regularly for the past 2 1/2 weeks. Some are worse than others. I just figured it was due to the menopause or the fact that I have started taking herbal supplements trying to ward of the hot flashes. I can't remember if I had the headaches before or after the supplements started.
I will definitley be mentioning them to the DR on Tues....that is my 6 wk check up but I was hoping they would go away on their own by then.
Unread 01-12-2005, 05:08 PM
headaches

I had surgery 11/11/04 and in my second to third week of recovery I had terrible headaches for days at a time...ones that sent me to bed, dizziness, nausea etc. Four weeks later, I ended up with the same type of headaches. I did speak with my OB/Gyn about this and he did tell me that if in another four weeks (cyclical) these headaches appear again, then I will need to go on the estrogen patch as I am then probably low on estrogen, even though I have my ovaries.

So, I guess ladies a suggestions to you...keep track of when your headaches are so you can track them.

Happy recoveries to you all!!! It does get better : )

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register