Bacterial Infection from internal stitches | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bacterial Infection from internal stitches Bacterial Infection from internal stitches

Unread 01-12-2005, 11:02 AM
Bacterial Infection from internal stitches

Hi! Has anyone else had a problem with bacterial infections from lingering stitches? I am almost 3 months post op and for the past month and a half I have had recurrent infections. The doc said it's most likely due to a stitch that's still there.

Also, are there two kinds of stithces? I had one come out that was about an inch long and about the width of a Tampax brand tampon string and another that was like fishing line but much harder! Ouch! No wonder things have been sore in there! hehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2005, 11:11 AM

HELLO

What type of infections have you been getting. I am 12 weeks post op and have been continuously getting yeast infections. Since the middle of December I have taken 6 treatments for yeast. I am going out of my mind. Please let me know?

Thanks.

Debbie
Unread 01-12-2005, 11:36 AM

I'm not sure about the infections, but I think there are different kinds of stitches. My surgical report mentions several different things that I assume are different types of stitches. They are:

#1 chromic ligatures
#1 chromic Heaney transfixing ligatures
#1 chromic angle sutures
running 0 chromic ligature
2-0 chromic ligatures
running 0 Vicryl
subcuticular 3-0 Vicryl

They were used on areas such as arteries, ligaments, vaginal cuff, muscles, skin, etc. I found the surgical report to contain loads of information about specifically what happened during surgery. Now, I don't have a clue about all those stitches listed, but there must be MANY different kinds.

Maybe someone in the medical field could shed some light on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2005, 12:02 PM

I've had bacterial infections, then yeast, then bacterial, then yeast..... :hair It is enough to drive a person crazy and of course my boyfriend thinks I'm a walking medical problem since I am supposed to feel great after surgery! haha
I'm super sensitive, anyway, and have problems with infection/irritation, but this is much worse. I wonder if hormone shifts have anything to do with it. I kept my ovaries but from what I understand, they kind of freak out for a while.

I'm hoping it was the PROBLEM stitch that worked it's way out last night, it was different from the first......
Unread 01-12-2005, 12:12 PM

I am beginning to think that I am allergic to my DH sperm. It seems like after every time we have sex, I develop a yeast infection the next day. Does anyone else experience this?

Debbie
Unread 01-12-2005, 12:19 PM

Does a bacterial infection "feel" different than a yeast ? I ask as I'm a bit over 8 wks and have problems w/ what I think is yeast. I go to the Dr this upcoming Tues and have already taken Difulcan...but doesn't seem to help much. I'm curious about symptoms...so send me a PM if you can't go into detail here. I've NEVER been one to have yeast or any type of infection before...but now they seem to be in style with me.
Unread 01-12-2005, 12:20 PM

I'm the same way! It's very discouraging and I get so sick of either calling the doctor for something or running to buy Monistat. I used to think it was my ex husband, now it's the same with my boyfriend. I think it is just the friction that causes irritation and in sensitive people it leads to infection. That's just my guess. My doctor tested me for EVERYTHING despite me saying that I hadn't "slept around". It's been a mess and it's embarrassing! l
Unread 01-12-2005, 12:22 PM

I'm wondering if it's due to all the " traffic" in and out of there during the surgery! That area is usually pretty quiet and dark and it's own world...then wham! here comes all the instruments, stitches, etc. But...I'm getting a bit stressed with this.
Unread 01-12-2005, 12:22 PM

It is different, bacterial burns more than yeast, can sometimes have a "fishy" odor and a different discharge. It seems to cause a lot of "moisture" down there... kind of like you are sweating a lot.
Unread 01-12-2005, 12:24 PM

Maybe I'm dealing with bacterial then. No smelly smell that I've noticed. It does burn and feel all swollen and " poochy" when I walk a lot....which I do. I had a TVH in early Nov and I see your a bit earlier than that. I shall ask Dear ol' Doc about a bacterial. Thanks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register