Question about ovaries and uterus | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about ovaries and uterus Question about ovaries and uterus

Unread 01-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Question about ovaries and uterus

Has anyone ever heard of someone having only both ovaries removed and keeping the uterus? I have severe endo I have had 7 clean up surgeries. My Dr says I need a hysto and I plan to get one soon however I had been doing pretty good since my last clean up until recently. Now the problem I am facing is that my husband and I have booked and paid for a vacation that requires a very long plane ride leaving on Feb 18th . There is no way I would be recovered enough from a hysto if I did it now, in time to go on vacation. I would change our vacation plans but would loose our airfare. I had one ovary removed a few years ago when I had a tubal pregnancy so I only have one left. My question is why can’t the other ovary be removed to stop the endo, I don’t understand why the uterus has to be removed too. When I had my other ovary removed I was fine and back to myself in a weeks time.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2005, 05:08 PM

Courtney, once your ovaries are removed you will be thrown into a surgical menopause. In order to prevent the symptoms of menopause as well as protecting your bones and keeping your risk of developing heart disease at the least your estrogen will need to be replaced. The estogen will cause the lining of your uterus to build up. You will need to take progesterone in order to shed the build up of this lining. If you don't, you will be at a higher risk for develping cancer of the lining of your uterus. What would be the point of removing your ovaries? I realise that after surgery for this problem, taking replacement hormones are withheld for a period of time. This time period may not be the best to plan for a vacation either.

Since this surgery is elective, why not take your vacation first and then deal with this terrible sounding problem.

My deepest sympathies goes to all the women who suffer from this problem.
Unread 01-12-2005, 09:53 PM

CourtneyJ, you are right to question this. First, endo cannot be cured by a hyst or ovary removal. There is no cure. If you do not have endo on your uterus or ovaries there is not real need to take out healthy organs. Most endo 5% of it is not on the reproductive organs.
I would suggest you read up on endo, then decide.
Pearle is right, surgical menopsues is not going to make you, want to fly! And ovary removal is still huge surgery. I cannot see a vacation even in a month!
Anyway, here are some endo resources, please read them. I had a hyst with both ovaries removed and I am due for more surgery!

http://www.drcook.com/adca4.html

http://www.endometriosistreatment.org/

Carrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2005, 06:53 AM

HI Courtney

I wanted to share with you another thread that was started about a hysterectomy and endometriosis. You can read it here.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=181953

Endometriosis is caused when the lining of your uterus is shed each month. The lining of the uterus does not leave the body with the monthly menstrual cycle, instead the lining attaches itself to your other organs in the body.

Here are some wonderful articles to read on Endometriosis

I would agree that unless there is a instant need to have the hysterectomy done now, why not enjoy your vacation in Feb. and then make the decision after you have returned from vacation.

Unread 01-15-2005, 09:27 PM

one ovary was removed in '99 and the other was removed in 2000, due to chronic, huge, ovarian cysts. i successfully gave birth to a baby with egg donor in 2002, because i kept my uterus.
now, my uterus is heavily bleeding so i am waiting for endometrial biopsy results. so, to answer your question, yes, some people do keep their uterus even with oophorectomy. i went through surgical menapause with the oopherectomy, and i was put on hrt while still in hospital recovering from ooph surg., so i never had to suffer with hot flashes, etc. .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register